14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 8:16 AM by avibodha

cs4 color management?

avibodha Level 1
      Does Fireworks CS4 support color management? IE, does it assume all colors are sRGB and use the monitor profile to correctly show sRBG colors?

I'm hoping it has the same Color Settings as other adobe products or at least will use the monitor ICC profile that's set. Does anyone know?

I have a wide gamut monitor and without color management support colors are way off. Of course, photoshop and illustrator and Firefox 3 all do color management so no problem there.

thanks
        • 1. Re: cs4 color management?
          Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
          Fireworks doesnot support color management explicitly. You cannot embed an icc color profile to a png document and expect it to be used for rendering.

Fireworks uses the default RGB color space with the icc profile of the monitor which is set.
          • 2. Re: cs4 color management?
            avibodha Level 1
            Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

Just ordered CS4 design premium...was waiting to find out about this. For web design, this is all that's needed - just make sRGB look right on my calibrated monitor.

awesome.
            • 3. Re: cs4 color management?
              avibodha Level 1
              Just installed Fireworks CS4 and it is NOT *NOT* using the monitor ICC profile!

I don't see any settings for this...but colors are wide-gamut, not using my monitor profile. Ack! This is what I wanted to avoid....too bad I just bought it....hopefully they'll fix this as more people are using wide gamut monitors - or properly profiled monitors at least.

• 4. Re: cs4 color management?
                Can you tell where are you changing the icc color profiles in PS and Ai? Also do you mean that the colors are coming correctly in Fireworks iwthout using the color profile set in Fireworks?

How are you profiling your monitor and where are you setting that color profile?

Thanks
                • 5. Re: cs4 color management?
                  avibodha Level 1
                  quote:

Can you tell where are you changing the icc color profiles in PS and Ai?

I usually work in sRGB in the Color Settings dialog. If I open a non-sRGB (like Adobe RGB) I usually Convert to sRGB in photoshop or ai.

quote:

Also do you mean that the colors are coming correctly in Fireworks iwthout using the color profile set in Fireworks?

No colors displayed in Fireworks are correct. Whether I open an sRGB tagged image or not (just tried both again), the colors are sent "raw" to the monitor and are not using my monitor profile. It's very easy to tell with a wide-gamut monitor because the reds and greens are cartoonish in Fireworks. But they are correct in photoshop and illustrator.

quote:

How are you profiling your monitor and where are you setting that color profile?

I use Gretag Eye-One display 2 to profile my monitor. Setting profile in c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color (windows xp)

It's really unfortunate because clients like to see the actual colors we have chosen when we present a layout to them and I've been using Photoshop with a profiled monitor. I'm was hoping to use Fireworks but can't do graphic design in an app where all the colors are displayed incorrectly.

I'm hoping Adobe will update Fireworks soon to address this...
                  thanks
                  • 6. Re: cs4 color management?
                    The color settings dialog in Ai and PS handles the icc profiles and can be specified on a per document basis.

Fireworks uses the icc profile which is set through Right click on desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced->Color Management.

Any image which has a tagged color profile will revert to this default color profile if set.
                    • 7. Re: cs4 color management?
                      avibodha Level 1
                      Sorry, it's just not doing what you say.

Just did a test...took a web layout, saved with sRGB profile in Photoshop. Opened it in Fireworks and Photoshop. The display in Fireworks is not using the monitor profile while in Photoshop it is. It's easy to see in the reds - which are cartoonish in Fireworks, greens are oversaturated and the background blue is not the correct hue.

Here's a screen capture with both side by side:

Fireworks and Photoshop

Even the color palette tools in Fireworks are not using the monitor profile.

Wish you were right but for graphic design, it's kinda useless to have your clients' colors off...especially when you're designing the site.
                      • 8. Re: cs4 color management?
                        heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                        I am not seeing any noticable difference in our shots?

Also, are you using Pantones and/or CYMK colors in the PS Design? If so FW 'shifts' them to the nearest RGB, I believe.

Also, how about web safe colors? Check the blues/reds in PS, then via the Color Picker see if there is an 'alert cube'. This alert cube will indicate that it's not a web safe color.

h
                        • 9. Re: cs4 color management?
                          avibodha Level 1
                          Really not seeing a difference? The reds on the left buttons are much brighter - too bright. The background color on the left is a blue hue while the right background has a purple hue. Are you not seeing that?

I'm using my clients' palette and as with all my clients - the colors must be accurate.

No, using RGB colors and web safe colors are not relevant to design today. Was only relevant when people had graphics cards with limited colors available.

• 10. cs4 color management?
                            Takashi Morifusa Employee Moderator
                            Because not all browser supported ICC profile embedded image rendering, I suggest you turn off color management in Photoshop to match the color to support majority of browser.

Here is good resources to using Photoshop to adjust color.
                            http://www.gballard.net/psd/save_for_web_embed_ICC_profile.html# Text">Text
                            • 11. Re: cs4 color management?
                              avibodha Level 1
                              Hi Takashi, I know you're trying to help and I appreciate that.

But turning off color management is not the solution.

As graphic designers, we shoot for sRGB color correct layouts and designs for web usage. Unless you have an sRGB monitor that is very close to sRGB natively, and there are a few, you will not be seeing correct colors when you're designing if you turn off color management. That's the whole point of it after all - to make your monitor match a standard. When you turn it off, you're just seeing your monitor's variant on sRGB that the manufacturer made - not a standard, not what your client will want to approve, and not necessarily what the majority of people will see. Like it or not, sRGB is the standard for the web and that's what I think we should design for.

(the image I like to above has sRGB profile embedded)

thanks

• 12. Re: cs4 color management?
                                In simpler words, Fireworks will not respect any embedded icc profiles in an image file

Thanks
                                • 13. Re: cs4 color management?
                                  Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                  That sure is a cute site...
                                  • 14. cs4 color management?
                                    avibodha Level 1
                                    Unfortunately that's right....maybe we can get Adobe to update Fireworks...I put in a Feature Request...

Thanks Paevo!