19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 9:09 AM by lam08

Easy Log in Function?

lam08
      I just want a simple log in form perhaps xml driven, which restricts access to a webpage.

I would do this via mysql, but my hosting service doesnt support internet access to databases and I dont know how to run it internally. My hosting service also doesnt support coldfusion.
      This is why Im thinking xml driven (xml file not in public location).

Is there a nice and simple way to sort this? I think I read frontpage has a function to create this but dreamweaver doesnt seem to - does it?
        • 1. Re: Easy Log in Function?
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          >I just want a simple log in form perhaps xml driven, which restricts access to a webpage.

The easiest way is to simply use your host control panel to password protect a directory. No need for a xml driven anything.

>I would do this via mysql, but my hosting service doesnt support internet
          >access to databases and I dont know how to run it internally.

Huh? Do you mean that you can't connect DW to your remote database? That's pretty common these days. You can install a local version for development.

>My hosting service also doesnt support coldfusion.

Why is the relevant?

>This is why Im thinking xml driven (xml file not in public location).

You could, but what scripting language are you planning on using?

• 2. Easy Log in Function?
            lam08 Level 1
            unfortunately protecting a directory simply wont cut it. Doing it that way, doesnt log the user out. So if they are viewing the content on a public computer, all subsequent users can access the location.

I need something that requests a password each time the location is accessed, without getting too complicated. So i was thinking xml and php

My hosting service wont allow DW to connect to the database across the net. Ive been finding a number of people saying this across other forums (becoming more common to not have than to have).

If I put a sqldb outside of the public location - how do I get DW to connect to it?
            • 3. Re: Easy Log in Function?
              >If I put a sqldb outside of the public location - how do I get DW to connect to it?

The only reason you really need DW to be able to connect to the db is if you want to use one of it's server behaviors, so that it can read the tables and create the recordsets. What most people do is install the dbms locally on their pc's.

And although I would never consider doing this myself, you can use an text file (xml) to store credentials. Here's a php example:
              http://blog.mohdrashidi.com/sources-for-share/2008/06/08/php-xml-xml-login.html
              • 4. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                lam08 Level 1
                Sorry, but i dont understand. Does DW not need to connect to the database to obtain the password information?

Ive also already tried the info on that link earlier today, and it always returns a value of "user inactive".....
                • 5. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                  malcster2 Level 1
                  blimey, who is your host that has no mysql service?
                  • 6. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                    lam08 Level 1
                    daily.co.uk

They supply the database and storage just not the facility to connect to it
                    • 7. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                      lam08 Level 1
                      how does it work via local system for online password restriction
                      • 8. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                        >Sorry, but i dont understand. Does DW not need to connect to the
                        >database to obtain the password information?

No, not really. It only needs it to use DW server behaviors or for Live Data view. It's your web page that NEEDS to be able to connect to the database. But if you don't know how to write code and are planning on having DW behaviors do this for you, then you will need to have it connect - either to a local copy of the database or a remote that allows connections.
                        • 9. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                          lam08 Level 1
                          I cant get it to connect to a local copy.
                          When I go to server > recordset > define > what location do I put in the MYSQL server?
                          • 10. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                            lam08 Level 1
                            Why isnt this straightforward - I just want password..any help???
                            • 11. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                              >Why isnt this straightforward - I just want password..any help???

It is pretty straightforward. Just to be clear, have you already installed MySQL locally on your PC?
                              • 12. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                lam08 Level 1
                                I assume so, Im using mac os x.....
                                • 13. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                  >I assume so, Im using mac os x.....

You assume so? You don't know for sure if you've installed MySQL on your mac? Unless you have installed it, it ain't gonna be there.
                                  • 14. Easy Log in Function?
                                    lam08 Level 1
                                    Ok 2 things,
                                    1) YES - its preinstalled I just checked. I'm using a high-end business mac, so presumed it was there and it is.
                                    2) I started this post for some help in getting a password on a webpage. The messages Im getting are starting to sound brusque.

Can someone please help with this? Ive been on a number of forums and it seems loads of people are having the same problem as I am, but the resolution gets very complicated.

• 15. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                      >1) YES - its preinstalled I just checked. I'm using a high-end business mac, so presumed it was there and it is.

OK, good. What did you name the database that you created to store the database/user info?

>2) I started this post for some help in getting a password on a webpage.
                                      >The messages Im getting are starting to sound brusque.

Well we are trying to help, but the replies you have given have not always been clear so it takes a few iterations to sort things out.
                                      • 16. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                        Level 7

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:10:37 +0000 (UTC)
                                        lam08 said :

> daily.co.uk
                                        >
                                        > They supply the database and storage just not the facility to connect to it

Any ISP supplying MySQL facilities will also provide some form of "Control
                                        Panel" access to allow you to create your database. Even if they have done this
                                        for you and provided you with a login name and password they should still
                                        provide some form of "Control Panel" access, often using a package such as
                                        phpMyAdmin which will allow you to run SQL scripts to set up your tables etc.

Most ISPs these days do not permit direct remote access to a database for
                                        security reasons. That does not mean that Dreamweaver cannot connect to it.
                                        This article may help :

http://www.dbasedeveloper.co.uk/DWtoMySQL/DWtoMySQL.htm

Of course your ISP provider is not going to teach you how to do anything you do
                                        not know how to do, that is not their role. Or perhaps you mean something else
                                        by "the facility to connect to it"?

--
                                        Ronnie MacGregor
                                        Scotland

Ronnie at
                                        dBASEdeveloper
                                        dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 17. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                          lam08 Level 1
                                          Ronnie - thank you so much for responding. The weblink explains everything I need to know.

yes daily supply the ability to create and maintain the database - just do not allow connection to it. So I exported it and uploaded it, but then couldnt get dreamweaver to connect to it. The pages in your link provide that advise - thank you!!!

And of course, I wasnt expecting daily to provide me with technical support and they have been a very good provider - I have a number of domains with them and Ive been completely satisfied with their service. I just didnt know how to connect to the db they provide - hence my post here.....

thanks again
                                          • 18. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                            Level 7

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:16:00 +0000 (UTC)
                                            lam08 said :

> Ronnie - thank you so much for responding. The weblink explains everything I
                                            > need to know.

You're welcome ... I'm glad it helped.

Now to your original question ....

> I just want a simple log in form perhaps xml driven, which restricts access to
                                            > a webpage.

If you need a ready made PHP/MySQL package to provide logins, page level user
                                            permission control, with the option of login logging, login attempt logging,
                                            page logging, and a whole host of other features and you have a budget of GBP
                                            99.00 then drop me an email with a subject of "Login Manager Plus".

Knowledge level required :
                                            The ability to run a provided SQL script to create tables and default data.
                                            The ability to copy and paste a PHP header to each page you wish to control.
                                            The ability to insert your own connection parameters into a provided PHP
                                            connection script.

--
                                            Ronnie MacGregor
                                            Scotland

Ronnie at
                                            dBASEdeveloper
                                            dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 19. Re: Easy Log in Function?
                                              lam08 Level 1
                                              Yes please! I'll email you now.