3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2006 1:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Named anchor links with .shtml extention?...

DIY_Lobotomy Level 1
      I have a page that I am using server-side includes on, so I have used the .shtml extention, as opposed to the regular .html extention...

I want to have a named anchor on the page, but it doesn't seem to work with the .shtml extention as it would with the .html extention. Do I have to do something diffrent? I've never tried this before...

Normally, I'd link to "page.html#anchor", but if I try to link to "page.shtml#anchor" I get a dead link. Any ideas? Thanks!...

--Matt
        • 1. Re: Named anchor links with .shtml extention?...
          Level 7
          .oO(DIY_Lobotomy)

>I have a page that I am using server-side includes on, so I have used the
          >.shtml extention, as opposed to the regular .html extention...
          >
          > I want to have a named anchor on the page, but it doesn't seem to work with
          >the .shtml extention as it would with the .html extention.

Named anchors/fragment identifiers are handled on the client-side. They
          have nothing to do with the server or any file extension.

>Do I have to do
          >something diffrent?

No.

> Normally, I'd link to "page.html#anchor", but if I try to link to
          >"page.shtml#anchor" I get a dead link.

Then "page.shtml" will be dead as well, so it's probably a problem with
          your server. Are SSI enabled on that machine?

Micha
          • 2. Re: Named anchor links with .shtml extention?...
            DIY_Lobotomy Level 1
            Okay, I found out what was happening, but I still don't understand why...

Everything worked fine online when I uploaded it, but it still doesn't work locally (for testing purposes) with the .shtml extention. Does that make sense? Why would that be? Thanks!...

--Matt
            • 3. Re: Named anchor links with .shtml extention?...
              Level 7
              .oO(DIY_Lobotomy)

>Okay, I found out what was happening, but I still don't understand why...
              >
              > Everything worked fine online when I uploaded it, but it still doesn't work
              >locally (for testing purposes) with the .shtml extention. Does that make
              >sense?

Yep.

> Why would that be?

SSI have to be enabled on the server. It's quite possible that they are
              disabled on your machine. What server do you use?

If it's an Apache put a .htaccess file in your website root directory
              with this line it:

Options +Includes

Micha