4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 5:18 AM by Newsgroup_User

Publishing

bobvzip
      This may sound like a stupid question, but I am used to working in Nvu and when I have completed my changes, I just hit the Publish button and it updates the production website.

I am using Dreamweaver for the first time to help out the owner of my company and am having a hard time trying to republish my changes. I know the changes were saved, as I am able to bring the templates down from the host server and they are there, but how do I get those changes to reflect on the site?

Bob
        • 1. Re: Publishing
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          Please describe exactly what you are doing, and what you are expecting. Templates do not accomplish anything on the server. They are used within DW to update the local child pages that are linked to them. Those local pages must then be uploaded to the server.
          • 2. Re: Publishing
            bobvzip Level 1
            Well, I did a "get" to pull down all the pages and images to my pc. I located the templates that needed some changes, made the changes and saved them. I then did a "put" to the remote server. At that time, I was trying to then do a publish to implement the changes to the actual website. Obviously, I am missing a step in here somewhere. The help doc is not very helpful, as least for me.

Thanks,

Bob
            • 3. Re: Publishing
              Sw Jiten Level 1
              well , you actually have several ways to upload the files and replace the last ones. It is not totally necessary to upload with dreamweaver. For example you can upload with the FTP. there are many softwares for free (freewares) to do it. If you want to use Dreamweaver, then just follow this example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZ4GkWoZKE

Good luck !
              • 4. Re: Publishing
                Level 7
                PUT is the same as PUBLISH. If you PUT your files to the remote site, then
                they are published.

As bregent says, though, templates have no function on the remote server.
                They only work inside DW to change the local files, which must all be PUT
                after the change.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"bobvzip" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:geltau$mv1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Well, I did a "get" to pull down all the pages and images to my pc. I
                > located
                > the templates that needed some changes, made the changes and saved them.
                > I
                > then did a "put" to the remote server. At that time, I was trying to then
                > do a
                > publish to implement the changes to the actual website. Obviously, I am
                > missing a step in here somewhere. The help doc is not very helpful, as
                > least
                > for me.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Bob
                >