37 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 2:01 AM by jellybridge

Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows

pete_5419
      When publishing a Mac projector file from Windows XP, the files created do not function correctly when I test them on a Macintosh computer (OS 10.5). Even though I publish as a projector, the application is not self running and will display a message that Shockwave is required to run the program. The program will run properly on Macintosh computers that have Shockwave installed.

It seems that the files that are created in the Frameworks folder (within the .app/Contents folder) have data in their resource forks and this gets stripped off on the Windows system. I thought Director 11 had resolved this issue so that you could publish a cross-platform projector that would be ready-to-run.

If I move the .app folder to a Mac and replace the Frameworks folder with a Frameworks folder that has been created with Director 11 on a Macintosh system, the program runs correctly without a Shockwave install.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, is there a fix for it? I need to be able to publish both Windows projectors and Mac projectors from my Windows system.
        • 1. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
          Level 7
          Did you move the app to a HFS drive before running it? That is: did you
          run it from an HFS drive, or from a FAT formatted drive?
          • 2. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
            pete_5419 Level 1
            Hi Sean,

Yes I am running this from a Macintosh HFS+ formatted drive. I think the problem is that the files are originating from the Windows system which already has ignored the resource fork data and left it behind before the file is moved to the HFS+ drive.

Has anyone else successfully created Macintosh projectors from their Windows systems? One word of caution when testing this, if the computer that you test it on has Shockwave installed, it will fool you into thinking that it worked as expected. Be sure to test on a system without Shockwave.
            • 3. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
              mikem75 Level 1
              I've created a number of projectors on a PC and had them run on a Macs. Check to see if you have any xtras in your movie that require shockwave. If there's an xtra that requires shockwave you will get that message. In particular, if you have any mp3's in your movie that will trigger a shockwave xtra to be added to your movie.

You can get around the mp3 issue by reloading the files as .mov's. Then you should be good to go on the Mac.

Mike M
              • 4. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                pete_5419 Level 1
                Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

...a couple of questions for you since you said that you have created a number of projectors on a PC and had them run on a Macs.

Are you running Director 11?
                Are you certain that the Macs that you tested the projectors on did not have Shockwave installed?

I'm pretty sure that the issue that I'm running into is not related to an Xtra since simply replacing the Frameworks folder in the Mac bundle with a Frameworks folder that was created on the Mac platform will make the projector run properly.

• 5. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                  pete_5419 Level 1
                  I did not hear back from the previous poster that said they had published movies on the PC and had them work on the Mac, so I am going to ask again.

Please note, I am asking users of Director 11 only ( I too have published many Director projectors on PC and run them on the Mac with version of Director previous to Director 11). Also, when testing the Director 11 projector on the Mac, make sure the system you are testing it on does not have Shockwave installed.

So my question is: Has anybody been able use Director 11 on the PC to publish a Mac projector (which creates a .app Mac bundle) and been able to run the projector on a Mac that does not have Shockwave installed? Note: My publish setting under the Projector tab is set to Standard player type.
                  • 6. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                    mikem75 Level 1
                    Pete - sorry, I didn't check back to check on my post. Yes, I am using Director 11, on a PC, Windows Vista Ultimate. I have created projectors on the PC and they run successfully on the Mac. The Macs did not have shockwave installed as far as I know. The Macs I tested on are at my office and I can check them next time I'm there.

I did nothing special, other than remove the xtra's that triggered the shockwave installation. The projectors worked flawlessly on Macs.

The xtra which gave me problems was swacmpr.xtra. This extra is loaded by default as soon as you create a project. That xtra if included in a projector will ask the user to install Shockwave or update it. If you're not using any shockwave material (mp3 in particular) you can remove that xtra and give that a go.

Mike M
                    • 7. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                      pete_5419 Level 1
                      Hey Mike,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you verifying your version of Director and operating system. I am using Windows XP.

I tried your suggestion about removing Xtras. I created an empty Director movie and removed all Xtras then published it. When I tested this projector on a Mac (OS 10.4) that does not have Shockwave installed, it still would not run. It displayed the 'Shockwave needed' prompt.

If you have a chance to verify that your projectors run on systems that do not have Shockwave installed, I would be very interested.

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                        gravideo Level 1
                        Mike, I'm confused on placement of the .app folder created by Director 11 in a Hybrid CD. Do you simply place the folder as is in the root of the HFS partition or do you have to separate the subordinate folders in some way so that the application (projector) is easily found by the Mac user?
                        • 9. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                          pete_5419 Level 1
                          The Mac .app folder should be left intact. On the Macintosh this will appear to the user as a single executable file.

One note about the hybrid CD format: Toast will create the Mac side of the Hybrid CD as an HFS standard volume when it writes the CD. This will cause the same problem that I started this thread about. The files in the Frameworks folder will get trashed and the projector will look for Shockwave to be installed on the computer in order to run the projector. The only way around this (that we have found) is to create an HFS+ disk image and put your .app folder in the disk image. Then write the disk image to the CD. The user will need to mount the disk image to access the files, but the Frameworks folder will be intact.

Make sure your application runs correctly without Shockwave before you write it to a CD.
                          • 10. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                            gravideo Level 1
                            Pete,

It sounds as if you're saying that my approach may work.
                            1) From Director 11, I publish both a windows and a Mac projector with my xtras imbedded in the projector.
                            2) I use MacImage to compile a disk image consisting of an ISO partition containing the Windows projector, an HFS partition conatining the .app folder, and (in MacImage) a third area containing all common files.
                            3) I use Roxio CD Creator Classic and select Burn a Disk Image to CD. The compiled image fro Mac Image is then Burnt to CD.
                            From reading your post, I'm assuming that the files in the Frameworks folder will remain intact.
                            • 11. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                              pete_5419 Level 1
                              gravideo,

The process that you describe sounds correct. If not for the description of the flaw below, I would say it would work. Also, I have never used MacImage before so I can't speak about it.

The flaw in the plan relates to the original subject of this thread. If you create the projector on a PC, the Framework files may already be trashed before you can do anything with them. This does not mean that your files will not run on the Mac, but it means that your files would require that Shockwave is installed on the Mac system in order to run your files.

Also, the Mac disk image must be formatted as HFS+, not HFS. In briefly looking at the MacImage description online it refers to the disk images that it will create as HFS but not HFS+.
                              • 12. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                gravideo Level 1
                                Pete,

I guess I won't know until I try it next week.

Once one invokes the Compile command in MacImage, a dialog box appears in which on can check Mac OS Extended (HFS +). So, st least I have that going for me.

Thanks for helping out.
                                • 13. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                  mikem75 Level 1
                                  Pete: I've had a chance to look at one of the Macs at my office. I can confirm that it does not have Shockwave installed (I even ran the uninstaller to be sure). The app runs correctly on the Mac - OSX 10.4.11.

Now, I am running the app off of a flash drive. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. As mentioned, the app was created with Director 11 running on Windows Vista Ultimate. I did nothing special, created the app and then copied it onto the flash drive. Plugged it into the Mac and all is well. The app plays a number of quicktime videos and audio files. As mentioned earlier, I did run into troubles with Shockwave when I attempted to play the audio files as MP3's. In that case Director wanted to use the swacmpr xtra which triggered a shockwave download or install. I removed that xtra from the movie, compiled and all is good.

Not sure what problems you might be having.

Mike M
                                  • 14. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                    mikem75 Level 1
                                    Pete: I just noticed that you are having problems running on Mac OS 10.5. We are generally still on 10.4 here, but I do have a Macbook Pro which is running 10.5.

I'll do a test on that today and report back to you.

Mike M
                                    • 15. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                      pete_5419 Level 1
                                      Hey Mike,

I just noticed that you replied. I sure appreciate you taking the time to verify your setup.

It is very interesting that you are not experiencing the same issues that I am.

I am running Windows XP PRO - SP2 with NTFS file system.
                                      • 16. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                        ytlevine Level 1
                                        I don't really want to disturb the thread.
                                        One quick question:
                                        Is there any software that I will allow me to burn a Mac-only compatible partition on a cd from Windows?
                                        Thanks.
                                        • 17. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                          Level 7
                                          > Is there any software that I will allow me to burn a Mac-only compatible partition on a cd from Windows?

Yes. I think Nero can do it, but you need an external HFS-formatted drive
                                          • 18. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                            pete_5419 Level 1
                                            quote:

Originally posted by: ytlevine
                                            I don't really want to disturb the thread.
                                            One quick question:
                                            Is there any software that I will allow me to burn a Mac-only compatible partition on a cd from Windows?
                                            Thanks.

I think this is what gravideo was referring to with MacImage earlier in this thread.

• 19. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                              pete_5419 Level 1
                                              I ran into another reference to the issue of publishing a Director 11 Mac projector on a Windows computer and the projector requiring Shockwave to play back the file on the Macintosh.

http://www.directorforum.com/showthread.php?s=a8c661d69a73443a676b060960d0249a&t=1414

A quote from that link:

quote:

"Does the Mac projector live on a volume that's formatted as something other than HFS? (e.g. ISO-9660, FAT) If so, the projector will fail to open and natter about needing SW 11. I found that bug when doing a bit of work for Deano U, got busy with something else, and forgot to log it. Anyway, D11 projectors need to live on some flavor of an HSF volume."

The problem, as I see it, is not just that the files need to be on an HFS+ formatted drive at run time, but they can not have passed through any other type of hard drive file systems at any other time (unless they are contained within an HFS+ formatted disk image). So, my question is, how can this work when the files used to generate the projector live on an NTFS formatted drive before the projector is even created?

I am willing to be proven wrong about this, but from my testing, that is the conclusion that I have come up with.

In an earlier reply, Mike said that he has successfully published from Win to Mac, so I must be missing something.

Mike, if you are still following this thread, the way we are making sure that Shockwave is not involved in running the projector on the Mac is by going to "Library:Application Support:Adobe" and pulling the Shockwave 11 folder out to the desktop, then attempting to launch the projector.
                                              • 20. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                mikem75 Level 1
                                                Pete - I can confirm that my application runs successfully on Mac OS 10.5.5 and OS 10.4.11 with no difficulties. I checked the library\application support\adobe folder on the 10.5.5 machine and there is no shockwave folder in there. So, unless there's another way to confirm shockwave is not installed on the machine??

Again, I authored on Windows Vista Ultimate in Director 11. I created the Mac app right along with the Windows app and then copied it to a flash drive which was ultimately duplicated and distributed. I've had no tech concerns from any of the apps we've distributed. I have run the app on multiple Macs and PC's.

I was actually quite surprised at how easy the whole process was. Other than the mp3 issue previously described, it worked flawlessly. Certainly if there's anything I can do to help the process along to discover what the problem seems to be, I'll give you a hand. The only difference I can see between what I've done and what you've done is Vista.

Weird.

Mike M

• 21. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                  pete_5419 Level 1
                                                  Mike, thanks again for the reply.

I agree that Vista seems to be the only difference between my process and yours. I'm not sure why that would make the difference??

Anybody else running into this?
                                                  • 22. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                    pete_5419 Level 1

I have seen some similar posts about this problem, but no definitive answers. This is a bump to bring this thread back into view. Maybe some of the items discussed here will help pin this down.

• 23. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                      PhilGibson

Well, I've taken a bit of a break from looking at this issue, which seems very much related to the issue I have been having, and I've managed to use a friends copy of Director 11.5 to do a new test. 11.5 still does not work.

In my situation, I am making Mac and PC projector files from a PC running Director 11 (or 11.5) and then they are being burned from a Mac as ROM content on a DVD Video disc (UDF formatted).

In Mac os 10.5, the Projectors will not run and say thet they need Shockwave installed to play (which they don't cause they are standalone projectors).

I've also tested the same projector on a USB drive, moved it to the Mac, ran it with no problems and then burned that working projector to a UDF volume CD and ran that cd in the same computer, where it refused to run and needed shockwave.

At this point, both 11 and 11.5 are not suitable for our primary use at work.

Has anyone figured out why the newer mac ".app" projectors don't want to run on non-mac volumes?

• 24. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                        Carsten Moritz

Hi Pete,

I am using Director 11.5 on a Mac (Snow Leopard installed) and get the same message "Shockwave is required ..." as you described a year ago. That means it does not have anything to do with windows XP or Vista ;-)

Do you have a stable way to create a projector without getting this message?

Thanks,

Carsten

• 25. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                          PhilGibson Level 1

I have been able to get a working Mac projector, but only if it stays on a Mac formatted disc. A lot of what I have been doing lately is ROM content on a DVD Video disc, which is UDF. Anything Mac OS X 10.5 and up gets that Shockwave warning. It looks to me like the application package either has aliases in it which break when it moves to a non mac formatted disc, or files that do not have an extension and lose their resource forks when it goes to a non mac disc.

Since it works before burning it to a disc, Adobe blames it on the burning process, which there really isn't anything I can change to that. I have not been able to find a work around and have been forced to continue working in Director MX 2004 for the time.

If you find anything out, please let me know. I'm still looking for solutions from time to time, but I've more been looking at other software packages to handle the projects I need to finish.

• 26. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                            Carsten Moritz Level 1

Hi Phil,

thanks for your reply. I am forced to use Director because it's a project that started 6 years ago and needs to be updated from time to time.

I am burning a Hybrid-CD-ROM with toast, that means I have a MAC HFS+ partition and a ISO9660. Even in this way I get the Shochwave Message.

In an other forum I've read the following way to avoid the message:

1. open Toast and create a temporary disc image (I am using the german version and it's called "Hilfsmittel -> temporäre Partition erstellen ...") with Format "Mac OS Extended" - now you get an icon at the desktop as if you inserted a normal cd-rom

2. open director and create a projector directly on this temporary disk image

3. Create a user defined hybrid CD-ROM (you need to activate "support old disc formats" in preferences)

4. burn disc

Doing so I get an error message "Disc cannot be burned error code -34" or something like that.

And so it seems to be a Toast-Problem now, but I've no idea ...

• 27. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                              Carsten Moritz Level 1

Now I could burn a hybrid-disc with toast, but it's the same: I get the Shockwave-Message. But if I mount the temporary-hfs+-partition (which is the source of the disc) and open the projector in it, it works.

Burning a hfs+ partition to a disc seems to make a hfs out of it. And so adobe's answer makes sense: the source of the problem is the burning process. But indeed you can not do anything against it.

That's great: I am using the latest software on a mac and I can create well working Windows and MAC-projectors, but I can not distribute the mac version ;-)

PLEASE HELP!

Is anyone out there who can help me?

Thanks.

• 28. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                Mike Blaustein Level 4

You could try making a DMG of the Mac projector and its support files.  Then you could burn the DMG to the CD.  The user would mount that and the program could be copied to the Applications folder or run from there.  That is the standard way of distributing Mac software.  You can make a DMG using the built in Disk Utility that comes with the Mac OS, or there are several third party programs to do it as well.

• 29. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                  PhilGibson Level 1

The HFS partition on the Custom Hybrid disc will have a file name limit of 31 total characters. It is possible that something in the application package is getting its name cut off when it is burned, possibly.

See if there is anything that has been renamed on your disc after it is burned in the package contents... I'm not sure if you would be able to edit those in any way that wouldn't screw things up though.

• 30. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                    Carsten Moritz Level 1

Thanks, Mike,

I've had this idea too, but I have 405 MB video content, that needs to be used by win and mac (as common used content on a hybrid-CD) and I am limited to CD-ROM (something like 650 MB) ...

• 31. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                      Carsten Moritz Level 1

Thanks Phil,

could work, I'll check it. The projector contains many strange files and aliases.

• 32. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                        Carsten Moritz Level 1

Hi Folks,

I've got a solution that is frighteningly easy for people like me using Dir11.5 on a Mac (SnowLeo 10.6.2) and want to create hybrid-CD-ROMs.

The solution is the way the disc is burned. So far I've used "user defined hybrid" within toast.

Now I've used "Mac & PC" - take a look at the screenshot. Files can set to be "hidden" and ticked to be shown on WIN or MAC only. And that works fine without any problems.

Does anybody know, which operating systems support this kind of hybrid disc?

I've tested the following:

OSX 10.6.2 (SnowLeopard) - OK

OSX 10.4.11 (TIGER) - OK

WIN XP Pro - OK

Can anyone help me with

OSX 10.5 (Leopard) - ?

WIN 95 - ?

WIN 98 - ?

WIN 98 SE - ?

WIN 2000 - ?

WIN NT4 - ?

WIN Vista - ?

Win 7 - ?

I've made a test project; saved as toast-image:

www.mo-ca.de/cd-rom_similar_to_hybrid.zip

If anybody out there had one of the named operating systems (and osx with toast), it would be great if she/he could:

1. download the zip

2. extract the .toast-file

3. right-mouseclick and OPEN WITH TOAST it

4. burn it to a cd-rom an test it under

Thanks, C

• 34. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                          PhilGibson Level 1

From what I understand, the "Mac & PC" option in Toast will make a disc that is pretty much compatible with most OSs.

It allows you to specify separate files for the Mac and the PC side of things. What it doesn't do is let you set icon layout or a background image for the window, like the Custom Hybrid option does.

I've personally used "Mac & PC" discs on Mac OS X 10.4-10.6, Windows 98 SE, XP, and Vista with no issues.

This is great if it can solve you problems. I just wish there was a solution for making the Mac projectors work as ROM content on DVDs (UDF volumes), which is what I'm working with 75% of the time as of late. It's primarily 10.5 and newer where the issue pops up, as Apple seems to have done something with how the ROM portion is read with 10.5+ as opposed to 10.4.

• 35. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                            Carsten Moritz Level 1

Hi Phil,

thanks. You're right, it's impossible to set icon or background image, but it seems to work stable.

Do you know, if the D11.5MAC-generated projector works under MAC OS 9 / WIN95/98/NT/2000/Vista/7?

I feel sorry for you because of the UDF file system. Therefore I have no idea.

But apple has changed the way how files are connected with their applications. You can now (since 10.5) define that all files with a certain file extension has to be opened with a concrete program. But I also know that it doesn't work correctly in all cases. So may be it has something to do with that instead the way how the ROM is read with 10.5+ opposed to 10.4

Am 11.12.2009 um 16:20 schrieb PhilGibson:

From what I understand, the "Mac & PC" option in Toast will make a disc that is pretty much compatible with most OSs.

It allows you to specify separate files for the Mac and the PC side of things. What it doesn't do is let you set icon layout or a background image for the window, like the Custom Hybrid option does.

I've personally used "Mac & PC" discs on Mac OS X 10.4-10.6, Windows 98 SE, XP, and Vista with no issues.

This is great if it can solve you problems. I just wish there was a solution for making the Mac projectors work as ROM content on DVDs (UDF volumes), which is what I'm working with 75% of the time as of late. It's primarily 10.5 and newer where the issue pops up, as Apple seems to have done something with how the ROM portion is read with 10.5+ as opposed to 10.4.

>

• 36. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                              PhilGibson Level 1

I have only done very limited testing with Director 11 and 11.5. Based off of what the specs page at Adobe says, the projectors are compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and Windows XP SP2 and Vista. I would guess that the programs would run in the newer OSs for each platform as well, since it would kind of suck if they didn't. The only one I had tried is Mac OS X 10.5, which the projector did work in (just not from my disc).

Based on that, you can't get Director 11.5 apps to run in Mac OS 9, or Windows XP SP1 and lower.

I'm glad that you are having luck with your new burning setup.

• 37. Re: Director 11 - Publishing Mac Projector from Windows
                                                                                jellybridge

Hi All,

just a quick update and a little request.

having done a complete clean Director 11.5 install on a new machine i can now build OS X projectors that give the 'Shockwave not installed' error.  Apparently this can be fixed by copying the contents of the 'contents:frameworks' folder from a working OS X projector package to one with broken resourse forks.

would it be possible for someone to build a standard director 11.5 OS X projector and upload it somewhere where i could grab it and try copying over the relevant files.  that would be fantastic.

merry xmas and happy new year to you all!

jamie.