6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2008 4:29 AM by pmsquillace RSS

PSD file to AI

pmsquillace
      Hello,

I have a PSD file with layers that all contain smart objects. When I open those smart objects they open the vector image in AI.

I need to save this file the way it is in PSD to AI so I can open it there and not Photoshop cs3

How do I do this or I would have to open each one in AI and drag each image and re create the image again?

Thanks for any help on this as I am stumped.

P
        • 1. Re: PSD file to AI
          Ann Shelbourne Community Member
          >When I open those smart objects they open the vector image in AI.

No, they open a dependent file in Ai not the original one.

Make changes in the dependent Ai file and Save (NOT Save As) to the same place; and your Photoshop SO will update to show the changes that you made.
          • 2. Re: PSD file to AI
            pmsquillace Community Member
            Thanks Ann for your help.

I don't need the image changed as much as I need to save this image as an AI file for printing.

Is that possible?

So basically the psd had many layers that have vector art in them. I need to export the whole thing layers and all, and be able to open it as an illustrator file with the vector art editable.

I tried just opening the psd in illustrator but it did not do what I thought it would.

There does not seem to be any other options for that.

Thanks again,

P
            • 3. Re: PSD file to AI
              Ann Shelbourne Community Member
              Try saving the file as a Photoshop PDF which will retain your Vectors.
              • 4. Re: PSD file to AI
                well,

There were a few options and I gave that a go like 3 times all with different options selected and when I opened it in Illustrator, it seems like it flattened the image into 2 layers.

Think this might just be a lost cause now, unless you have some other advice.

Thanks Ann for all your help with this,

P
                • 5. Re: PSD file to AI
                  This might be a bizarre question but why did you build a vector file in photoshop in the first place?
                  • 6. Re: PSD file to AI
                    Ha Ha.... I didn't build it.

Where I work, we make custom products for clients and request vector art to be submitted.

When the customer service rep told me they could not open this .psd file they sent it to me to ask me what that extension was.

After I told them this was from a program called photo shop that I would need to open it for them is when I ran into this issue.

I knew of smart objects, I just haven't had much experience dealing with them.

Which brings me to here,

:)

Paul