12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 8:14 AM by jacksonhfulyss

Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error

Yesterday I installed CS4 on my Macbook first gen with OSX 10.5.5

I have a jpg that when opened in Photoshop can not be saved. When I Save As as either a jpg or psd I get the following error:

"Could not complete your request because of a program error"

Opening an existing psd file, creating a new psd file, or even opening other jpgs I am able to save with errors.

It almost seems like there is something about this one jpg which Photoshop doesn't like.

Anyone else experience this?
        • 1. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
          Nini Tjader Level 4
          Only that jpg or every jpg?
          • 2. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
            I'm getting the same error on Windows XP. Could not save "filename" because of a program error.

Its a jpg on a network drive.
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
              Neil_Keller Level 1
              James,

That .jpg may be corrupted -- particularly if you've been working/saving remotely on that file. Drag-copy to your local drive; work locally; save locally; drag-copy back to the server.

Neil
              • 4. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                I installed CS4 and I open any file and in a matter of 2 to 5 minutes its comes up with the errror message "Cannot complete your request because of a program error". I don't even have to do anything and it comes up. I have to force quit the program and I'm basically crippled at this point! Anyone know what fixes this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                  Neil_Keller Level 1
                  Gregpl,

Can you tell us something about your system so we can provide better assistance? See: How To Get Help Quickly.

In addition: What operating system on which computer? What maintenance have you done? How did you install CS4? Have you checked for damaged or duplicate fonts? How much RAM and free disk space do you have? Have you tried logging in as a new user?

Please get back to us.

Thanks.

Neil
                  • 6. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                    Level 1
                    Hello Neil,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I noticed that it always consistently happened whenever I started to do something with a font, any font. So I went into the font book and noticed that there are several sets of fonts and they are all turned on. So to do a test, I turned them all to disabled and launched PS. It has not crashed since I did that. So I think I need to delete the duplicated fonts or just select a font when I'm using it. Does this sound consistent with anything you have found?

The computer is a Mac G5 with 2 gigs of RAM

233.64 GB Disk Space Capacity & 64 availblbe Disk Space.

Operating System is 10.5.1 using a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 Mac.

Thank you for your assistance. I will be trying out the system tomorrow because I have to get some work done... this has set me back a few days not to mention the tremendous frustration.

Thank you. Let me know your comments. I hope this helps anyone else that is also having this similar problem.

Greg
                    • 7. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      Greg,

Ouch! It's not surprising that you have problems with your setup.

* First of all, you're using a very buggy, obsolete version of the OS. Update to 10.5.6 ASAP. It's a free upgrade.

* You desperately need more RAM. Trying to run Leopard and CS4 on a paltry 2 GB of RAM is ludicrous. Max that machine out with RAM.

* Ideally, your Photoshop scratch disk should be on a physically separate internal hard drive. My scratch disk is on a dedicated 160 GB internal drive, others have larger scratch drives. To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop's scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads on your boot volume is asking for trouble.

* With only 64 GB of available space on a 233 GB drive, you'll be reaching the safety limits for any drive pretty soon. Any time any drive gets to be 80% full, you're in trouble. You're almost there taking into account the swap files and the scratch disk.

* Finally, get a real font manager. Apple's Font Book is not robust enough. Duplicated fonts are as bad as damaged fonts. FAP (FontAgent Pro) is pretty good at ferreting out bad fonts, and they have a fully functional 30-day trial version.
                      • 8. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                        Neil_Keller Level 1
                        Greg,

Ramón makes some good points about your system. But certainly if specific font activation can be associated with system problems, either duplicate or corrupted fonts should be suspected. FontAgent Pro is far superior to Apple's Font Book. If budget is an issue, then look at the inexpensive FontExplorer, developed by Linotype. Trial downloads are available for either. (Be sure to only use one font management tool at a time, and disable any others to avoid further conflicts.)

Neil
                        • 9. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                          Re #7:
                          >To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop's scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads on your boot volume is asking for trouble.

Just to clarify, I'd expand that to read:

To have both the OS swap files and Photoshop's scratch disk competing for the use of the single set of read/write heads for only 64 GB of disk space on your boot volume is asking for trouble.
                          • 10. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                            Tahuilan 83

Hi, I have the same issue with "Could not complete your request because of a program error" and it happens when I try to "Save As" to PDF's and EPS's files. I have more than 100 Gb free and 2 Gb on RAM, I use Photoshop CS4 on MAC and I don't have ANY issues ralationed with corupted o duplicated fonts. I'll check in internet more possibles solutions for this because all of this solutions don't work in my case. If someone could help me. I'll be grateful.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                              F.C.Wolf

"Could not complete your request because of a program error" was the message I received when trying to save a particular .jpg file in CS4 using Mac OS X 10.6.4. (I had seen the same message before upgrading from 10.5.8.) Other, similar files - size, extension - did not have the problem. I reopened the problem file using Preview and saved, and that solved the problem in Photoshop. I recognize this fix may have limited applicability - hope it may help someone.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CS4 - Saving - Program error
                                jacksonhfulyss

I am having the same situation today, after working on psd and eps files in Photoshop yesterday, I'm getting the error message about Program Error. Nothing with a jpg, just psd files I created with letters (so it's art) I copied and pasted from old broadsides, so there's really no fonts involved. I did however have some other font issues with my computer this morning--how can that be related?  My Mac system is 10.4, but I have plenty of RAM, and had no problems yesterday. Now Photoshop gives that message before I even do one or two things to the file!  Any ideas o how to fix this? thx

Jackson