5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 5:31 PM by goshawk2

Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites

mpjx
      I'm running DW 2004MX on Mac OSX Tiger, I've been using this configuration for 3 years without problem, managing about 20 sites.

This morning I start Dreamweaver as usual but the Files panel shows no Sites even though around 20 were configured. All I can see is a text link to "Manage Sites" and the standard list:

Computer
      Macintosh Hard Drive
      Network
      FTP and RDS Servers
      Desktop Folder

All the details of all the sites, including the X.dws, XLiveChanged.txt and the X folder (containing dwSiteColumnsMe.xml) are present in the following folder:

myHomeDirectory/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Dreamweaver MX2004/Configuration/SiteCache

I've already tried the following without any success:

Reinstall DW MX2004 and 7.0.1 updater
      Repair Max OSX permissions
      Execute Mac OSX maintenance scripts

I'm sure there's probably some configuration or startup file which needs editing or replacing to solve the problem but I don't know which one, where it is or what to edit.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites
          mpjx Level 1
          Seems like the 2 lists in my above post display completely illegibly in Safari. If this is the case for anyone else, here they are again:

List 1:
          Computer
          Macintosh Hard Drive
          Network
          FTP and RDS Servers
          Desktop Folder

List 2:
          Repair Mac OSX Permissions
          Run Mac OSX Maintenance scripts
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites
            Level 7
            This is a known and very nasty bug in Dreamweaver. It is unfortunately
            triggered by unknown events as I'm not sure it has ever been reproducible
            reliably. Whether the issue is still with us in CS4 or not is also unknown.
            Suffice it to say that forewarned is forearmed. For this reason, I keep a
            complete set of current Site Definition exports in a backup location. If
            you have never done this, then I am afraid you are out of luck....

Sorry.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"mpjx" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gg68fo$fvr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm running DW 2004MX on Mac OSX Tiger, I've been using this configuration
            > for
            > 3 years without problem, managing about 20 sites.
            >
            > This morning I start Dreamweaver as usual but the Files panel shows no
            > Sites
            > even though around 20 were configured. All I can see is a text link to
            > "Manage
            > Sites" and the standard list:
            >
            >
            Computer
            > Macintosh Hard Drive
            > Network
            > FTP and RDS Servers
            > Desktop Folder

>
            > All the details of all the sites, including the X.dws, XLiveChanged.txt
            > and
            > the X folder (containing dwSiteColumnsMe.xml) are present in the following
            > folder:
            >
            > myHomeDirectory/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Dreamweaver
            > MX2004/Configuration/SiteCache
            >
            > I've already tried the following without any success:
            >
            >
            > Repair Max OSX permissions
            > Execute Mac OSX maintenance scripts

>
            > I'm sure there's probably some configuration or startup file which needs
            > editing or replacing to solve the problem but I don't know which one,
            > where it
            > is or what to edit.
            >
            > Can anyone help please?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites
              mpjx Level 1
              Hi Murray

Thanks for the info. I have all the SiteCache files backed up, along with bootable version of my entire Hard Drive. But I think Exported sites have a .ste file extention? I guess I'll have to recreate them...

I'll be upgrading to CS4 in a few weeks - hope this bug has been fixed.

You know, if Macromedia/Adobe had the will to sort this out they could do it whether it's reliably reproducable or not. Just working their way logically through the Site Manager operations and rethinking potential fail points should yield some results.
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites
                Level 7
                > Thanks for the info. I have all the SiteCache files backed up, along with
                > bootable version of my entire Hard Drive. But I think Exported sites have
                > a
                > .ste file extention?

Yes. If you have never exported them, then you don't have any. This
                information is NOT in the site cache. In fact the site cache files will do
                you no good at all.

> I'll be upgrading to CS4 in a few weeks - hope this bug has been fixed.

I wish I could tell you it has - the last time this happened to me I was
                using DW4, I believe. As I said, I now Export after adding each new site.

> You know, if Macromedia/Adobe had the will to sort this out they could do
                > it
                > whether it's reliably reproducable or not.

I believe they have the will. And who knows, it may have been fixed. But
                trying to troubleshoot something you can't reproduce is like trying to find
                a radio station that isn't broadcasting.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"mpjx" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gg6vc6$emh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi Murray
                >
                > Thanks for the info. I have all the SiteCache files backed up, along with
                > bootable version of my entire Hard Drive. But I think Exported sites have
                > a
                > .ste file extention? I guess I'll have to recreate them...
                >
                > I'll be upgrading to CS4 in a few weeks - hope this bug has been fixed.
                >
                > You know, if Macromedia/Adobe had the will to sort this out they could do
                > it
                > whether it's reliably reproducable or not. Just working their way
                > logically
                > through the Site Manager operations and rethinking potential fail points
                > should
                > yield some results.
                >

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver Files panel cannot find my sites
                  goshawk2 Level 1
                  Murray,

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro using DWCS3, but the site still loads fine on my PowerBook G4 using DW8. I have the site definition export file (.ste file) on the Powerbook.

I tried simply copying the .ste file to the MacBook Pro and importing through the Manage Sites panel, but that does not fix the problem.

Can you point me to instructions for safely moving the site from my Powerbook to my MacBook?

tks,

J Schmidt