0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2007 10:43 AM by (Phos±four_dots)

Peel Off White for Macs, AlphaWorks for Windows both Freeware

Level 1
      Originally posted by Welles Goodrich - 07:05am Feb 27, 2007 Pacific in the Photoshop for Windows Forum

For years I've been using Peel Off White on my Mac. It is an indispensable plugin. Here's the description...
      "The Peel Off White filter is useful for silhouetting objects that you will later use in composite images by "lifting" them off of white, or light colored backgrounds. If you apply the filter, then paint behind the pixels with white using the "Behind" mode, you can create an opaque image with perfectly feathered edges that don't have that "clipping path" or "evenly feathered" look."
      http://www.bergdesign.com/plugins/

Today I discovered a free plugin for Windows which provides a similar result. Perhaps it goes further for you can peel off white or black and while it isn't as simple it works extremely well! Here's the description...

"AlphaWorks Transparency EffectsA single Photoshop-compatible plug-in filter for quickly removing black or white values and making the region transparent. There are 6 different options for you to choose from, depending on the type of image you are working on (colour photo, mono photo, lineart)."
      http://www.cybia.co.uk/alphaworks.htm

(Addendum by Phos....): It's worth noting that BergDesign also offers two other free plugins ( "Gray To Black" & "Gray To White" ) whichwhen installed along with Peel Off Whitewill offer Macintosh users most of the same functionality as the AlphaWorks plugin. That said, I find that both of these software authors have come up a little short in that they don't offer more complete information about what these plugins do and how they work, along with some tutorials and enough "Before & After" examples to help you decide whether the plugins are right for the work you want to do. Cybia does host a User Forum, but curiously there are no sub-sections dedicated to the use of their own software.
      Thanks again to Welles Goodrich for making the original post