8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 1:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content

gchal
      Hopefully someone here can help me out with this...

The production company that I work for would like to be able to produce our own simple CD-Roms. We purchased Director 11, but all of the tutorials and help sites that I found dealt with game development or overcomplicated topics.

I'd like to learn how to create a CD-Rom that is similar to a basic authored DVD... a Title page with buttons that play video content. I would also be interested in incorporating Power Point Presentations as viewable content on the CD-Rom.

This is something that is relatively easy to do, right? I just haven't been able to figure it out. I have a lot of experience with Avid editing software, Photoshop, After Effects, and Encore. I also have moderate experience with Illustrator and html coding. I feel like this will be really easy once someone can explain it to me.
        • 1. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
          Level 7
          The basics of what you are asking is pretty easy to do in Director. To
          make a menu, just import your graphics including buttons. Create a
          frame label on the timeline for each video. On each button, add the
          behaviour named 'Jump to Marker Button' (it is in the Library under
          Behaviours, Controls). Pick the appropriate label for each button in
          the resulting popup. Then import your video and place one on each
          frame. Put the 'Go Loop' behaviour on each of these frames (in the
          frame channel). That behaviour is in the Library under Behaviours,
          Navigation.

Depending upon how your movies are setup, the rest will be different
          (i.e. are the Quicktime, avi, wmv, RealVideo, etc?). But the Library
          has behaviours for a lot of them, and building custom scripts is pretty
          easy as well if you can put forth the effort to learn Lingo. It is
          actually among the easiest to learn languages in my opinion.
          • 2. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
            gchal Level 1
            Thanks for your help. I'm still a bit lost unfortunately. When you say "import your graphics" is this graphic elements or a complete menu page (created in photoshop for example)? Also, how do I create a frame label? My movies will most likely be quicktime but could also be flv, wmv, avi depending on the project. Sorry with my misunderstanding- I'm very new with Director.
            • 3. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
              Level 7
              Your interface would typically be individual elements... like a
              background, the button graphics, etc.

To add a frame label look at you score window. The top of the score is
              a white box. This white box is next to the arrows. Click in the white
              box and it will make a label. Type the name of the label there and drag
              it to the appropriate location where you want that label to be.
              • 4. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
                gchal Level 1
                Thanks again for the help... I've spent several hours playing around with Director based on the instructions you've given me. I was able to utilize everything you said, but now I've run into a new set of problems.

I was able to create a menu page with two buttons, each linking to a different video. The menu and the buttons work great... However, when the video is done playing it just freezes on the last frame instead of going back to the menu. I fixed this problem by using "Loop for X Seconds" and entering the video duration, as opposed to simply using "Go Loop"

After that I'm trying to add a "back to menu" button on each of the video pages. I tried several Behaviors that should work (Go to Next, Go to Frame X, Jump to Marker Button, etc) and NOTHING works.... I don't get it. Is there something that I'm missing?
                • 5. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
                  Level 7
                  The simplest option is to add a behavior (script) to the video sprites
                  that monitors when they are finished and jumps to a marker when done.
                  This is a FAQ and you should find examples if you search this NG.
                  Implementation depends on the #type of video member
                  • 6. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
                    OpenMicOnEducation
                    Check out the tutorial "director_11_basictutorial" in folder "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Director 11\Configuration\Tutorials\Basics" that ships with Director. It is an excellent tutorial that addresses critical issues of menu control, frame-based movies, and time-based movies. Good luck!
                    • 7. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
                      killercatfish
                      Can anyone explain to me how to change the path of my videos in director 11? from my computer the videos start fine, from any other they ask me to find them. I understand why, but how can I change it, when I try to manually it does not work. I have read a couple of things on changing the linked file paths, and they dont tell me where to put the code.

Ill admit im a graphical interface man when it comes to director. Any help would me more appreciated then you can imagine!
                      • 8. Re: How do I create a Basic CD-Rom with video content
                        Level 7
                        You should just need to keep the relative paths the same... so if your
                        program on your machine is in (for example)

c:\directorStuff\projector.exe

and your movies are in

c:\directorstuff\movies\movie.mpg
                        c:\directorstuff\movies\movie2.mpg
                        etc...

Then you just need to make sure that there is a \movies\ subfolder under
                        wherever you put the projector on another machine.

To simplify, just put all the movies in the same folder as the main
                        program and then it should always work, as long as you include the
                        movies in the same folder.