29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 9:14 AM by Bart Cross

Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3

Photoshop CS3 displays a strange behavior of freezing for 30-45 seconds every time I try to open or create a new file, regardless of its size or format. Once the file is open Photoshop returns to its usual behavior, and I experience no slow downs. Has anybody experienced this problem,or knows what may be causing it?
        • 1. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
          NO WAY!

i have the EXACT same problem in CS2 and it used to work just fine on the same machine. I have tried re-installing and it still does it!

that is too weird!
          • 2. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            For CS2 are you patched to 9.0.2?

Bob
            • 3. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
              Level 1
              yes, 9.0.2 exactly, seems like i got the problem when i did the upgrade.

thank you for your response though.

i have yet to find any good info on this strange matter.

I have put the scratch disk on D and allocated more ram to CS2 and still have these problems. I hope someone can help me, i love photoshop and hate to have to wait for it to load
              • 4. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                Level 1
                Ok... I am really confused now.

After having done nothing more than changing my icon for photoshop, it now does not freeze up when creating a new document... go figure. I realize that the two events are completely unrelated, but I wanted to express the speraticness of this problem.

one thing I did differently, I opened an existing JPG instead of creating a new document and from that point on, it does not freeze up. what do you think?
                • 5. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                  I was having this same problem with Photoshop CS3 running on XP Pro, as soon as I deleted a network printer I never use (connects over a VPN) I can create/open files instantly.

Thanks to LenHewitt, post #6
                  http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc39208?14#post
                  • 6. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM HERE WITH CS3 !!!!
                    It used to work just fine and since I installed the network printer it took me more than 10 seconds to open a new document in photoshop.

I JUST CHANGED THE DEFAULT PRINTER AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY !

JF

jflaroue@hotmail.com
                    • 7. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                      Level 1
                      Make sure your default printer is not a networked printer

it solved my problem. THANKS !!!

JF
                      • 8. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                        Wow, that was my same problem - CS3 was slow (30 seconds) just to open a JPG - after making another printer the default it now only takes a few seconds to open. The printers that caused the problem were any of my printers on Linksys print servers on my LAN... I'm running XP Pro
                        • 9. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                          CS3 running on XP home would not open ANY files without crashing and wanting to send a error report. It would not even create a brand new file without exhibiting the same behavior. I do not have any network printers, but I did remember my default printer is a vinyl plotter that is not hooked up to the computer all the time. (and wasn't when I started having the problem) I changed my default printer to adobe PDF and the problem was solved. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. This was getting very frustrating.

I put up my experience just in case others are having trouble opening or creating ANY files. It is likely the same issue as those who have trouble opening only certain file types.
                          • 10. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                            I have the same problem. CS3 hangs, even opening a 10x10 jpeg file. I tried deleting recent files and set my PDF printer on default printer, but nothing solved the problem. It's kind annoying, cause I use to work with large files.
                            I have 2GB of RAM, so that can't be the problem. None of my network printers is set to default.
                            Anybody a solution for this?
                            • 11. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                              Level 1
                              Wow guy's ..great tip! had same slow file openings mentioned above..but fast writes to disk.. Changing default printer away from the network printer..and opening 10 files at a time is like (avg size 17 meg..)launch like a rocket here ! :-)..like 5 secs!

TMc

E6600 64bit 4gig ram xp6r Pro
                              • 12. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                Jpegs were taking forever to load for me as well. It was a nightmare, let me tell you when I am batching 800 images, it used to take an hour. Now since I changed the default printer from my network printer to the adobe pdf, It is racing.

This is nuts. Not intuitive at all.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS TO you guys that figured this out.

Daniel
                                • 13. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                  >Andrew L Robinson - 1:08pm May 1, 07 PST (#5 of 12) Edited: 01-May->2007 at 02:09pm
                                  >
                                  >I was having this same problem with Photoshop CS3 running on XP Pro, >as soon as I deleted a network printer I never use (connects over a >VPN) I can create/open files instantly.
                                  >
                                  >Thanks to LenHewitt, post #6
                                  >http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc39208?14#post

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Very much!
                                  This was my exact problem also.
                                  If you were around my area I'd buy you a beer! ;0)
                                  • 14. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                    voxL Level 1
                                    Sad that this hasn't been fixed, but thanks so much for the thread.

I just installed CS3 on a new quad core w/8GB of RAM and fast SATA drives and I was shocked at how long it took to open files and create new ones. All I have are network printers, so I set the default printer "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" (that's the only software printer I have). Performance is improved but still not as fast as I think it should be on a system like this.

Adobe, please fix this problem!
                                    • 15. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                      I was experiencing random annoying freezes in Photoshop CS3 recently (hadn't happened before). I discovered that they only happened when I was working on files residing on another computer on our home network. Obviously a lower-level networking problem.

When I copied the files to my own computer to work on, the problems went away.
                                      • 16. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                        Has anybody fixed this yet?
                                        • 17. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                          dave milbut Level 4
                                          nope. local printer is the workaround.
                                          • 18. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                            John Joslin Level 6
                                            > Has anybody fixed this yet?

I think it is safe to say that nobody will now!
                                            • 19. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                              How do I change the default printer if I can't open files on Photoshop? If there is no file on Photoshop open, the "print" option is unusable. HELP ME PLEASE!
                                              • 20. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                Level 1
                                                Thank you Freeagent. But I simply restarted my computer and things turned out fine.
                                                Cheers!
                                                • 21. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                  Wow. I had the same problem (lasted about a week before I found this page) ... and it fixed it right away. WHY on earth would Adobe fault like that with such a simple task... odd. Easy to fix, but not if you don't know the problem :/
                                                  • 22. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                    I started having the exact same problem a while ago (Photoshop CS3 Extended), along with the "Licensing service stopped working" error. I downloaded and installed the licensing service patch, but Photoshop still freezes when opening or creating a new file. After I've created or opened my first file and it's done freezing, everything is fine again and all subsequent creates or opens work fine.

Problem is, my default printer is already Adobe PDF. Is there anything else that could cause this problem? It definitely has something to do with networking; I just disabled my network connection and everything was fine.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I have all the latest Adobe patches and updates installed.

* Update: I fixed the issue. The culprit turned out to be a printer driver that was left on my system even though I had removed it using the proper uninstaller that came with it (it was a Dell 720 Photo Printer). None of the printers I currently have were using the driver, so I removed it and now everything is fine again. Looks like Photoshop scans your printer drivers rather than your actual printers. Not sure why then disabling my network connections also solved the issue, but hey, it works.

For those using Vista and wondering how to delete the driver:

Go to Control Panel > Printers > Run as administrator > Server Properties and navigate to the Drivers tab. You should be able to delete it there. Make sure you open the Server Properties as Administrator, otherwise it won't let you delete any drivers.
                                                    • 23. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                      Thanks all of u,

I worked on this for 2 days, did not figure out the problem.
                                                      then I read the forum, turn down network printer and the problem is solved.
                                                      I am using pdf complete as default printer.
                                                      Adobe should highlight such issues in Performance OR support documents.

thanks once again.
                                                      • 24. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Thanks all of u,

I worked on this for 2 days, did not figure out the problem.
                                                        then I read the forum, turn down network printer and the problem is solved.
                                                        I am using pdf complete as default printer.
                                                        Adobe should highlight such issues in Performance OR support documents.

thanks once again.
                                                        • 25. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                          John Joslin Level 6
                                                          > Adobe should highlight such issues in Performance OR support documents.

That would be nice.

(Save me a lot of typing.)
                                                          • 26. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                            mike_web

I have XP at work and this issue has come up in CS2 and CS4 (fresh install of XP and CS4).  Where I work all printers are connected via the network and for whatever reason they are "incompatible" with these versions of Photoshop.  I've tried setting the Adobe PDF printer driver as default printer to no avail.  The quickest solution before reading this forum (and KB article) has been to reboot the computer.  A fresh reboot works everytime to open or create files without problems.

Once I found out the default printer could fix the issue I stumbled upon this KB article:

Photoshop or Photoshop Elements crashes or opens the first file slowly after launch

rant incoming:

I'd like to address Adobe directly and state that this issue is unacceptable.  To have an issue in your software where two of the most basic features function poorly or not at all lacks grace and intelligence which I've come to expect from Photoshop as a user for several years.  Every document editing software in existance has an open or create new function yet I have never run into an issue where they failed to do either of these basic operations without great success and speed.  The knowledge base article solution to this issue has three options which relate to changing aspects of the system printer configurations.  Why on this green Earth does Adobe have a pre-requisite of a non-networked printer or "compatible" printer driver to open or create a file.  I'd like to see Photoshop open or create a file without any printer related problems despite any printer that is installed on a user's workstation.

• 27. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                              Level 7

Adobe does not require a non networked or "compatible" printer -- we don't even require a printer at all.  But if you have a printer installed, it works best if the printer actually works correctly.  Photoshop does not have any notion of "compatible" printers - Photoshop will work with any functioning printer.

Your printer driver (or OS) is causing the delays when Photoshop asks for simple information about that printer - information that should never involve contacting the networked printer.   It's sort of like "Hey, what's the name of the street we're on? I don't know, let me jog to the Library of Congress, research that and get back to you".   The drivers are doing something they should not, taking too long to do it, and nobody seems to be able to explain why.

Some printer drivers are also causing crashes - again, usually when asked for simple information.  Again, this should not be happening.

Those delays and driver crashes are not caused by Photoshop, and are not under the control of Photoshop.  The best we can do is control when they happen (at launch, or when opening a document).

So, you're blaming the wrong party here.

We'd also like to see Photoshop open without driver problems.  But we don't control the drivers.  (and external drivers seem to be the bane of our existence lately)

• 28. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                                hlxenator
                                                                Adobe does not require a non networked or "compatible" printer -- we don't even require a printer at all.  But if you have a printer installed, it works best if the printer actually works correctly.  Photoshop does not have any notion of "compatible" printers - Photoshop will work with any functioning printer.

Dear Chris,

I believe you truly that Photoshop will work with any printer at all -- up to version 8.x/CS1. The Problem appeared with the release of CS3. Maybe Adobe has discovered the world of printing in a total new manner?

Your printer driver (or OS) is causing the delays when Photoshop asks for simple information about that printer - information that should never involve contacting the networked printer.   It's sort of like "Hey, what's the name of the street we're on? I don't know, let me jog to the Library of Congress, research that and get back to you".   The drivers are doing something they should not, taking too long to do it, and nobody seems to be able to explain why.

First of all there are plenty of users worldwide who won't miss the lack of a printing function in Photoshop in general. Adobe should devote oneself to develop a solid image manipulation program. And if I would be asked to the name of the street we are on, my answer would have a serious delay too, cause I'm to polite to answer why the hell you don't have a look for yourself. If Photoshop is unable to handle a "misconfigured" network attached  printer, the developers should ask the colleagues of the InDesign team. It's not only possible to open an InDesign file immediately, some of us even have printed successfully to that "sticky" printers.

Some printer drivers are also causing crashes - again, usually when asked for simple information.  Again, this should not be happening.

Those delays and driver crashes are not caused by Photoshop, and are not under the control of Photoshop.  The best we can do is control when they happen (at launch, or when opening a document).

So, you're blaming the wrong party here.

Bump. Okay, the printer, the printer driver or someone else is the evil. But even in case this is true, it is your company's job to offer a workaround that is worthy of the name. Things are not perfect and you have to fix it.

• 29. Re: Freezes on open/new file in Photoshop CS3
                                                                  Bart Cross Level 4

I have pointed out several times that my networked Xerox Phaser 8550 is the default printer and it has not caused any problems for me. That was with CS2 over WIN2K 32bit and now CS4 over VistaUltimate 64bit.

It appears that the problem would either lie with the printer drivers or with the router. Leave it to Xerox & USR to get it right.