Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory Could Not Be Allocated For the Activation of PhotoShop

Participant ,
Sep 22, 2008 Sep 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS2 Intel P4 3.0GhzHT, 3-4GB Ram WinXP

Photoshop won't open for me. It used to. Any idea how I might fix this?

When I try to open Photoshop, I get "Memory could not be allocated for the activation process. Please close all applications and try again."

I've done this with no applications after a fresh reboot and get the same message.

It only started recently. Photoshop used to open for me and was usable.

I got 3 or 4 GB of ram. I can't remember, but WinXP only sees about 3GB anyway. Either way should be more than enough, no?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2008 Oct 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anybody have any idea about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would reset your prefs first and then make sure that your scratch is on a separate drive.

What is your drive configuration? Have you checked to make sure that your temp files have been deleted etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. How do I reset preferences if I can't get the program to open?

2. I don't know what a scratch is.

3. I have 3 hard drives, C, D and E.

- OS, programs and most data is on C.

- Music mp3s and Lightroom v 1.4 catalog and catalog backups are on D.

- E is for backing up C and D.

4. I've deleted all temp files and history etc., fixed the registry, and run a chkdsk (scandisk) and defragmented all drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How do I reset preferences if I can't get the program to open?

See this entry in the FAQ:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any solution to this problem that works...i'm strugging to find an answer that articulates what I need to do in laymens terms (or indeed one that is effeciive)....help pls!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee

You have popped in to a thread which died about 7 months ago.

I suggest you tell us a bit about your system and your symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey john, thanks for resuscitating the topic. I on XP and it’s PS8

I have defragged, cleaned disc, etc.

In terms of symptoms, PS opens up and once open the prompt comes up. I hit okay and it shuts down.

i have tried CTRL + ALT + SHIFT whilst PS boots up; i get the prompt "ÿou currently have Adobe Photoshops primary Scratch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is reommmended that you set PS Primary Scratch Volume to be on a differrent volume, preferably on a different physical dirve."

I guess this means reinstall, partition and  set up on a partitioned drive? I don't particularly want to take this course of action if there is an alternative. It doesn't make sense given I've got plenty of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee71 wrote:

hey john, thanks for resuscitating the topic. I on XP and it’s PS8

I have defragged, cleaned disc, etc.

In terms of symptoms, PS opens up and once open the prompt comes up. I hit okay and it shuts down.

i have tried CTRL + ALT + SHIFT whilst PS boots up; i get the prompt "ÿou currently have Adobe Photoshops primary Scratch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is reommmended that you set PS Primary Scratch Volume to be on a differrent volume, preferably on a different physical dirve."

I guess this means reinstall, partition and  set up on a partitioned drive? I don't particularly want to take this course of action if there is an alternative. It doesn't make sense given I've got plenty of space.

No no need for that!

The message about the scratch drive is normal: the CTRL + ALT + SHIFT resets the preferences to the default for a single HDD. If you have more than one, go into Edit > Preferences > Performance and set the primary scratch drive to the one without the paging file.

Once you have OK'd that message it should go away if you do only have one HDD.

Partitioning will not do anything. The object of the separate drives (if you have them) is to avoid conflict between Scratch and Page file.

Do you still have your original problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Edit > Preferences - in PS? If so, I can't open PS. If within the drive

itself, I don't know where the option to do that is.

I did try moving the paging drive but that did not achieve the desired

result

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee71 wrote:

Hi John,

Edit > Preferences - in PS? If so, I can't open PS. If within the drive

itself, I don't know where the option to do that is.

I did try moving the paging drive but that did not achieve the desired

result

I thought you said PS opened with the warning message about scratch drives which I told to to ignore.

If it does open just go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and change drives.

You have told us precious little about your system like:

Operating System/version
Photoshop version number
Amount of RAM installed
Hard drive(s) & capacity free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

To clarify what i wrote previously was "i have tried CTRL + ALT + SHIFT whilst PS boots up; i get the prompt "ÿou currently have Adobe Photoshops primary Scratch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume...".

My primary issue (the subject of this blog post) still remains. And the issue prevents access to the program and therefore the ability to: Edit >> Preferences etc.

My system:

xp profesional version service pack 2 and PS 8.0

1gb Ram

c drive: 64.2 GB (18.1 gb free)

d drive (recovery): (9.25 gb 1.16 free)

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't have much free space for a scratch disk that Photoshop can ultilize. For example I use one 300 GB hard drive just for scratch !

Don't know what your problem is or why Photoshop won't open; But I would have more space available then what you have if I wanted to use Photoshop for serious work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines