5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 8:47 PM by heathrowe

Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...

ryan0000

OK, so what I want to do is have a Menu Bar up at the top for a webpage I'm making. When they put their mouse over it, swap image with another frame in which the text becomes highlighted and a submenu drops down (not the one included in fireworks, but one created by me in photoshop). That part works fine... the problem I'm having is this...

I want them to be able to mouse over the options of the drop down menu in the seperate frame obviously and be able to pick from those options as well (and also when they mouse over the specific option from the drop down menu, have that highlighted as well. Problem with this is that if I have a hotspot on those sub menu selections then even when only on the mainpage BEFORE hovering over "what crown does" main menu button (see image), if you put your mouse over the blank area where "where we work" sub menu button would be, it will spawn up that drop down menu, because there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the hotspot to only work when already having activated the rollover from first mouseover'ing "What Crown Does".

That was all a drawn out explanation for what is really just wanting this to have a menu that swaps images when mouseover, spawns a drop down menu with an image swap as well, and then lets me have mouseovers for those items as well WITHOUT having those submenu options' hotspots rollover before first having moused over the main menu button.

PLEASE HELP!! deadline is coming fast. Thank you in advance!

A Cropped Image Showing the Problem
        • 1. Re: Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...
          ryan0000 Level 1
          http://www.northparkcenter.com/

North Park Mall Example - Exactly what I want

This is what I want exactly. When you go over the menu options, it spawns up a seperate menu, etc all as it should. When you come from right side and mouse over to where those sub options WOULD be (over the flash area) they do no spawn up... only are they options when first you mouse over the main menu options.
          • 2. Re: Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...
            pixlor Level 4
            quote:

Originally posted by: ryan0000
            http://www.northparkcenter.com/

North Park Mall Example - Exactly what I want

This is what I want exactly. When you go over the menu options, it spawns up a seperate menu, etc all as it should. When you come from right side and mouse over to where those sub options WOULD be (over the flash area) they do no spawn up... only are they options when first you mouse over the main menu options.

This isn't a Fireworks question, you know....

If the effect on that site is exactly what you want, then you should buy and use the same Dreamweaver plugin that was used for that site. I saved the page (complete), opened the file in Dreamweaver and noticed that there are external JavaScript references. The JavaScript that does the effect has Pluginlab Lilmited as a copyright holder. I Googled for that company. Here's their Web site: Pluginlab Limited. For $80, I don't think you can re-invent the effect in a cost-effective fashion.

cheers!

• 3. Re: Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...
              ryan0000 Level 1
              maybe I wasn't clear. I don't mean that I want that individual effect, I mean this is exactly the example of what I had a hard time articulating. I meant to only show an example of how a rollover comes out in that space (and able to be clicked) when the main menu item was rolled over. If you go to the space when the main menu item is not rolled over, the sub menu does not pop out.

That is what I'm trying to do and surely you can do that with fireworks.........
              • 4. Help with Rollovers and Hotspots for Drop Down Webpage Menu...
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: ryan0000
                maybe I wasn't clear. I don't mean that I want that individual effect, I mean this is exactly the example of what I had a hard time articulating. I meant to only show an example of how a rollover comes out in that space (and able to be clicked) when the main menu item was rolled over. If you go to the space when the main menu item is not rolled over, the sub menu does not pop out.

That is what I'm trying to do and surely you can do that with fireworks.........

Well, no, you aren't being clear. It's exactly what you want, except it isn't what you want.

In any case.... If the effect requires JavaScript that is produced by a plugin to Dreamweaver, which is a Web development environment, why do you think you can get this effect from Fireworks, which is a graphics program? Fireworks can produce less code than Dreamweaver can, and it isn't as robust.

Getting the rollover effect that you want is done in JavaScript, called from HTML. If you want that kind of effect, you're either going to have to write that from scratch (difficult) or buy something that does it (easy). It isn't a simple image replacement action. It's complex logic that requires code.

I've pointed you to the exact place where you can buy the exact thing you want, saving you hours and hours of frustration. It's your choice, of course. You can check out those menus, buy the one you like best and move forward, or keep trying to get Fireworks to do it. Note that you can edit the styles to change the menu's colors and other attributes.

If you don't like the menus at Pluginlabs, check out the ones at Project Seven

cheers!