6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 1:36 PM by Philinflash

Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel

Pixelpaddler Level 1
      The Adjustments panel is a great addition! However, I'm finding its fixed height to be hogging scarce screen space. I would like to be able to resize the panel as I can do with other panels such as Layers/Paths/Channels. I would often hide the window showing presets. In fact, perhaps simply a control, "Hide/Show Presets" would work. I don't want to close the entire panel because I want the collection of adjustment icons to be visible. I'm using them often. I do not use the presets often (yet).

On my 15" laptop, by the time I have the Adjustments and Layers panels open, there is no room left for essentials such as Histogram/Info/Navigator.
        • 1. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
          Level 1
          Yes, looks like they now have someone from Macromedia now working on interface and new panels. To them flexibility and customizability are an anathema, because they spent their whole working lives working on 'nailed down' PC software. The new panels are not as good as the old, are fiddly and clunky, difficult to resize horizontally. They also don't respond to clicking or double clicking as well as they used to.
          • 2. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
            Level 1
            Oh yes, and they are far too easy to drag out of place messing up your panel layout
            • 3. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
              Level 1
              "randomly arranged icons" - yes, I personally wish seemingly randomly arranged and EMPTY SPACES would disappear from panel design. There used to be some good intelligent people, about Photoshop 5 working on these things. The vast majority of people still work with a single monitor. And when you can avoid introducing a NEW panel altogether you should, ie - masks
              • 4. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
                Dennis 1111 Level 2
                For those of you bothered by the new Adjustments Panel, I just want to let you know what I am doing and see if you might want to try it.

I pulled the Adjustments Panel out onto my image and I leave it there. I condense it to the mini-icon when I don't want to see it but the interesting thing is that most of the time the mini-icon doesn't even show.

If I select a new or existing adjustments layer from the layers panel, the Adjustments Panel just pops back up on top of the image. For me this is a good compromise between the way it used to work and the way it works now. I have the benefits (being able to change blend mode with the adjustments dialog still up, for example) but without the penalties (space in my panels area). I think it is also a good option for dual-screen users and users who like to have things like Curves right on top of the image where they don't have to be shifting their eyes.

Anyway, thought I would share. :)
                • 5. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
                  Dennis 1111 Level 2
                  > Freeagent - 2:52pm Feb 16, 09 PST (#6 of 6)

> Hmmm...that's not the way it behaves here. Collapsed to an icon it does not expand when I click on an adjustment layer in the Layers panel - which would have been a good thing, because you could then keep it right next to the image. Especially with Autocollapse checked.

You're right. I checked again to refresh my memory. You need to DOUBLE-click the layer and then it pops up. Still pretty slick though in my opinion.
                  • 6. Re: Add ability to change height of Adjustments Panel
                    Philinflash
                    I support Doug's petition. Even on a 24" screen, I sometimes have "real estate" issues.