21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 3:26 PM by harry teasley

Edge snapping

harry teasley Level 1
      I really miss being able to move a layer around and have it snap to the edges of the canvas. Why does this no longer happen? Can we get it back?
        • 1. Re: Edge snapping
          Level 1
          Try check on View > Snap and View > Snap To > Layers
          • 2. Re: Edge snapping
            harry teasley Level 1
            Mine is View > Snap To >Document Bounds, and it's checked. Transform tool snaps, but moving a layer does not.
            • 3. Re: Edge snapping
              Level 1
              Which edition of Photoshop do you use?
              On my CS3 and CS4, snap works well
              If you think it is a bug, you can report an external bug to us
              • 4. Re: Edge snapping
                harry teasley Level 1
                CS4, 11.0.

When I hold down Ctrl to move a layer around, it doesn't snap to the borders of the canvas at all. The transform box will snap, but simple moving does not. Doesn't snap to guides, either. Everything is checked in the Snap To menu.

OK, so this is the wrong forum for this: I thought I was asking for a feature to be returned (I was assuming that the snapping went because of the new OGL/scaling tech that is in CS4). Now that I know it's not a universally observed bug, I'm happy to file it elsewhere.

What is the official bug submission link these days?
                • 5. Re: Edge snapping
                  Level 1
                  Use (Move tool)V ,snapping works well
                  But when using ctrl to move a layer, snapping seems not work on my vista 64, I will investigate this on other edition and other platform, thanks for your topic:)

The official bug submission link is :
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
                  • 6. Re: Edge snapping
                    harry teasley Level 1
                    Ah, thus the confusion. Yeah, in the dozen or so years I've used PS, I've never once used the move tool. Ctrl all the way. Same goes for the eyedropper.
                    • 7. Re: Edge snapping
                      sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

Ah, thus the confusion. Yeah, in the dozen or so years I've used PS, I've never once used the move tool. Ctrl all the way. Same goes for the eyedropper.
                      In a previous discussion, harry teasley wrote:

I hate it when this forum is drowned in requests that turn into "Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!" threads. Learn the tool.

Learn the tool, hypocrite.

• 8. Re: Edge snapping
                        harry teasley Level 1

sfjedi wrote:

Learn the tool, hypocrite.

I observed a bug in the ctrl-move behavior in this version, and you think this is a time to throw something back at me? It's not like I don't know about the move tool: prior to this bug, there has never been a reason I have found to use it over the ctrl key.

Try again.

• 9. Re: Edge snapping
                          sfjedi Level 1

In a previous discussion, harry teasley wrote:

I know how to ask if a feature is present before I ask that the feature be added.

Then why didn't you ask first this time?

• 10. Re: Edge snapping
                            harry teasley Level 1

You can't be serious.

The feature existed in prior versions, and its disappearance (for ctrl-movement) in CS4 is a bug.

• 11. Re: Edge snapping
                              Zeno Bokor Level 6

when you hold down the Ctrl key you temporarily disable the snapping feature so after you started your Ctrl+drag, let go of the Ctrl key and you'll get your snapping back

• 12. Re: Edge snapping
                                harry teasley Level 1

That's new behavior. Has that been documented anywhere?

It's not in the help file, that I have found, and I don't recall it in any of the changelists.

Trying to add a comment to this effect on that online support page, but it's not responding....

...and the comment worked fine using (ptui) IE, but not Firefox. Lame.

• 13. Re: Edge snapping
                                  Peter Payne

I am having the most frustrating time, but it's the opposite for me. Basically, I don't want Snap to be on at all since it's distracting when I'm positioning layer content in 300+ web ads I'm making. I can turn it off with a keypress, but incredibly, the default is ALWAYS "on" when I reload those graphics. It's kind of like Chinese water torture, every file I open turns on Snap and there appears to be no way to make this not do this? Can anyone suggest anything other than getting used to holding control every time I do a single thing with Photoshop that involves moving a layer?

I am using Photoshop CS3 updated, on an updated Mac.

• 14. Re: Edge snapping
                                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Ok lets clear this up - first of all this behaviour has not intentionally changed in CS4 from previous versions. (these incredibly well designed functions have incidentally been the same for more than ten years in Photoshop, and have, thankfully, not been wrecked in CS4)…

Correct behaviour you should be getting …

• You already know this I can see, but I'm repeating it to make the whole description  The control key on PC (command on mac) will activate the Move tool temporarily at most times. This will now, incidentally, also happen by pressing and holding the V key (spring loaded key).

• Right click on PC, Control key on mac, acts as a TOGGLE: If snapping is disabled (view/snap) it will cause items to snap to whatever is specified in View/Snap to. If snapping is enabled on the other hand, it will disable all snapping. This is the best, and most versatile way for it to work of course. I'm pretty sure PC's are set up to use right click to replace all mac control key shortcuts (if this is wrong it may be some OS related issue)

NOW Harry - because functionality is unified across platforms - if you can't get snap to work at all, (its a little difficult to tell because you haven't necessarily said this) your issue may be related to Windows Vista, and some OS setting ("Control Panel"?), or bug. I have no experience whatsoever of this Operating System, but a light hearted suggestion, which I hope you won't take wrong, would be to check out this website… http://www.apple.com/mac/

• 15. Re: Edge snapping
                                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Peter, hopefully not too obvious a point - do you realise that snapping is toggled with View/snap (command Shift ; )?

• 16. Re: Edge snapping
                                        harry teasley Level 1

Mark, the behavior has changed, and Zeno pointed out how it works now. In CS3 and prior, you did not have to release the Ctrl key while moving to get snap to work.

And I own six operating Macs (several more in mothballs), an Ubuntu netbook, and I have an XP PC at work, so I am both immune to, and fairly intolerant of, "here's a nickel, kid" OS debates. All consumer OSes suck.

• 17. Re: Edge snapping
                                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                                          Mark, the behavior has changed, and Zeno pointed out how it works now.

I dont see this at all, it seems to work in exactly the same way as it always has. WHAT do you think has changed exactly?

All consumer OSes suck.

No they don't, simple as that

• 18. Re: Edge snapping
                                            Peter Payne Level 1

The issue is that Snap is always "on" for every file you open, and there is no way to say, Turn it off and keep it off, since I dislike it as it's akin to using an old gunked up mouse that doesn't go where I want it. To have this default to on every time for every file borders on sadistic by Adobe.. I work with like 20-30 open PSD files at a time so manually hitting the keyboard shortcut is not fun.

• 19. Re: Edge snapping
                                              harry teasley Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Mark, the behavior has changed, and Zeno pointed out how it works now.

I dont see this at all, it seems to work in exactly the same way as it always has. WHAT do you think has changed exactly?

I did make an error: the behavior I like stopped in CS2. CS2 and prior, holding down the ctrl key for the ctrl-key-move tool did not disable edge snapping. We moved from CS2 to CS4 at work, because CS3 had a network-related TGA saving bug, so I wasn't able to use it as much as I would have liked.

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

All consumer OSes suck.

No they don't, simple as that

Rejoice in your satisfaction with your OS of choice. I find them all terrible in many ways. OSX is the least terrible, but it is still very lacking.

• 20. Re: Edge snapping
                                                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Dont even think your right about there - that CS2 was different I mean. As far as I can remember, the snapping behaviour I outlined in detail in Post 14 (control key or right click override) has been a feature of Photoshop since at least Photoshop version 6.

still very lacking.

Ok side track completely - but lacking HOW?

• 21. Re: Edge snapping
                                                  harry teasley Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

Dont even think your right about there - that CS2 was different I mean. As far as I can remember, the snapping behaviour I outlined in detail in Post 14 (control key or right click override) has been a feature of Photoshop since at least Photoshop version 6.

You're incorrect about that: I went ahead and reinstalled and tested, so I could be certain. The behavior was as I described, up through CS2.

This is not the forum to discuss the warts of OSen.