13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 2:30 PM by Reynolds (Mark)

Skin choice for CS4

harry teasley Level 1
      I don't mind the new PS skin so much, but I do sort of mind the constant revealing of the actual Windows skin underneath, and having PS switch back (with mixed success) to the PS skin. Happens a lot when I'm changing screen modes, and the skin doesn't refresh properly: the top titlebar has false buttons for min/max/close, displaying one set but actually having the other be active.

Could I get a choice to just disable the PS skin, and use the old Windows skin that is obviously still running and functional? My guess is that I'd see better performance (maybe), and a bunch of annoying display glitches would likely disappear.

I know it's disheartening when so much effort has obviously been put in for a new, OS-independent skin for the app. But I'd like the choice anyway. And I only ask seeing as it's apparent that the underlying Windows skin is still there and working.
        • 1. Re: Skin choice for CS4
          harry teasley Level 1

Following onesself up is bad form, but I wanted to add: the new skin has actually really become an irritation, because it doesn't indicate if it's the foregrounded app. On a two-monitor setup, I have CS4 taking up my entire secondary monitor, and it does not visibly change at all when it is foregrounded or backgrounded. I've been finding myself hitting action hotkeys and causing other apps to pop little dialogues up or whatever, because I *thought* I had alt-tabbed back to PS.

I really think this needs to be changed.

• 2. Re: Skin choice for CS4
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I think people probably hate your use of the word "skin".

• 3. Re: Skin choice for CS4
              harry teasley Level 1

It's better than saying "GDI".

I think most folks don't care too much about the issue. I'm pointing it out because it's getting more irritating, and the lack of foreground/background distinction strikes me as more "bug" than "feature".

• 4. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

You can reassign the photoshop colour. Look in your preferences under interface. They have now made this ability, available since at least Photoshop 6, 'discoverable by humans' as John Nack once said.

Nope GDI is better than Skin. Skin sounds like it comes from the PC computer gaming industry, Unreal Tournament perhaps.

• 5. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                  harry teasley Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

You can reassign the photoshop colour. Look in your preferences under interface. They have now made this ability, available since at least Photoshop 6, 'discoverable by humans' as John Nack once said.

Nope GDI is better than Skin. Skin sounds like it comes from the PC computer gaming industry, Unreal Tournament perhaps.

What are you talking about, "reassign the photoshop color"? I don't care what the UI color is (well, I do, but not for the purposes of this issue), I just want something to change when the app is backgrounded. Currently, there is no setting that can be changed that will cause the app to appear differently when backgrounded.

And with "skin": whatever. Many apps get skinned, and "skinning" is used as jargon all the time. Especially with Adobe Flash, Flex, and Air, jargon that Adobe itself uses. So I cannot regret having bruised the delicate petals of your UI grammar sensibilities.

• 6. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                    John Joslin Level 6

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

You can reassign the photoshop colour. Look in your preferences under interface.

Oh no you can't!

That doesn't affect the bits Harry's talking about..

• 7. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                      harry teasley Level 1

Another irritation with the new skin (skin irritation, ha, I slay me):

If I have several maximized apps on screen, and I want to minimize them, I can't just hover my mouse and click the minimize button. With photoshop, I will end up hitting the window-mode button, and take it from maximized view to windowed view. Its three titlebar buttons are not in the same place as Windows' standard three titlebar buttons.

I hate little aggravations in a UI, and the new CS4 UI has introduced more than it has removed. The auto-tabbing of docs opened via Explorer is the worst, of course, but things like this are on the list for me.

• 8. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                        lallsopp Level 1

Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Adobe CS4 and CS5 are UGLY and I mean UGLY. With CS3 at least it used the Windows Areo toobars so they were transparent. The icons had color and there was clear definition between the shading of the tool palettes.  The palette edges were curved which was far more appealling than block grey.

CS4 looks too much like Word 2010 which makes it very difficult to manage visually and the Grey is just terrible. It reminds me of Windows NT 4.

Also the top of the Toolbar, not being a "Windows" toolbar does NOT work with the features of Windows 7. Eg. I cannot throw it to the left and have it auto fill the left side like I can with CS3. It isn't transparent so it is like running a Windows 95/NT app in Windows 7 Aero.

Overall I think both Microsoft and Adobe need to hire some proper visual designers who know how to design an attractive looking app.

• 9. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                          retouchMOJO Level 1

I have the solution you are looking for. http://tinyurl.com/25v6m

• 10. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                            Overall I think both Microsoft and Adobe need to hire some proper visual designers who know how to design an attractive looking app.

… Certainly Microsoft do. Every time they try and do this though, their operating system just looks too much like Apple's. So they have to mess it up a little visually, just to be different. Thats my only explanation as to how they can get it so wrong time after time. The advantage with being first out of the starting gates I guess, is that you call the shots.

In Photoshop, the reason grey is used - is because its neutral. And,Photoshop tends to be used by people who don't want color distractions, and hopefully understand how important that is. They are apparently going to give the option of a Lightroom black, at some point in the future.

• 11. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                              lallsopp Level 1

… Certainly Microsoft do. Every time they try and do this though, their operating system just looks too much like Apple's. So they have to mess it up a little visually, just to be different. Thats my only explanation as to how they can get it so wrong time after time. The advantage with being first out of the starting gates I guess, is that you call the shots.

In Photoshop, the reason grey is used - is because its neutral. And,Photoshop tends to be used by people who don't want color distractions, and hopefully understand how important that is. They are apparently going to give the option of a Lightroom black, at some point in the future.

I have had Fireworks and Photoshop since the earliest versions. Grey's are fine but not when it is just one big block of the same dark grey with no shading or tool rounding definement. It is makes it difficult to easily distinguish quickly between the tools.  With CS3 it wasn't like everything was brightly coloured. It was just that there was a hint of color to define the tools and separate them out from one another. There were 10 shades of grey and toolbar definement.  Below the 1st is CS4 and the 2nd CS3. The tools are the same but the hint of color makes it far easier to quickly identify the tools. As for the Mac/PC debate well I won't go there. I have been a Mac Tech for 20 years and a PC tech as long. There are plus' and minus' to each and before OSX, Mac's interface was not at all attractive but far more functional.

CS4CS4.JPGCS3CS3.JPG

• 12. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                                retouchMOJO Level 1

Yeah lallsopp, I was just messing with you. Deff don't want to get into one of those platform wars.

Good point on the subtle color helping with the tools. Not sure the Mac version has ever had that.

It is pretty.

• 13. Re: Skin choice for CS4
                                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

What is wrong with you people! Platform wars are where the fun starts. For some people, their idea of wasting time is watching England and the US in the World Cup, washing their hands 30 times a day or video games. For me… Platform Wars.