1 2 3 Previous Next 112 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2002 4:50 PM by dave milbut

FAQ suggestions archive

Dorothy Krause Level 1
      The FAQ forum will constantly evolve as issues are added and updated. Since the topics are read only other than to forum workers, we wanted to give users a special topic where they can add their suggestions for additions and corrections.

Please keep in mind that all forum workers are volunteers, they do this because they enjoy helping other users.
        • 1. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
          > Please keep in mind that all forum workers are volunteers, they do this
          because they enjoy helping other users.

On behalf of those that have (and will again) used their help, THANK YOU!!
          • 2. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
            Susan,

On behalf of those that have (and will again) used their help, THANK YOU!!

This includes me.

Norbert
            • 3. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
              I have to say, "Thank you", too.....Thank you!
              Instead of working, like I should be doing, I've been coming in here all week reading the posts, taking notes, studying it with all my Photoshop books, testing, trying, studying from the links posted, and trying to give back what I gained by helping others.
              It's pulled me out of my stagnant "I know a lot about Photoshop" routine into a new and fresh "what else can I learn?" excitement.
              I've learned more about the curves and adjustments and adjustment layers.
              By using this forum as a jump-start, and opening the books to study in detail, and experimenting, I'm learning more and more from this place...but, don't get a big head over it. 8^)
              • 4. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                Level 1
                Wasn't there a topic about tracking down corrupt font files in here, or am I dreaming?

How about adding my all-time favorite, getting rid of the dreaded Red Eye?
                • 5. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                  Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                  Zog,

I think it was a case of not seeing the wood for the trees :-) or too much of the amber nectar

I modified the header and it should be pretty obvious which FAQ relates to Font corruption
                  • 6. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                    Ian,

It may obvious to you, but why not give the FAQ location instead of just telling us it exists...
                    I've spent an hour looking thru the Photoshop support areas including the "knowledge based" area looking for "CORRUPT FONT" info. Of course it pulls up everything "CORRUPT" then EVERYTHING FONT related....
                    How about a little common sense approach to Customer Service....
                    There SHOULD NOT be an Easter Egg hunt type of Support mentality. AKA Find it, IF you can...
                    I need help in Finding out if I have a corrupt Font, NOT deleting Them All. Some of the fonts in my system I PURCHASED. If I'm stuck with just using the Basic Windows and Adobe Fonts, it defeats the purpose of using PS6 in Graphic/Web design.

James
                    • 7. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                      Level 1
                      Thanks, Ian. Now how about collecting all of these duplicate messages and putting them someplace together? VBG
                      • 8. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                        Level 1
                        Hi, I think it's about time to post the workarounds of PS 6 problems in the FAQ like markATS did with the CMAP issue. Then refer to this topic.

Also a quick guide how to remove all the fonts and reinstall them one at a time, because lots of folk don't know how to do this. Therefore they can not trouble shoot,

Norbert
                        • 9. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                          James,

If you read the message headers instead of just clicking them then you would have noticed that the message header just down from this thread tells you EXACTLY where the message is. See Error Messages ICC Profiles and Fonts. Just in case you can't read, just click below:

DorothyK "Error Messages - ICC Profiles and Fonts" 3/27/00 1:34pm

Zog,

I'll do my best, but I think a few other "hanger on's" might give me some help :-)

Norbert,

I don't know all the workarounds, and even when I do half times I'm ignored :-)

Fonts - the message that I referred to points to the Adobe instructions for removing fonts. The whole idea of the FAQ's is so that we can avoid repeating exactly the same info time and time again. Please read :-

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1e27a.htm

Ian Lyons
                          http://welcome.to/computerdarkroom
                          • 10. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                            Level 1
                            Ian,

The document you "point" to is referring to a PS5.x problem, My PS5.5 works great...
                            In PS6 it SCANS the font files 3 times before starting up (total time 2 1/2 Minutes)
                            Simple questions require Simple answers...
                            1) Can U turn off the FONT Scan feature. YES OR NO?
                            2) How do you find a "CORRUPT' font that NO OTHER program I use has a problem with? I use PS5.5, Illustrator 9, Flash 5, Dreamweaver 3, Adobe Go-Live 5, Fireeworks 3 and DRAW 9.

MAYBE its a problem with PS6 Not Motherboards or Operator error like the Adobe folks seem to be constantly repeating...

BTW I did remove all the fonts except those that the computer didn't allow me to i.e. system and in us fonts. Still no change...
                            • 11. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                              Level 1
                              If you don't play by the rules, James, you're gonna get ignored. Hardball does not sell in here. Post in the regular topics.
                              • 12. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                Level 1
                                Ian,
                                in Special Symbols, you forgot to mention to use the Numeric Pad and not the numbers on the keyboard.

Norbert
                                • 13. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                  Level 7
                                  James - Photoshop uses data in the fonts that most other programs ignore (kerning, for example).

The fact that it's scanning multiple times is odd -- but I'll bet you've got some sort of disk compression or file backup utility running that's modifying the dates on the files (thus invalidating the font cache).

Chris
                                  • 14. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                    Level 1
                                    This is just a suggestion for a FAQ topic.

There seems to be so many posts asking for the best hardware recommendations. "what video card should I get?", "What's the best printer for Photoshop?", best motherboard, best scanner, best monitor, etc.

Of course, you would have to explain these are just recommendations and Adobe doesn't endorse their products, nor should they be held responsible if something goes wrong with the hardware; but maybe it would be benefitial to post a thread, with best scanners in one post, best video cards in another, etc. They could be added or deleted as circumstances change (since technology changes every day).

I'm probably not wording this right since I'm tired. But, it's just a suggestion.
                                    • 15. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                      Level 7
                                      Adobe doesn't want to make any recommendations. You'll notice that when I talk about particular products, I state that it is MY opinion or MY experience.

Chris
                                      • 16. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                        Level 1
                                        Right. I understand that. that's why I said

>you would have to explain these are just recommendations and Adobe doesn't endorse their products, nor should they be held responsible if something goes wrong with the hardware;

But, then again, maybe it should just be answered in the regular forums since there are so many preferences and opinions. I just thought it would be easier for people to look here when they're considering a purchase.
                                        • 17. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                          Vicky,

A perfectly reasonable thought but I tend to agree with Chris. It really is down to personal opinion.

Furthermore, being in the FAQ section pretty well appears to be the last place the masses visit for answers at least that's how it appears with some the question still being asked on a regular basis.This forum is not alone, all seem to suffer the same problem.

Ian Lyons
                                          • 18. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                            hello,<br /><br /> <br />i just sit on photoshop 6.0 the first time. nice, but, to come to a point,<br />how can i creat a new gradiant, i tried like it´s told on F1 but i miss an option called<br />(i am sitting on a german version )<br />"Verläufe bearbeiten", and that´s depending on F1 the one to creatre new gradiants.<br /> <br />Please help !!!<br /> <br />thanks a lot<br /> <br />wfg<br />jan<br /><A <br />href="mailto:jan@mediapool.de">jan@mediapool.de</A>
                                            • 19. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                              LenHewitt Level 1
                                              Jan,

Post in Photoshop_Win rather than here which is for suggestions as to
                                              waht should go into the FAQ's.
                                              --
                                              Waes Haeil!

Len
                                              (posted from the UK)
                                              • 20. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                Mathias Vejerslev Level 2
                                                Vicky,

Not only is it hard to make general recommendations, but whats "best" changes all the time in this biz.

Here´s another idea:

Instructions on, and when, trashing preferences.

Mathias
                                                • 21. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Mathias - except for the recent files/removable drive problem, you should not have to throw away the PS6 preferences.

Chris
                                                  • 22. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Mathias,

Here's my stock Preferences response:

===============================
                                                    Go to your Photoshop folder and open the sub folder called 'Adobe Photoshop Settings', create a new sub folder called
                                                    'Suspect Prefs' and move the following files in the parent folder to the new sub folder: Adobe Photoshop 5.5 Prefs.psp
                                                    and photos55.ini

Now relaunch Photoshop - if it solves the problem, then you will have to reset all your preferences and then exit
                                                    Photoshop so that the new preferences files can be written, then restart Photoshop. If it doesn't solve the problem,
                                                    you can exit PS and move the files in the 'Suspect Prefs' folder back to the parent folder.

Once you have set up your preferences the way that you like them, you can save a copy to a new sub folder called 'Good
                                                    Preferences' and you can copy this one over the old one in the parent folder should you need to trash your Preferences
                                                    files in the future.
                                                    ===============================

Obviously it will have to be modified to take into effect Photoshop 6, but if anybody would like to add/amend it, this
                                                    could be used as an initial template.

Comments???
                                                    --
                                                    Carol S.
                                                    (posted from the UK)
                                                    • 23. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                      Mathias Vejerslev Level 2
                                                      Right! I believe that´s the clever way to do it. It kind of contradicts Cris´ comment in its professionality, but I sure see it used a lot for troubleshooting on the list. Carol, could you take it a step further, and name possible reasons for trashing prefs other than the file transfer prob?

I´m also keen on making a topic on accents in PS6. A lot of troubled people have asked about it, but to no avail. Kind of serious if you live in a latin country, I presume..

Mathias
                                                      • 24. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                        Level 1
                                                        > I´m also keen on making a topic on accents in PS6. A lot of troubled
                                                        people have asked about it, but to no avail. Kind of serious if you live in
                                                        a latin country, I presume..

We just fixed em all this week (you _don't_ want to know :-( !) The
                                                        workaround is to use the alt-keypad combo, or to see if there's a different
                                                        keyboard that doesn't use deadkeys or clt-alt combinations to get to the
                                                        desired accented characters.

-Scott
                                                        • 25. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                          I would like to know if anyone can make an image like the one found at
                                                          www.matrox.com/videoweb
                                                          in the logo its a pagecurl with a texture

could you please post a method to carry out this effect or email me at j_best@canada.com?

thanks in advance ...any help would be awesome!
                                                          • 26. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                            LenHewitt Level 1
                                                            Joel,

Post in the Photoshop forum - this is for FAQ suggestions
                                                            --
                                                            Waes Haeil!

Len
                                                            (posted from the UK)
                                                            • 27. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                              When I logged in via the web as 'guest', the link to the FAQ forum was missing although the message pointing to it was still there. After logging out and signing in with my username and password the link magically reappeared.

If that's by design,(?), I'd suggest making it clear that you can't access the FAQs as 'guest'.
                                                              • 28. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                Dorothy Krause Level 1
                                                                Should be better now... hadn't been intended. Thanks for pointing it out.
                                                                • 29. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                  DickD

I cannot access Adobe Online help For PhotoShop 6.0. Get error message "An unknown online error has occurred. Please try again or reinstall the software for your installation media." I have reinstalled at least three times and once I removed PhotoShop 6.0 before reinstalling. Same message. I have spent hours trying to get Adobe Online to function.

I know I am a novice but this is becoming redicules.

dick
                                                                  • 30. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                    In the thread "Photoshop 6 runs much slower..." there should be a list of all known "brakes" and their effects with specific OS`s, like Norton Protection, Symantec Winfax 10 etc., as well as the tip to use msconfig in case none of the culprits is installed, since there might well be yet unknown other little gremlins out there.

Otherwise it doesn't make too much sense to direct people with slowdown symptoms to the FAQ, because quite a number will come back to the regular forum disappointed. To my experience what is described in the FAQ re. slowdown covers less than 50% of the cases.
                                                                    • 31. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                      Wulff,

Very good suggestion!!

You seem to have a really good handle on many of the problem areas. Please list them along with the workarounds you have found and I will add them to the FAQ.

You might also explain to other users what msconfig is and were to find it, how to use it, etc.!!!

Ian Lyons
                                                                      • 32. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                        Is the content of the HTML help supplied with Photoshop 6 is the same then the PDF help file? Thank!
                                                                        • 33. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                          Would someone like to explain what the criteria are for including a topic in the FAQ? Is there a predetermined number of times (frequency) the same question has to be asked before it's included? Does someone, or does a committee perhaps, actually monitor all topics, decide which ones are really about the same problem, give a new wording (Supertopic) to all the problems that are the same but assigned differently worded topics by different users, and then, when they have met the frequency requirement they are included? I kind of imagine the process is a lot simpler than that, somehow. Possibly it's just based on someone's overall impressions about 'frequency'. Yes? No? Maybe 'frequency' is not being used as a criterion at all here. In #19, this thread, a question is asked and in #20 the asker is referred to the Photoshop_Win Forum.

"Post in Photoshop_Win rather than here which is for suggestions as to
                                                                          waht should go into the FAQ's"

Does this mean one need only 'suggest' a question, whether or not it is "frequently asked", and it may be included in the FAQ? The 'F' begins to appear increasingly less appropriate; and what are the criteria, if any, according to which a 'suggestion' gets validated? There is an allegation somewhere in this thread that the users aren't using the FAQ. Frankly fellas and femmes, it's for failure to fathom the fuzziness of the FAQ's features I frequently fear. Finally, what I'm really on about is how does one get that neat, smaller font, quote text into a post? No *this* is my final word, suggestion...How about a forum for topics relating to overall use of Adobe Forums. I have any number of questions about that that I don't find answers for in the HELP links. Cheers, best regards, salutations, Dave
                                                                          • 34. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                            Dorothy Krause Level 1
                                                                            >how does one get that neat, smaller font, quote text into a post?

So, you mean? Just start the line with a > and it will automatically magically change into the indented format.

There is a forum comments forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx.fcgi?14@@.ee6b30e (linked from the bottom of the right column on http://www.adobeforums.com as well).

Other answers are not quite as easy. The 'official' host's are volunteers... you probably know many, but, see http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/hosts/main.html to learn more. The group of folks that work with the faq's are called, for lack of a better term, host helpers and, of course, volunteer their time as well.

They are given authority to add, edit and update the FAQ topics. As volunteers none of us are directed in how to accomplish the tasks we choose to take on, tho there is obviously some coordination.

The helpers are folks that are in the forums regularly and have a feel of the flow of the questions. They get to pick and choose what they think is appropriate to include.

This topic is here so others can have a voice in the process as well... we're all in it together, after all, and many good suggestions have resulted.

Hope that helps!
                                                                            • 35. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              To DorothyK Re: #34

> So, you mean? Just start the line with a > and it will automatically magically change into the indented format.

Juuuuuuust checking it out.
                                                                              Dave
                                                                              • 36. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                DorothyK Re:#34 again.
                                                                                Thanks very much. Made my day with that little '>'. Love it! Feeling more and more at home with tips like those in the rest of your reply as well. Really, the official hosts and their 'helpers' are doing an extraordinarily excellent job of making this fascinating universe within a universe so habitable, hospitable. You all cannot be thanked enough, imo. I had tended to shy away from the "Forum Comments" link thinking that my forum *questions* would be unwelcome. A matter of a too literal interpretation on my part perhaps. I keep wanting to urge the adoption of the name 'Metaforum'. Yes indeed; we *are* certainly all in this together, as especially revealed on a day like today on Wall St. and Bay St. (Toronto).
                                                                                Is anyone else singing along to "Heartbreak Nortel"? Dave
                                                                                • 37. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                                  Dorothy Krause Level 1
                                                                                  Glad to see your enthusium, Dave! Have fun, learn well, and share what you've learned. That's what it's all about.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                                    I think all serious known BUGS should be listed at the very top of this forum. In fact, I don't think bug warnings should be left up to volunteers (not that the volunteers aren't appreciated) -- but Adobe should post a big warning for new users on their home page: "check here for ALL known bugs."

I spent several frustrating days wading through this site, looking for help on the black edges smudge problem (MP support bug) and finally out of desperation posted my question on the site -- just adding to the clutter of others who had asked the same question. The answer should have been easier to find, even if it isn't something that affects all users.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: FAQ suggestions archive
                                                                                      How about a nice padded room forum where people can get all their frustrations out first, before proceeding to take constructive steps to solve the problem. =o)

That's what I did, and I sure needed it...heh heh ;o) I regret to say that I spammed a lot of forums with my frustrations.

This way we keep all the complaining to one forum.
                                                                                      1 2 3 Previous Next