7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2008 5:03 AM by Newsgroup_User

images & layout not visible in design view

sharkmaster
      I have been using DW CS3 for several months. 99% of the time all the images and layouts showed up in design view properly. Occasionally they would disappear and then magically reappear. Recently they have dissapeared and I cannot get them back. A couple days ago I did something that got them back. But after the computer slept they would not show again the next morning. I found one old file that shows the layout and images properly. I cannot find any differences between that one and the newer files. I have validated the files and no errors were found.
      Anyone know how to fix this or what to look for?
        • 1. Re: images & layout not visible in design view
          Level 7
          Please don't make us guess -
          Post your code or even better, a link to your page(s)

"sharkmaster" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ggknld$4up$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have been using DW CS3 for several months. 99% of the time all the
          >images
          > and layouts showed up in design view properly. Occasionally they would
          > disappear and then magically reappear. Recently they have dissapeared and
          > I
          > cannot get them back. A couple days ago I did something that got them
          > back.
          > But after the computer slept they would not show again the next morning.
          > I
          > found one old file that shows the layout and images properly. I cannot
          > find
          > any differences between that one and the newer files. I have validated
          > the
          > files and no errors were found.
          > Anyone know how to fix this or what to look for?
          >

• 2. Re: images &amp; layout not visible in design view
            Level 7
            VIEW | Style Rendering > Display Styles

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

news:ggknld$4up$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have been using DW CS3 for several months. 99% of the time all the
            >images
            > and layouts showed up in design view properly. Occasionally they would
            > disappear and then magically reappear. Recently they have dissapeared and
            > I
            > cannot get them back. A couple days ago I did something that got them
            > back.
            > But after the computer slept they would not show again the next morning.
            > I
            > found one old file that shows the layout and images properly. I cannot
            > find
            > any differences between that one and the newer files. I have validated
            > the
            > files and no errors were found.
            > Anyone know how to fix this or what to look for?
            >

• 4. Re: images &amp; layout not visible in design view
              Level 7
              Superimposing text over a background image is a sure recipe for disaster.
              Open your page in Firefox and increase the text size by one tick. You
              layout already breaks at that point.

What is it that is not working for you in CS4? It works fine for me.

This is pretty unique -

<span class="style12 style11 style11 style11 style10">

And so is this -

<p align="left" class="style5"><span class="style7"><span class="style11
              style12 style12 style9"></span></span><span class="style9">

Looks to me like you need some basic HTML and CSS study....

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:ggpesl$4jl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Here is a page that used to work in DWCS3
              > http://viewafricasafari.com/review/AboutUs.html
              >

• 5. Re: images &amp; layout not visible in design view
                sharkmaster Level 1
                Actually those multiple styles are a remnant of what dreamweaver did when it suggested a style and I changed it. For some reason the old style was not replaced but the new one was added. I had not yet cleaned up this part of the code. But thank you for the comment.
                I am not sure what a background image is for it you cannot place foreground text on top of it?
                Of course I realize that I am using a mix of tables and css. Probably because I am more used to tables than css placement. As I get more familiar with css I probably will use only one or the other.
                I am not using CS4 I have only CS3. Yes I could use additional css study along with javascript, photoshop and flash.
                • 6. Re: images &amp; layout not visible in design view
                  sharkmaster Level 1
                  Thank you ACE. After I understood what you were saying that was indeed the answer.

For my future reference : On the View menu select Style Rendering then Display Styles to toggle between css styles being displayed or not. Actually I had the turned on the View | Toolbars > Style Rendering toolbar and it also has a button that looks like a blue circle with a stylized S on it that toggles the css display. But I had failed to try all those buttons and could not find the proper help on my computer or from the knowledgebase.
                  • 7. Re: images &amp; layout not visible in design view
                    Level 7
                    > For some reason the old style was not replaced but the new one was added.

The old style is never removed. You should change your approach here if you
                    want to avoid this flotsam in your code. Just stop using the Property
                    inspector to style your content. Start using CSS rules that *you* create to
                    do that. So, create the rule first. Then either apply it to the desired
                    content, or just let it cascade (the preferred way) into the content.

> I am not sure what a background image is for it you cannot place
                    > foreground
                    > text on top of it?

You can certainly place foreground text on top of a background image, but do
                    not expect it to align to any particular element in the background image.
                    Designing/developing web pages would be very hard without being able to use
                    background images! But to create the page as a single image, and just
                    overlay the content is a huge mistake. If you look at my site, you will see
                    the use of many background images, but not the way you have chosen
                    ( http://www.great-web-sights.com).

> Of course I realize that I am using a mix of tables and css.

There is nothing inherently wrong with doing this.

Anyhow, it seems you have solved your problem! Good luck!

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:ggqms0$jep$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Actually those multiple styles are a remnant of what dreamweaver did when
                    > it
                    > suggested a style and I changed it. For some reason the old style was not
                    > replaced but the new one was added. I had not yet cleaned up this part of
                    > the
                    > code. But thank you for the comment.
                    > I am not sure what a background image is for it you cannot place
                    > foreground
                    > text on top of it?
                    > Of course I realize that I am using a mix of tables and css. Probably
                    > because
                    > I am more used to tables than css placement. As I get more familiar with
                    > css I
                    > probably will use only one or the other.
                    > I am not using CS4 I have only CS3. Yes I could use additional css
                    > study
                    > along with javascript, photoshop and flash.
                    >