23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 9:43 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Lasso jumps to close before ready.

Community Member
      my polygonal lasso keeps jumping to close before I'm done and before I double click. Is there a way to make it less sensitive? What's wrong?
      It seems that the more I use it the quicker it jumps to close.
      Please help.
        • 1. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
          ockley Community Member
          My best guess is, that you should try another mouse and see if the problem is mechanical. Those mice grow old and hairy.

Closing with the polygon has nothing to do with sensitivity - a click is a click. You can only close it by double click or clicking at the starting point.

Tell me how that turns out.

/ockley
          • 2. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
            John Joslin Community Member
            > Those mice grow old and hairy.

Mine didn't!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
            • 3. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
              Community Member
              eepto0237,

Spare yourself some aggravation and use the Pen to make any but the quickest and crudest selections.
              • 4. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                ockley Community Member
                @Josh: Hehe, Did you forgot to feed it :-)
                @Ed: That could be a solution for some, but a lot of people actually feels more disturbed, when using pens for this kind of selections. Here you can talk about sensitivity and some might double click accidentally, when handling the mouse or it slips and do not hit the pixels you actually targeted. Then again - practice, practice and practice.

I personally use both pen and mouse. The pen makes me do thing that is not possible with the mouse, but with the polygon lasso I'm more successful with a mouse.

Finally, it is not a solution to the problem to use another tool, but I can only agree on the encouragement to use a pen with Photoshop :-)

/ockley
                • 5. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                  I think Ed meant the Pen Tool rather than the Wacom pen.
                  • 7. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                    ockley Community Member
                    Well, of course. I read it as "a" pen instead of "the" Pen. But now eepto nows that a pen is a great creative tool in conjunction with Photoshop :-)

sorry
                    /ockley
                    • 8. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                      n8turepix Community Member
                      The polygonal lasso needs a redesign, I've said it before. The fix that I use that minimizes the problem is to use a tablet pen and change my selecting method. For the Wacom Intuos I use, I set the "tip double click distance" to "off" in the Wacom Tablet Properties control panel applet. I also made sure none of the pen buttons do a double click. These things help, but under some circumstances Photoshop will still decide I double clicked even if the pen driver won't allow it.

Next, while using the polygonal lasso I make large complicated selections in multiple parts. That way each piece is stored as a separate history state and if Photoshop screws it up I don't lose the whole selection. I just go back to a previous state.
                      • 9. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                        Community Member
                        Christopher,

Again, the Pen Tool is so much better for making large, complex selections that using any kind of Lasso is madness IMHO.
                        • 10. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                          n8turepix Community Member
                          You're right, eepto should try the pen tool. Adobe might want to put it under the selection tools as a "complex selection tool" so it's more discoverable, or just put the code into the lasso tool. Photoshop can be that way; often the best tool for a job isn't where one would expect to find it in the tool palette.
                          • 11. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                            Only one thing wrong with that idea: the Pen Tool is used for a lot more than making selections!
                            • 12. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                              ockley Community Member
                              Guys, You are moving away from the topic. This thread is about an undesirable double click. Your solution to the problem is to drop the tool and use another - I don't feel that is a qualified solution :-)

I love the Pen Tool, and sings the gospel to every soul that will listen. You are right, that it is better than the Polygon Lasso Tool in many ways. Then again, sometimes you have selected an area with the Quick Selection Tool or Magic Wand and just wan't to refine som straight lines ... here I would use the Polygon Lasso Tool.

Eepto0237, please return with an update on using another mouse. Did that solve the problem, or does it still act weird?

P.S: This is not written in anger, but just ment to return focus on the topic - please, don't get offended :-)

Best Regard
                              ockley
                              • 13. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                twobordercollies Community Member

I have the exact same problem. Does everyone have any further information? I have tried different mice-no result. It happens so quickly too-within the first 3 clicks of a selelction.

I've been working on this same version of photoshop for years-never had a problem-why would it start-what could have changed?

Thank you,

Pam

• 14. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                  Reynolds (Mark) Community Member

You need to find a way to change your DOUBLE CLICK SPEED. Speed maybe needs to be faster, and double click distance needs to be closer. Its resistering as a double click when you are merely clicking points. On mac this is relatively easy to do. On a PC my guess is that you will find this within the Mouse Control Panel.

• 15. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                    dec9 Community Member

Yup, mouse option in the control panel.

• 16. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                      Q Photo Community Member

Repeating myself but I have had the problem of the selection closing too fast for a number of years.  On some systems there was no problem at all, while it was prevalent on other systems.  I tried ALL suggestions to no avail.  I refused to accept the "use the pen tool" solution because I thought it was too difficult (for me) to learn.  While I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in Photoshop I have a mental block about using the handles created with the pen tool.  That was the reason for my reluctance to learn it.  Now that I finally realize that you can make selections with it, without using the handles, it has ended my reliance on the lasso tool.  And my selections are done much faster because there are no problems such as the screen going black or white, mouse running off screen or selections closing too soon.  Learn the pen tool.  It is just as easy, as the lasso, to learn.

• 17. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.

THANK YOU! Both of the last suggestions worked like a charm! The mouse options worked (at least so far), and I did mess with the pen tool last night, and was surprised to learn how easy it was-but I agree, the curves and handles are a pain in the neck when you're not very good with them.

by the way-is there a keyboard shortcut to delete past points when you're in the middle of making a selection? I haven't been able to find a way, except right click>delete anchor point.

AGAIN-THANK YOU!

• 18. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.

I can't believe this- as soon as I wrote that last post, it started doing it again-I rechecked the mouse settings, and I did click "apply".

Also-maybe I should have mentioned, the photoshop window (not the whole photoshop window, just the document window) blinks right before this happens-almost like it's doing a reset on its own. Incredibly frusterating!

• 19. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                            Reynolds (Mark) Community Member
                                            by the way-is there a keyboard shortcut to delete past points when you're in the middle of making a selection?

If you mean while using the Pen tool - yes. If you turn on "Auto add/Delete" in the options bar then just hovering over any point allows you to delete it. Mastering the pen tool and the Direct Selction Tool all their shortcuts (P, Shift A, Option and Command keys, using Comand Return to turn the path into a selection ) - is essential to mastering these tools. When you get it you'll never go back to using the lasso.

• 20. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                              Q Photo Community Member

"the photoshop window (not the whole photoshop window, just the document window) blinks right before this happens-almost like it's doing a reset on its own. Incredibly frusterating!"

Yes it is.  That's one of the many problems I've encountered over the years.  Why selection tool works fine on some systems and not on others is a mystery.  And I'll repeat that I tried EVERY solution and never found the answer.

In the last year I've made all selections with the Pen Tool.  When I come to curves, or difficult areas to work with, I just zoom in and make anchor points closer together.  Exactly as I formally did with selection tool.  I don't use the handles at all.  If you are careful, there will be no need to go back and change anchor points.  If I do miss an area that I need I just finish my path and then go back and do a new path to include that area.  This works fine for me.

I'm pretty much self taught in Photoshop.  I did a lot of reading to know what I know.  The Pen Tool is the one thing that I would need someone to actually sit beside me and show me how to use the handles properly.  Point being, I'm definitely no expert in using it.  Far from it.  However, I manage to make very precise selections with it.  And again, it's just as easy as the selection tool.  And a lot less trouble.

• 21. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.

Yes-I am beginning to realize that-and very relieved to find a work-around. I still wonder, after working with the same version of photoshop for years with no problems, what would cause it to change suddenly? A mystery of either photoshop or windows, I suppose. Things like that bug me.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help and advice!

Pam

• 22. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                                  -seed-

Hey I know this thread is old and probably outdated, but just now I found a solution, at least for Windows 7 users:

1Right click your Photoshop shortcut (or the .exe) and hit "preferences", now go to the "compatibility" tab

2Choose Run in compatibility mode for "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)"

3Hit "run program as administrator"

4Click "ok"

5Start PS

Problem solved! At least on my computer.

I'm german so sorry if i guessed the english translations for the menues wrong!

Hope it helped someone!

cheers

Simon

• 23. Re: Lasso jumps to close before ready.
                                                    Noel Carboni Community Member

Simon, none of those steps should be necessary.  The two or three most recent versions of Photoshop normally run in Windows 7 without special compatibility settings, running as Administrator, or lowering the UAC level.

There are applications/subsystems that some people have installed in their systems that may take focus away from Photoshop briefly.  A solution is to remove or reconfigure these to be less intrusive.

There is also the possibility that the person making mouse clicks is simply making them so quickly that the system recognizes a "double click" and thus closes the selection.  The Mouse settings control panel dialog is where this can be changed.

-Noel