6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 11:12 AM by Gregory Lafrance

Hi all, I do not know what flex are?

Emad Zedan
      Hi all

I think that Flex is an important software but I do not know what it does, and if I need it or not.

Dose it help in the multimedia field, I'm a flash Developer and I think that Flex have something common with flash but what it does exactly.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          Flash is great for creating smaller, timeline based animations, whereas Flex came to be because when you try to create "real" applications in Flash, you end up with a nightmare, because the timeline is bad for controlling program control.

Flex controls the program using events.

So it depends on what you plan to do in the future. If you have a good business creating smaller animations, and if you think that business will continue into the future, you may not need Flex.

But if you are currently creating applications in Flash, and are feeling the pain, learn Flex.

Also, if you agree with the prediction that most software ten years (or less) from now will be delivered over the web, and that the lines between web and desktop apps will continue to blur (makes sense to me), then learn Flex / AIR, sell your skills well (great product + great marketing == more cash), and make a ton of cash.
          • 2. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
            Emad Zedan Level 1
            Thanks Greg Lafrance, I think that I do not need flex for the next 5 years but until that it will be too complicated to learn Flex, as flash does each time a new version came a lot of features are added.

- I do not know what is the problem with the flash timeline it is great for code and for animation.
            - About Adobe air, I can make applications using flash and I have no problems.
            -About Flex controls the program using events I think flash do also control program using events.
            • 3. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
              Ansury Level 3
              If you don't even see why the constraint of a timeline is a problem, you're probably not doing (software dev type) work would be better done in Flex-- just a guess. Specific examples of what your end goal product is would be needed to give better advice.
              • 4. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
                Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                I guess you've answered your question yourself. You seem confident Flash will work for you, and that's fine, really, but I suspect that a better understanding of Flex and the problems it solves when compared to Flash will make it more clear which you should use.
                • 5. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
                  Emad Zedan Level 1
                  Thanks Greg Lafrance
                  • 6. Re: Hi all, I do not know what flex are?
                    Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                    Always a pleasure promoting the use of Flex. It's great.