6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 6:41 AM by BrandonMUS

Local/Server Sync Problems

BrandonMUS
      I want to start by saying that I love Dreamweaver's ability to work with a test server and a production server. Being able to upload a complete site to our development server has made it a ton easier to get approval and critiques before throwing it to our production server (prior to this, I constantly had to roll back changes after uploading approved changes to the production server!).

That being said, I have noticed that when I use both the Testing Server and Remote Server, files are constantly being marked as "changed on the server," which forces me to re-upload the files. While this isn't a big concern, it is making me sloppy and I no longer pay attention to that message. There have been rare occasions in the past where I've made changes outside of Dreamwever, and I may forget to copy the changes over to my Dreamweaver. I have a Diff program installed and it's very easy to tell when changes have truly been made in text documents, but for images, it doesn't work so well.

Has anyone else noticed this problem before? Am I possibly doing something wrong? If I had to guess, this problem is directly related to uploading to the Testing Server, but I have never been able to prove it with a repeatable test.
        • 1. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
          Level 7
          > That being said, I have noticed that when I use both the Testing Server
          > and
          > Remote Server

You are not using DW optimally if this is how you are doing it.

Try this -

Set up TWO sites:

1. Your Testing site
          2. Your Production site

The testing site has local site as usual, maybe even testing server as
          usual, and a remote site at some internal location.
          The production site has local site as usual (the same as in #1, in fact),
          testing as usual, and remote at the PRODUCTION location.

During production, use site 1. When everything is ready to go, switch to
          site 2 and publish the files.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"BrandonMUS" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ggkd0q$lhq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I want to start by saying that I love Dreamweaver's ability to work with a
          >test
          > server and a production server. Being able to upload a complete site to
          > our
          > development server has made it a ton easier to get approval and critiques
          > before throwing it to our production server (prior to this, I constantly
          > had to
          > roll back changes after uploading approved changes to the production
          > server!).
          >
          , files are constantly being marked as "changed on the server,"
          > which forces me to re-upload the files. While this isn't a big concern,
          > it is
          > making me sloppy and I no longer pay attention to that message. There
          > have
          > been rare occasions in the past where I've made changes outside of
          > Dreamwever,
          > and I may forget to copy the changes over to my Dreamweaver. I have a
          > Diff
          > program installed and it's very easy to tell when changes have truly been
          > made
          > in text documents, but for images, it doesn't work so well.
          >
          > Has anyone else noticed this problem before? Am I possibly doing
          > something
          > wrong? If I had to guess, this problem is directly related to uploading
          > to the
          > Testing Server, but I have never been able to prove it with a repeatable
          > test.
          >

• 2. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
            BrandonMUS Level 1
            Okay, so I need to create two Dreamweaver sites for every website we have? One dev, one production? If that's the case, what's Testing Sever vs. Remote Server intended for?
            • 3. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
              Level 7
              > Okay, so I need to create two Dreamweaver sites for every website we have?
              > One dev, one production?

Yes - if that's the way you work.

The Testing server is where you tell DW how to SERVE the pages rather than
              merely hand them to the browser for a preview. You define how you connect
              to the testing server, where the root folder is for the testing server for
              this particular site, and how to request that the page be served rather than
              just browsed. It is not really intended to be a housing for your files
              *unless* you would have the Local site and the testing server in the same
              location (many people do this).

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:ggke04$mjd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Okay, so I need to create two Dreamweaver sites for every website we have?
              > One dev, one production? If that's the case, what's Testing Sever vs.
              > Remote Server intended for?

• 4. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
                BrandonMUS Level 1
                Okay, that's sounds reasonable. When I go to create the new site (just duplicated the current site), I get an error saying that this site shares another site's folder and may cause sync problems. Should I just ignore that?
                • 5. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
                  Level 7
                  Yes, it's not really an error as much as it's an alert. And what it's
                  saying is that if you are connected to one of those sites, and perform a
                  synch operation, things could get a bit confused when you connect to the
                  OTHER site and try to synch again. So, a good rule of thumb would be -

1. Never synch from site1 - just use PUT/GET (this is reasonable when site1
                  is the testing site).
                  2. Only synch from site2.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:ggkfji$oge$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Okay, that's sounds reasonable. When I go to create the new site (just
                  > duplicated the current site), I get an error saying that this site shares
                  > another site's folder and may cause sync problems. Should I just ignore
                  > that?
                  >

• 6. Re: Local/Server Sync Problems
                    BrandonMUS Level 1
                    So this did not fix the issue after all. Anytime I upload a file to side A - DEV, I will be prompted to reupload it to A next time. This is a very annoying problem, so I'm hoping someone has another idea? Where is all of this sync information stored? Is it possible that the sites are overriding the same file since they share the same local directory tree?