4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2007 7:25 AM by Lainie_S

Modifying draft location

Tom Benjamin Level 1
      Is it possible to change the location where a user's draft pages are stored?

I've just run into a situation where an end-user asked for Contribute to be removed and given to another user, not thinking to mention that she had 16 draft pages which she's been working on for a year! The uninstall deleted those drafts and there appears to be no way of recovering them.

It would be more secure to have drafts stored on a networked drive that is regularly backed up. Can this be achieved?

Tom
        • 1. Re: Modifying draft location
          thdom
          Tom, I know that you can set up Contribute to work with a staging server, and that might work for what you want. You'll need to do a search for the docs
          • 2. Re: Modifying draft location
            Tom Benjamin Level 1
            From my reading the CPS doesn't allow drafts to be stored anywhere other than on the user's local drive.

Tom
            • 3. Re: Modifying draft location
              Tom Benjamin Level 1
              After scouring the Windows registry I think I have the solution. Each site the user has a key for has an entry in the registry; this matches the sites in the user's Documents and Settings Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Contribute 3\Sites folder. In that folder are subfolders called Site1, Site2 etc, which hold the locally stored drafts and new pages. In the registry under HKEY_USERS\....\...\Software\Macromedia\Contribute 3\Sites are folders called Site0, Site1 etc. Each of those has a "Local Directory" setting which you can change from C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Contribute 3\Sites\Site1\ to your preferred network location - which you can easily backup on a regular basis.

I hope that in a future release Adobe will make this a setting that can be administered through the Contribute 3 interface. For us it makes the difference between using Contribute 3 and the CPS or abandoning Contribute and looking for an alternative solution.

Tom
              • 4. Re: Modifying draft location
                Lainie_S
                Does anyone know if they made this change easier in Contribute 4 or CS3? We are also having to modify this in order for drafts to be backed up.

Thanks! Lainie