1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 4:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Desperately need chart help!

zonathen
      We coded a fairly specialized column chart component with custom tooltips using tooltipmanager because three data points are displayed with arrows next to them and the standard data tips wouldn't work. The tips are drawn on top of the chart component because they sometimes need to extend past the top of the chart area. The tips are positioned using the mouseover event of the column and the dataToLocal function to identify the point.

The problem is randomly the data for the chart will bump down the by 10 pixels or so. The only thing that I can figure out is the data range differs but cannot pinpoint an exact reason to go on after 2-3 months of working on it. The way I understand it, since we are using dataToLocal it shouldn't matter what the data presents to the chart, the points should always be accurate.

Sure seems like a bug in dataToLocal to me! I wish there was another way to do it without dataToLocal.

I would like to be able to override the function somehow and see if I can fix it but my flex builder cant find it's sources anymore which is big pain in the youknowwhat!

Please help!!!

• 1. Re: Desperately need chart help!
          Level 7

"zonathen" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g980hm$m5j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > We coded a fairly specialized column chart component with custom tooltips
          > using
          > tooltipmanager because three data points are displayed with arrows next to
          > them
          > and the standard data tips wouldn't work. The tips are drawn on top of
          > the
          > chart component because they sometimes need to extend past the top of the
          > chart
          > area. The tips are positioned using the mouseover event of the column and
          > the
          > dataToLocal function to identify the point.
          >
          > The problem is randomly the data for the chart will bump down the by 10
          > pixels
          > or so. The only thing that I can figure out is the data range differs but
          > cannot pinpoint an exact reason to go on after 2-3 months of working on
          > it.
          > The way I understand it, since we are using dataToLocal it shouldn't
          > matter
          > what the data presents to the chart, the points should always be accurate.
          >
          > Sure seems like a bug in dataToLocal to me! I wish there was another way
          > to
          > do it without dataToLocal.
          >
          > I would like to be able to override the function somehow and see if I can
          > fix
          > it but my flex builder cant find it's sources anymore which is big pain in
          > the
          > youknowwhat!

http://blogs.adobe.com/flexdoc/2008/04/extracting_data_visualization.html

You can also look at the 3.0.0 source, which is still there.