8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 10:16 AM by Newsgroup_User

Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...

ClarryUk
      Hello,

I am making this website of mine, which is a challenge for me as I am in no way a web designer or programmer and am just learning it as I go along, but am quite pleased with what I have managed to accomplish so far!

I am stuck at one crucial but hopefully final stage though...

Basically, I have a sidebar on the left which is a container for a Collapsible Panel of links for photographic galleries which I've made using a Flash template called Simpleviewer (I have no clue with Flash at all, so that was my only option!!).

Now, the Flash gallery opens up in the main area of the window, to the right of that sidebar and is within a "flashContent" container, which links to the "Viewer.swf" file, which is the gallery.

What I need to do is tell this flashContainer to link to a different flash gallery depending on which gallery link is clicked on in the sidebar, and I cannot work out how to do this.

I think it's like something we used to do in Frames years ago, which are apparently a Bad Thing nowdays, so I'm sure there must be a way of saying to it "if Egypt is clicked on, then open the Egypt gallery in the flashContainer" etc....

If anyone can give me some guidance on how to do this, I'd be extremely grateful, and if you like, I can send you the code or a link to my test-URL of the page in a private message.

Many thanks in advance!

Matt
        • 1. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
          Level 7
          Since you haven't posted a link to your page, I'm guessing you probably
          want to use an iframe, with links to the various gallery/index pages
          targeted to that iframe.

basic inline frame code:
          ---------------------------------
          <iframe id="FRAME1" name="FRAME1" height="500" width="500"
          scrolling="auto" frameborder="0" src="gallery1/index.html"> </iframe>

Links
          ---------
          <a href="gallery1/index.html" target="FRAME1">Gallery 1</a>
          <a href="gallery2/index.html" target="FRAME1">Gallery 2</a>
          <a href="gallery3/index.html" target="FRAME1">Gallery 3</a>

--
          Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

• 2. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
            ClarryUk Level 1
            Hello Nancy,

Thanks for the reply....

No, I really don't want to use Frames - I thought they were considered evil these days?

Here is a link to my test page then, for you to see what I mean:

It only has stupid holiday snaps in the gallery at the moment, as I haven't put the actual photog galleries in yet, and the links don't work - they're only there to test the layout and the collapsible panel functionality at the moment.

http://www.burlemphoto.com/Scripts/PAGES/PLACES/Untitled-18.html

So, as I hope you can see, I just need a way of telling it that if I click "Egypt", the gallery on the right changes to the Egypt gallery, and then if I click on Life or Things or Contact (outsdie the collapsible panel of Places), the Panel with collapse and the relevant gallery will display on the right.

I have thought about doing it by having every gallery on its own page, with the link-menu on the left the same on every page except for each link being highlighted depending on what the gallery is, but this will mean the collapsible panel won't really have full functionality then, as it'll open smoothly but then a link outside of it is clicked, it will just go to a page where the panel is closed, so will look very sudden and not very elegant, so I was trying to do it in a way that preserved the open/close motion of the sidebar panel.

Also, I thought doing each gallery on a different page might be quite an inefficient way of doing and thought there must just be a simple way of telling the 'flashcontent' container to just point to a different .swf file for each link clicked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

M
            • 3. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
              Level 7
              Do not confuse Inline Frames <iframes> with <framesets>. They are very
              different. I don't see any problem using iframes to display multiple flash
              photo galleries on the same page. In fact, this is one instance where
              iframes are a sensible solution to your problem.

Here's an example of a flash photo gallery made with JAlbum's Banana Album
              displayed inside an iframe.
              http://alt-web.com/gallery.shtml

--
              Nancy O.
              www.alt-web.com

• 4. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
                ClarryUk Level 1
                Ah ok Nancy, thanks - I was indeed thinking of Frames (framesets), which I gather a no-no these days.

I'll look more into iFrames then.... I haven't heard of those before!

Are they something I can use in Dreamweaver?

M
                • 5. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
                  Level 7
                  Use the basic <iframe> code from my earlier reply.

For a list of other <iframe> attributes, look here.
                  http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_iframe.asp

--
                  Nancy O.
                  www.alt-web.com

• 6. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
                    Rere2
                    Hi,
                    I'm in the process of finishing up my website. I should publish this weekend. It has 17 different galleries and each gallery is on a separate page. I used Coffeecup photo gallery-which uses Flash and Javascript (do a Google search). And it was fairly easy to construct. I found their support forums helpful.

I constructed my pages with nav gallery links on the side, and 5 nav bars on the top. Each page links to every other page link. I'm using Dreamweaver's Library for my nav bars--which proved pretty convenient.

This may not be what you're looking for, but thought you might want to look into it. I'm a pro photographer and hoping to sell some fine-art prints online and to also show my studio/location work.

• 7. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
                      ClarryUk Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      Use the basic <iframe> code from my earlier reply.

For a list of other <iframe> attributes, look here.
                      http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_iframe.asp

Thanks for the iFrame info Nancy.

It took a bit of head-scratching but I did manage to get it to work on my site, for one flash gallery so far, so will have a go at getting the iFrame to display different galleries depending on gallery links that are clicked....

Are iFrames considered "ok" to use or are they anything like old Framesets which are considered a Bat Thing?

It looks like a good solution to me, but I've never heard of it before so am a bit wary of making a whole site out of them!

M

--
                      Nancy O.
                      www.alt-web.com

• 8. Re: Opening different Flash Galleries with different links...
                        Level 7
                        <Are iFrames considered "ok" to use or are they anything like old
                        Framesets?>

Ok to use; not the same as framesets.

Whether or not you choose to use iframes is entirely up to you. Iframes are
                        handy in many situations because they allow you to bring a page into a page.
                        Would I want to build an entire site around them? No, of course not. I
                        would want to use direct links to all pages if possible. But when it isn't
                        possible, iframes to the rescue.

Best of luck with your project. :-)
                        --
                        Nancy O.
                        www.alt-web.com