2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 2:05 AM by Phil_Wells

See Also problems

Phil_Wells
      Hi,

I don't know if anyone can shed light on this, but all See Also buttons in all the CHM help files (both my own and those associated with the software I use) stopped working some moths ago. All that's left is a an 'X' where the See Also button used to be in the compiled output.

The fact that every single CHM file seems to have this problem (including Robohelps own CHM help files) and not just ones I produce suggests the problem lies outside Robohelp.

I've tried on computers using varying antvirus programs (Panda, MacAfee, etc) and that's not the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder in one of the many security patches from Microsoft is interfering with the See Also button.

Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: See Also problems
          Pete Lees Level 2
          Hi, Phil,

I'd suggest that you run MJ's Help Diagnostics, choosing the option to "Refresh Registration of all HH 1.x DLLs".

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

It sounds like something has unregistered your copy of the HTML Help ActiveX control (%windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx).

POSTSCRIPT: This may be an issue where you first need to unregister the HTML Help ActiveX control before you re-register it. To do this, open a Command Prompt window and then run the following two commands:

regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx
          regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx

The first command unregisters the ActiveX control; the second re-registers it.

Pete
          • 2. Re: See Also problems
            Phil_Wells Level 1
            Hi Pete,

Thank you - this appears to be the answer. I used the tool you suggested to re-register the DLL's and my See Also's reappeared.

One of our developers re-wrote our installer recently - methinks that might be the source of my problem.

Many thanks.