9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 7:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

Medical Application

flexnewby
      I'm interested in using Flex for such. First screen will be a "practice desktop/dashboard" to include a scheduler and messaging system (doctor to staff, doctor to patient, staff to patient, etc). It will also house reminders (charts to complete, calls to make, etc. How best to proceed? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Medical Application
          Level 7

"flexnewby" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ggfqqb$n4r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm interested in using Flex for such. First screen will be a "practice
          > desktop/dashboard" to include a scheduler and messaging system (doctor to
          > staff, doctor to patient, staff to patient, etc). It will also house
          > reminders
          > (charts to complete, calls to make, etc. How best to proceed? Thanks.

You may want to pick up Flex 3 Training Fron the Source.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Medical Application
            flexnewby Level 1
            I have searched these forums but have been unable to find this information.
            • 3. Re: Medical Application
              Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

I would use Blaze DS for push data:

- Flex messaging with ActionScript allows you to send and receive synchronized messages.
              - Flex messaging with JMS allows you to get messages sent by Java

• 4. Re: Medical Application
                flexnewby Level 1
                All of this, of course, must tie to a database with patients, diagnosis/disease tables, procedure tables, etc. This may be well over my head as a newby.
                • 5. Re: Medical Application
                  Level 7

news:gggt66$55n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I have searched these forums but have been unable to find this information.

Try Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, or your favorite book store.

• 6. Re: Medical Application
                    Level 7

news:gggvnb$85v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > All of this, of course, must tie to a database with patients,
                    > diagnosis/disease tables, procedure tables, etc. This may be well over my
                    > head as a newby.

Flex 3 Training from the Source will at least give you a basic grasp of what
                    the problems are. It won't help you at all with the database design,
                    though. You may want to google "database normalization" to start to
                    understand those concepts.

HTH;

Amy

• 7. Re: Medical Application
                      Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

You can also use LCDS with the Data Management Service.

Whether you are a newbie or not, you still need to have a team on this project, not just one developer.
                      • 8. Re: Medical Application
                        flexnewby Level 1
                        I'm in no particular hurry to complete this project; I'm doing this to satisfy my curiosity about this developmental platform and it's capabilities. The heart of the program will be a tool allowing the physician to quickly generate hospital reports, office notes, consultation letters, etc. This must be done efficiently and most importantly quickly so I don't know if a web app will be suitable. There are a number of templating programs available for a nominal charge so I'm not sure if it's wise to start de novo with Adobe or try and incorporate code from other sources.
                        • 9. Re: Medical Application
                          Level 7

news:ggifhg$76h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > I'm in no particular hurry to complete this project; I'm doing this to
                          > satisfy
                          > my curiosity about this developmental platform and it's capabilities. The
                          > heart of the program will be a tool allowing the physician to quickly
                          > generate
                          > hospital reports, office notes, consultation letters, etc. This must be
                          > done
                          > efficiently and most importantly quickly so I don't know if a web app will
                          > be
                          > suitable. There are a number of templating programs available for a
                          > nominal
                          > charge so I'm not sure if it's wise to start de novo with Adobe or try and
                          > incorporate code from other sources.

You'd probably be better off just developing an application in Microsoft
                          Access, unless you have a need to deliver to Mac. The advantage of Access
                          is that the back end database can be served or not, and it already has a
                          bunch of built in stuff to support your requirements.

HTH;

Amy