5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2007 11:53 AM by Jim_Simon

Upconverting to HD

This may sound rather odd but I have a huge investment in DVCAM cameras, the DSR300 series. These are about 15k each. I want to continue using them during the conversion / migration to 16:9 and HD.

Can I capture footage in Premiere and then upconvert this footage to HD?
      Does Premiere offer any line doubling techniques?

I also have seen some dv cameras that shoot in the 16:9 mode either anamorphically or electronicly chopping off the top and bottom of the image. I would like to be able to upconvert this footage to 16:9 HD as well.

In short I want to get the most $ for my current investment before converting entirely to HDV.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Upconverting to HD
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I have to throw in my two cents here. If you've spent $15K per camera, HDV is a poor upgrade. Strictly consumer. You should be looking at something like the AJ-HPX2000 from Panasonic. Now that's a pro HD camera. Or at least something in the XDCAM HD line from Sony (though I am not generally a fan of interframe compression.)
          • 2. Re: Upconverting to HD
            Level 1
            > Can I capture footage in Premiere and then upconvert this footage to HD?

Yes. There are 2 products that can help you up-convert. But, beware, because the quality isn't going to be anything fantastic. Take a look at reSizer and InstantHD
            • 3. Re: Upconverting to HD
              Level 1
              Gave a quick look at ReSizer since it works with interlaced footage and InstandHD does not. ReSizer looks exactly like what I was looking for.
              FYI, there are several 3chip pro level cameras that can shoot a 16:9 image. Until I am ready (and until the market stabalizes a little more) I want to shoot 16:9 DV and upconvert to HD for some projects. Loks like a good cost effective transitional method.
              I greatly prefer the 3chip pro camers over the likes of the smaller camcorders. They have much greater dynamic range and contrast. This is what makes the image look good. There is much more to image quality than high resolution. Also the low lighting capabilities are better on these cameras.

Thanks for the tip.
              • 4. Re: Upconverting to HD
                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                I think the next version of Boris Continuum Complete version 5.0, due out any day now, has a new upconvert filter as well.

I think the Xena 2K card will upconvert as well. Not sure how you'd take advantage of that in your workflow though...
                • 5. Re: Upconverting to HD
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I greatly prefer the 3chip pro camers over the likes of the smaller camcorders.

That's why I suggested the HPX2000 over an HDV camera. (Don't confuse that with the handheld HVX200 from Panasonic. The 2000 is a shoulder mount pro camera in all respects.)