3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2007 5:55 AM by Harm Millaard

General question about converting...

Hi,

I'm kinda new to editing and I'm working on a project here using PP CS3 and a lot of footage in .vob file format.

I've read some posts in this forum, and I know that a lot of people have problems importing .vob files and that a lot of users recommend using Premiere Elements.

Now that is for a few reasons not an option for me, and I've kinda had a good expercience importing .vob files via the Avisynth method, which really works perfectly (no red frames, etc.) - BUT PP starts crashing when exporting a project bigger than 2-3 min using those .vob files...

That does not happen when I use .avi (or other) footage...

I've read in other posts that people recommend converting the .vob files to (uncompressed) .avi - and I tried that, but it seems to me - just looking at the footage - that the quality is slightly worse...

Is that in general the case, that you loose quality when converting to .avi (or maybe converting in general) ?

What output format would you recommend converting to (from .vob) when trying to keep the quality but getting a smaller file size than uncompressed .avi ?

Btw, I use Carbon Coder for converting the footage...

Thanx for your help in advance !

Mike