4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2007 12:01 PM by (P._Schae)

Aspect Ratio in Premiere Pro CS3

I have imported a Quicktime movie (a desktop recording of a software created using SnapZ Pro) which was recorded in SnapZ Pro with frame dimensions of 720 x 480 pixels. When I import this quicktime movie file into my Premiere Pro CS3 project, the settings for which is a frame size of 720 x 480, it looks distorted in both the source and program windows. If both the imported file, and the project settings match dimensions, shouldn't the imported file view properly?

Any help appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Aspect Ratio in Premiere Pro CS3
          mickkeay Level 1
          Has similar with some converted files. Think its a pixel thing. You could right click the file in the project window and try the options under 'interpret footage'
          • 2. Re: Aspect Ratio in Premiere Pro CS3
            Jeron Coolman Level 1
            Sounds like an aspect ratio issue.
            • 3. Re: Aspect Ratio in Premiere Pro CS3
              Ruud Blauw Level 1
              Maybe the SnapZ Pro captured video has a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 1 instead of 0.9 which it would be for standard NTSC DV.

The solution depends on what you are planning to do with your movie:
              • If it only has to play on a computer you could import the footage in a custom project (Desktop) where you would set the PAR to 1.
              • If you plan to output to DV tape or burn a DVD you could resize the video to 640x480 inside a 720x480 frame. That would leave black "pillars" on both sides.
                Or you could re-capture at 720x480 with a 0.9 PAR (if SnapZ Pro offers that option). Should the software lack a PAR setting you could instead capture at 720x534.
              • 4. Re: Aspect Ratio in Premiere Pro CS3
                Level 1
                Rock 'n roll, baby. Since my movie only has to play on a computer monitor I used the Desktop setting for my project with a PAR of 1.0, and changed the PAR of my imported file to 1.0 and viola, the view is fabulous.

You were right on the money Ruud Blauw: SnapZ seems to use a PAR of 1 instead of 0.9 (and no, it doesn't seem to offer the option to change the PAR setting). Thanks so much for the assistance.