21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2008 6:53 PM by (F.A._Hutchison)

Chinese text

I've just completed an English version of a 6 minute marketing video. Now I must create 2 sub-titled versions, one with Simplified Chinese, the other with Traditional Chinese sub-titles. I've had professional translations done. Now, when I attempt to copy/paste Chinese text into Premiere Pro CS3's titler, a few of the characters apparently are not recognized, and show up as a box with an X through them. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,
      Bill
      matchframe@mindspring.com
        • 1. Re: Chinese text
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          No experience, just guessing: Could it be that the font you are using in Premiere doesn't have glyphs for those characters?
          • 2. Re: Chinese text
            Level 1
            It's something I thought of too. But no matter what font I select, those characters are always missing.
            • 3. Re: Chinese text
              Dag Norum Level 2
              I have sort of done the same, although it was only simplified Chinese and I did it in Premiere 6.5, but...

Of course you have both fonts installed (simplified and traditional), so I was more thinking about how you got the translation delivered. I got mine in a unicode encoded (if I remember the wording correctly) wordpad file. Maybe that is something to look into, the delivery format I mean.

Dag
              • 4. Re: Chinese text
                Ruud Blauw Level 1
                Can you get the text to show up correctly outside PPro, e.g. in Word or Wordpad?
                • 5. Re: Chinese text
                  Level 1
                  The text does show up properly in word processing and spreadsheet programs - which by the way, was how it was delivered to me from the translation company. As a work around, I am paying to have another translator come up with alternative wording to try to say the same thing using different characters. It's infuriating right now - not to mention getting more expensive.
                  • 6. Re: Chinese text
                    Ruud Blauw Level 1
                    It is odd that PPro doesn't display characters that do exist in the font you are using. Worth a Bug Report .

Maybe you should give Lemony Subtitler a try.
                    • 7. Re: Chinese text
                      Level 1
                      Make sure you have the Chinese/Japanese font pack installed for Windows. I had to install that when I had a similar project. Also, try Simsun (I think that's what it's called) font. That's worked for me when I've had to do that kind of work.
                      • 8. Re: Chinese text
                        Level 1
                        Eric. If I can display most of the Chinese characters, doesn't that mean that the Chinese font is installed? I never installed one specifically. I am using only the fonts that came with Windows XP or with specific applications.
                        • 9. Re: Chinese text
                          Level 1
                          Take a look at this and see if it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2E0C5A2-66FE-4854-BE35-7A5E539A0 980&displaylang=en

I do remember that after I downloaded some patch from Microsoft, everything worked fine, and now I can cut and paste the text, using the SimSun font. I do know that if I don't use the correct font, the boxes will show up - SimSun and SimHei are the ones to use.

If you are able to view the characters, then just make sure when you cut and paste the text, you are using one of those fonts in the PPro titler.

Sorry, it was a while ago when I delt with this so I'm trying to remember all the details to help.
                          • 10. Re: Chinese text
                            Level 1
                            Please don't apologize. I appreciate your inputs. Adobe has yet to respond to my email or Bug Report. I'll cut them some slack because it's the holidays though.

I looked at that link you provided. It seems that they were referring to Office for the download. I don't have Office on my NLE system. I used Google's free browser spreadsheet program and a free Chinese word processor to verify that I could view all the characters properly before copying & pasting.
                            • 11. Re: Chinese text
                              Ruud Blauw Level 1
                              >and a free Chinese word processor

How is that word processor called please?
                              • 12. Re: Chinese text
                                Level 1
                                It's called NJStar and it was recommended to me by my local Chinese interpreter.
                                • 13. Re: Chinese text
                                  Level 1
                                  Bill - sorry - I just realized what that link was...not the one you need. I tried searching for what it was I downloaded, but can't seem to find it again. I'll give a look tomorrow if I have some time.

It's not a bug in PPro - at least I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think it's a Windows thing. I can use the Chinese text in the PPro titler - cutting and pasting from a Word file. Although if you can see all the text in Word (or whatever program your pulling the text from), then you may already have it installed.

Check the font your using in the PPro titler. Make sure it's the same font used in your original document. If it's not, that could be the cause. Not all fonts can handle the characters. Did you try the fonts I recommended? If not, try them...hope you get it solved. Trust me - it can be done.
                                  • 14. Re: Chinese text
                                    Ruud Blauw Level 1
                                    Bill,

NJStar may be using its own font, one that can't be used by other applications. You could try the Arphic Chinese fonts, available here . And Twinbridge offers two free fonts here (scroll down to "CHINESE UNICODE TRUETYPE FONTS")
                                    • 15. Re: Chinese text
                                      Level 1
                                      Thanks Ruud. I'll try them in the morning.
                                      Happy New Year, and thanks to all those who responded. When I find the "cure", I'll be sure to post it here.
                                      • 16. Re: Chinese text
                                        Level 1
                                        Bill,

Can you copy and paste from your source documents to Photoshop?

- Aanarav
                                        • 17. Re: Chinese text
                                          Level 1
                                          Just an update. One week has passed, and my only response from Adobe was that they got my bug report. I have tried everything suggested here, and about a half dozen other things. There apparently are some Chinese symbols that PPRo's titler simply won't display, even though just about every other application does. There is no doubt in my mind that the correct fonts are present under Windows.

I shall keep you posted.
                                          • 18. Re: Chinese text
                                            Level 1
                                            Aanarav is on to something - try creating your titles in Photoshop. It's a workaround until you find out what the problem is.
                                            • 19. Re: Chinese text
                                              Level 1
                                              Eric. I just tried the Photoshop method, and I get the same results.
                                              • 20. Re: Chinese text
                                                Level 1
                                                Bill - looking over that link I provided a few posts back, I think you should try that. I know that it says it's for Office, but it also says that it "installs Traditional Chinese language support files for the operating system." I think that's what you need...couldn't hurt to try it and see what happens...
                                                • 21. Re: Chinese text
                                                  We're in Xining, Qinghai Province, China. We have Adobe Premier (version ?) on a Mac Mini/0S X 10.4.10. Does it support Chinese and/or Tibetan languages?