14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2008 10:57 AM by Jeron Coolman

Third Party Capturing Program Quality

ytlevine Level 1
      I was wondering if anyone knows:
      I was interested in capturing in either Sorenson, or Scenalyzer, instead of in Premiere itself. I was wondering if anyone knows about either one, and if the capture quality will be as good as in Premiere.
      Thank You.
        • 1. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
          Level 1
          With DV files, capture is actually just a transfert of the bitstream on the tape to the hard drive. While this involve adding a wrapper and extracting the audio stream for type 2 AVI you have no change in the video stream. So the only worry is dropping frames. Scenalyser will monitor that and warn you of any frames dropped: there should not be any. I have no experience with Sorenson. In other words the video is full quality or zero information, nothing in between.
          • 2. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
            Jeron Coolman Level 1
            If you are capturing HDV, ANY capture program is better than Premiere.
            • 3. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
              ytlevine Level 1
              I am using regular DV.
              Does anyone know if any other program is better, or if there is a program that can put markers in by scene switches (instead of making a new AVI file? And does anyone use Sorenson?
              • 4. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Not AFAIK, and why would you want that? Some do but not me.
                • 5. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                  ytlevine Level 1
                  A while back, I used Pinnacle Studio. It was (obviously) a lot lower level program, but when I would be working with long tapes that had many scenes, like camp videos, it broke the AVI up into different scenes on the one file, with a screenshot for each. To import a bunch (like 100!) of small AVI's won't work for me, so it's either one long AVI, and then I need to go through it to put markers in, unless I find a program that would do it for me.
                  • 6. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    You may have to get used to PP, but nothing is simpler than capturing with scene detection and importing the directory you captured your files to. Each captured clip has it's own icon (header image) and unique name.

Try Scenalyzer or PP's own capture utility.
                    • 7. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                      ytlevine Level 1
                      I've been using Premiere Pro now for a while, and it's still a feature I miss.
                      What you were saying Harm, about when you use scene detection - it will automatically add it to a new bin, or you have to re-import it?
                      Also, can you rename each separate clip?
                      And last - which would you recommend to capture - PP, or Scenalyzer?
                      And could I use PP for editing at the same time as I capture in Scenalyzer?
                      Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        For DV I only use Scenalyzer. In default mode it creates a clip with the name and timestamp of the recording, for instance "Tape'20070811_19.41.40.AVI" showing you the date and time when is was recorded. All those clips can end up in the same (bin or) directory and you can easily just import the whole directory into a bin in your project. You can rename each file (I never do because for me it makes more sense to have the timestamps available). Editing during capture can be done if your system is powerful enough, but I never take chances. I take a cup of coffee during capture or work on another machine at the same time.
                        • 9. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                          ytlevine Level 1
                          When you import it into PP from Scenalyzer, though, doesn't it have to conform the audio? Also, you use scenalyzer as opposed to capturing in PP? And you use the scene detect in Scenalyzer?
                          Last - what's the worst that can happen if you capture in Scenalyzer and edit in PP at the same time - the editing might go slow, but the capturing (I thought) should go fine? And won't it tell you if it drops a frame?
                          On the topic of dropped frames, I had it once, so I tried to recapture, and had it again in the same place, so I didn't worry about it. Was that the right thing to do?
                          • 10. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                            Re: "If you are capturing HDV, ANY capture program is better than Premiere".

Would you mind explaining this comment? That's awfully cryptic. What problems have you found, and what applications are better?

Thanks
                            • 11. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                              creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                              As RG Baker used to say:

Scenealyzer will answer all of your needs.

But unless you have a very fast machine, with a lot of memory, capturing and editing could lead to problems.

Keep Smiling
                              • 12. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                                shooternz Level 6
                                Its not a feature you should miss because its there in Premiere.

Scene detect does exactly what you are asking and it imports the clips directly to the bin of your choice with the prefix of your choice.

Try it.
                                • 13. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  >To import a bunch (like 100!) of small AVI's won't work for me

Why not?
                                  • 14. Re: Third Party Capturing Program Quality
                                    Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                    >Would you mind explaining this comment? That's awfully cryptic. What problems have you found, and what applications are better?

Would you mind doing a little searching on the forums? It shouldn't take much time to find posts discussing the problems with HDV capturing.

The primary problem is the audio and video being out of synch. I've captured over 3 dozen tapes using CS3 and not a single one of them was usable. Either the audio was out of sync or the clips wouldn't sync up using the multi-cam features.

Yet every single one of those tapes captured fine with another program and was edited in Premiere Pro CS3 without the sync problems.

Vegas, HDVSplit, even Premiere Pro 2.0 are examples of better applications. Like I said, ANY application is better than CS3 right now.

Luckily Adobe has reproduced the audio/video sync problem and probably fixing it it...