6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2008 9:03 PM by (Jess_A._Rudolph)

Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos

Semi Newbie.....having converted from Vegas 7.0....
      I have started to work on a video/ photomontage and incorporating video interview and sound. I have put 100 photos (PSD) on the timeline so I can pan and zoom etc. However, I am finding it difficult to keep all the tracks and clip and photos "in order"/lined up everytime I make a change or move of a clip.
      This feels like a pretty tedius process compared to ProShow Gold products I have used, but I cannot find another "powerful" tool that allows intergration with AE and PS and with unlimited tracks etc.

I think my workflow is not efficient...any advice?
      Jess
        • 1. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Jess, see if this tutorial helps.

Cheers
          Eddie

Forum FAQ
          Premiere Pro Wiki
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 100 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          • 2. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
            Level 1
            Eddie,
            Thanks. I look forward to part two!

The other issue is that, with having so many clips on the timeline, is it normal to have a 'delay' for the clips at the end of the timeline to "re-appear" when I make an adjustment at the front end of the project?

I could add each clip one at a time as needed, but then the automatic "transition" won't be there....

Thanks.
            Jess
            • 3. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
              Level 1
              >Semi Newbie.....having converted from Vegas 7.0....

I find this interesting. Not too many people come over from Sony. It's usually the other way around. :)

Tell me... did you switch to Premiere just because of the ability to interact with the other CS3 apps or for PPro, the NLE?

I'm a Premiere user (obviously) but have dabbled in Vegas. I think you're finding that it's missing some nice features that Vegas had - most notably, the ability to adjust global still image length on-the-fly.

>is it normal to have a 'delay' for the clips at the end of the timeline to "re-appear" when I make an adjustment at the front end of the project?

Not sure I understand but it sounds like you're having a "ripple" edit proble. Just use the correct tool to keep the gaps out of subsequent clips.

That's another difference that takes some getting used to. Premiere requires you change different tools quite often for ripple editing whereas Vegas relies on a simple toggle option.
              • 4. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
                Level 1
                I have used Photoshop for so long, but actually got enticed by After Effects since Vegas 7 had no real cool/pro titling effects.
                I was "sold" on all the CS3 Adobe promotions etc....they did a great job of selling me. PPis pretty good, but it does have quirks for sure....Some thing in vegas are much easier, so I had to make a choice.
                I did like Vegas, but the intergration with AE, photoshop is so good, I just bit the bullet and bought the master collection.....

My issue is the ripple edit part....but it might be my workflow.
                I am getting used to it.
                It seems like when I make a change to one track; I always forget that I need to adjust other clips on other tracks....That seems to be a probelm.
                Also, Vegas you can "select" all clips "to the end" and I haven't found that trick yet in PP.

All for now.
                Thanks
                Jess
                • 5. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
                  Level 1
                  >Also, Vegas you can "select" all clips "to the end" and I haven't found that trick yet in PP

The tool is the one shaped like a dotted rectangle containing an arrow pointing to the right when used with the shift key.
                  • 6. Re: Workflow/Editing advice with 100 photos
                    Level 1
                    Pierre,
                    Thanks. Big help.
                    Jess