4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2008 3:30 PM by (bren`)

I can not  get a video in Pr.Pro

Please give me some tips,no I do not have fire wire.I took a dvd "robin hood"
        • 1. Re: I can not  get a video in Pr.Pro
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
          Eddie

Forum FAQ
          Premiere Pro Wiki
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 100 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          • 2. Re: I can not  get a video in Pr.Pro
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read

There are other products better suited to your task... but if you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere likes are DV AVI type 2
            • 3. Re: I can not  get a video in Pr.Pro
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Brenda,

To try and distill, what others have offered:

1.) Premiere Pro is designed to edit material, that you shoot with a video camera, that records to a mini-DV tape. It will edit other material, but not without problems.
              2.) DVDs are for watching, and not editing. You can rip (the term for getting the files on the DVD into another, possibly editable format) the DVD, but, in the case of the two, that you have mentioned, Robin Hood, and Starwars 1, they should be copy-protected, meaning that you cannot rip them. If that is the case, I do not think you will be able to edit the material on the DVDs.
              3.) This forum is made up of people who use Premiere and not people, who work for Adobe. It is not a technical service site. It may take days, or even weeks, for someone to see and read your posts, and then to help you, if they can. Posting several times, will not speed this up, and will only confuse the issues. Changing your login name will not help, and will only confuse the people on the board.

Others have recommended Adobe Premiere Elements. It is a good program, and much easier to use, than Premiere Pro. It will also handle more file formats, meant for watching. However, given that you have DVDs of commercial movies, I do not think that there is a legal way to use it, regardless of your intended use.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: I can not  get a video in Pr.Pro
                Level 1
                I have only Pr Pro,not APE And I want to learn to editor.Someone is getting footage they shot on a d- Camera .I didn't change to confuse,I have one for flash and thought I had to make one for PP.

Thanks