35 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2008 12:34 PM by shooternz

Deleting file on disk from Project panel

ytlevine Level 1
      I was trying to figure out if I have a bunch of clips in a bin in the Project panel, like from a capture with scene detect, and I wanted to delete a file from the project and at the same time delete the actual media file on the hard drive, is there an easy way to do that (w/o having to fo to the location on the hard drive and delete it)?
        • 1. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
          Level 1
          Perhaps when deleting a file right click "reveal in explorer" then delete it there, then in PPRO.

I do not know a way to do it from within PPRO.
          • 2. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
            ytlevine Level 1
            I wonder if there's a way to request this to be added, in addition to "edit in audition"?
            • 3. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I think it would be very bad for Premiere to stretch beyond it's bounds and start acting like a file manager. There's a reason NLEs don't do this by default.
              • 4. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                The easiest thing to do is right click a clip and select "Make Offline", and then select "Media Files are Deleted". Then, you have to trash the master clip (if you want).

I'd personally like to see the feature/ability added to Premiere to eliminate a master clip and its media file in one step, instead of the three-step process it is now. Given that so much of my video production workflow is file-based, I'd like to be able to perform some limited file-based operations within the NLE proper.
                • 5. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                  shooternz Level 6
                  As Colin says.

Works great.

To manage it I create a DELETE column in my project window (boolean). I tick this as I sort and select takes etc I then do a sort on the ticks and then the MAKE OFFLINE process and delete media files from disk
                  • 6. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    I like the "Delete" column idea, Craig--never thought about doing something like that.

'Tis not a day wasted, for I learned something...
                    • 7. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                      Level 1
                      > I think it would be very bad for Premiere to stretch beyond it's bounds and start acting like a file manager. There's a reason NLEs don't do this by default.

I agree.

Some people have weird requests of PPRO that go beyond what is called for.
                      • 8. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        ...and that could very easily start messing things up if implemented.
                        • 9. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                          Phil Griffith Level 2
                          the next thing you'll see here if they do that, is people writing and complaining that they accidentally deleted their video clips and it's adobe's fault. I say make it difficult to delete files. You'll be better off for it.
                          • 10. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Agreed. That's what File Managers are for.
                            • 11. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                              shooternz Level 6
                              The OPs request is hardly "weird" and there is an easy way to do it as pointed out to her/him.

Whats weird in the request to be able to simply manage unwanted files?
                              • 12. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                "That's what File Managers are for."

"The next thing you'll see here if they do that, is people writing and complaining that they accidentally deleted their video clips and it's adobe's fault."
                                • 13. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  You are not giving anyone much credit for intelligence and assuming a lot. The function has been there for sometime and yet I have never read of anyone blaming Adobe for anything in this regard.

The 'Make Offline' option as it exists gives plenty of warning of the consequences of the Delete from Disk option.
                                  • 14. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    Yes, but folks here are calling for an automatic deletion from disk when deleting from a bin. That would be disastrous.
                                    • 15. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      I read the request as an "easier way to delete the media file from the hard file without having to go to the location on the hard drive"

I never understood it as "auto deletion".

The provided solution meets the requirement.

Funny how often people ask for something and never come back to say if their issue has been "resolved" and they let us bang on and on debating amongst ourselves.......
                                      • 16. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        From the OP:

"I have a bunch of clips in a bin and I wanted to delete a file from the project...and at the same time delete the actual media file on the hard drive"

That's just a very baaaaad idea, even as an option that can be turned off. NLEs deleting files from hard drives should, in my opinion, not happen at all. But if it does, it should always be a manual opt in with a warning and a multisetp process, never automatic.
                                        • 17. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                          ytlevine Level 1
                                          The only reason I would want to delete it this way is so I can capture a tape with scene detect and after watching the clips, get rid of those I won't use. I am away from my computer with PP now, but I will try the ideas when I get back. I especially like the idea of creating a column in the project window.
                                          Two more questions:
                                          When I make the clip offline, and tell it to delete the source file, will it delete the instance of the clip in the Project panel, or leave it as an offline file?
                                          Also, the idea to make a "delete" column - how do I make a check box option in that column?
                                          Many thanks to everyone for their help.
                                          • 18. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                                            No, it'll leave an offline clip in the bin. You can always sort these out later and trash them, but if you've got a lot of clips, it can get messy. Hence, the reason I'd like to see an all-in-one "delete media and masterclip" function. I'm not suggesting this replace the normal function of selecting a clip in the bin and hitting Delete or the trash button, but it would be nice if it were a menu/right-click option. It's a function available in other editing software I've used (various levels of Avid and Edius), so I personally don't feel it's out of place.

My two bits...
                                            • 19. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                              ytlevine Level 1
                                              Any info about the "DELETE" column idea?
                                              "Also, the idea to make a "delete" column - how do I make a check box option in that column?"
                                              Thanks!
                                              • 20. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                I dont get it Jim.

The option is already there (and its a right click option, Colin).

Its called 'Make Offline'

It is not compulsory to use it. It has "oops" protection via a warning message. It meets the OPs need.

What more could you ask of it?

If it wasnt there...I would be asking for it and I am sure so would others. I use it at some stage in every production I do.

Project Manager serves other functions and one could also say has the same potential for "oops"

@ ytlevine - you can create and customise additional columns in the Project Window by accessing the little triangle top right of the window. Create one using Boolean and name it "DEL". The boolean allows you to enter a tick.

To answer your other question about the offline file. That is why I use the DEL column to sort then delete from the disk via Make Offline and then they are still selected to delete from the Project window /bin
                                                • 21. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                  Just checked this myself. Here's the steps:

1) In the top-right corner of the Project panel, click the fly-out menu (circle with the right-pointing triangle/arrow). Select "Edit Columns..."

2) In the dialog box that appears, click the "Add" button.

3) Type the name of the column you want to add--in this case, "DELETE" without the quotes--and change the type to Boolean. Hit OK.

4) You'll be back at the Edit Columns dialog, and you can move the column up or down in the stack which corresponds to left or right. When you OK this dialog, the column will be added, with check boxes you can mark. Just click the column title to sort.

Kudos to Craig for this excellent idea!
                                                  • 22. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                    Craig,

Yes, I use the "Make Offline" right-click command all the time, and select the "Media Files are Deleted" radio button. My issue with this--albeit a minor one--is that it in fact leaves offline clips. I guess maybe what I'd like to see in that dialog is a third option: "Media Files and Masterclips are Deleted" so that the dirty work and the housekeeping are done all in one fell swoop.

As I mentioned previously, I came from Avid and Edius, and both NLEs had the ability to delete media files, masterclips/references, or both from one quick dialog. The lack of this at present is hardly a deal-breaker for me--just a slight workflow modification. I think that for the time being, your solution (DELETE column) is an excellent one, and I'm going to start implementing that immediately.

Cheers!
                                                    • 23. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                      shooternz Level 6
                                                      Just for the record.

One of the fabulous and my most favourite features of Premiere (as compared to something like FCP) is the ability to quickly preview clips directly in the Project Window viewer. While the viewer is playing the clip, I log enter data and notes and the DELETE ticks. It is so fast and efficient and I usually use a CTRL-C / CTRL-V routine to copy and paste common info across clips.

FCP can not get anywhere near doing this trick.
                                                      • 24. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                        Yeah, it's kind of like a mini built-in version of Bridge that actually works worth a hoot... :D
                                                        • 25. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                          >The option is already there. Its called 'Make Offline' It is not compulsory to use it. It has "oops" protection via a warning message.

But that's not what was being asked for. What is being asked for is to select a clip in a bin and hit the Delete key, which would then delete the clip from the bin and the media from the hard drive in a single stroke. That is a feature I feel would cause many more problems than it solves.

If one wants to delete from hard disk unused clips after editing, that is precisely what the Project Manager is for. If one wants to preview and delete unwanted clips before editing, that is precisely what Bridge is for.
                                                          • 26. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                            shooternz Level 6
                                                            F.F.S

NO one asked for this to happen in "one step".

Show me where the OP said that?. The Delete Key is not even mentioned.

The OP clearly asked for an easy way to achieve it "(w/o having to fo to the location on the hard drive and delete it)"

Quote: "If one wants to preview and delete unwanted clips before editing, that is precisely what Bridge is for."

IMHO : Bridge is a Media Filing System and a very slow and cumbersome one at that and are you are telling us that you open Bridge to do what you can do in Premiere simply and quickly. (You must be paid by the hour).

So Jim, what in your opinion is the 'Make Offline' and Delete from Disk option for then? Should we not use it because we can not be trusted with its power.(You seem so against it you shold get a UN-Feature Request promptly to Adobe)
                                                            • 27. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                              ytlevine Level 1
                                                              Thanks, Craig, for the idea and the steps! Should speed things up!
                                                              By the way, is everybody capturing in Premiere, or does anyone use Scenalyzer (or some other program)? Any recommendations?
                                                              Thanks!
                                                              • 28. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                Scenalyzer for all SD projects for me.
                                                                • 29. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                  ytlevine Level 1
                                                                  Did you ever use it while editing in Premiere?
                                                                  Anybody else?
                                                                  • 30. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                    shooternz Level 6
                                                                    Premiere capture with Scene Detect for any Tape shot SD projects . Less and less of an ocurence for me these days.

Never ever found the need for SceneAlyser even though I bought it to play with a long time back.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                      >NO one asked for this to happen in "one step".

Dude, it's in the original question.

"I wanted to delete a file from the project and at the same time delete the actual media file on the hard drive".

That, I maintain, would be a very bad thing for Premiere to be able to do.

>Bridge is a Media Filing System

Duh! Why do you think I suggested using it for media sorting before editing. That is one of it's intended purposes, an asset manager. As to it being slow and cumbersome, that may be a local problem. My Bridge CS3 works fine. I use it before every project to manage my assets, including renaming, moving and deleting clips. It really is a very workable media organizer.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                        Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                                        Why are regulars getting testy with each other? We're all here for a common cause, let's work together for a more positive environment. ;)
                                                                        • 33. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                          ytlevine Level 1
                                                                          Jim, I didn't mean to have the default delete do that - I meant for there to be an option, in additional to the regular clear/backspace. I think this should work for me, the "Make Offline" and then delete, though it would be easier if I could do it in one step, w/o having to go back and delete the now offline file.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                                            New FR:

Under Edit>Delete in the menu list, we can now have Edit>Nuke. (I "borrowed" that term from XYplorer) :)
                                                                            • 35. Re: Deleting file on disk from Project panel
                                                                              shooternz Level 6
                                                                              @Jim: I guess the OP has now told you what he meant. (Bad Parsing on your part).

"Jim, I didn't mean to have the default delete do that - I meant for there to be an option, in additional to the regular clear/backspace":

To give an example how convenient the 'Make Offline" function is for me: I often shoot more than ten takes of the same scene. As the Director and the Editor I need to select the best take(s) and eliminate the crap. There is no better tme to delete the out takes than during the sift and sort process. If I went to another application like Bridge - I would never get around to it and consequrently end with very bloated HDs.

Thats why Adobe put it there. To make my life easier and more efficient. I object to you telling me that I am doing this the wrong way and I should do it your way.