8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2007 3:22 AM by (diegooriani)

Cropping

Caution: This is very much a newbie question.

For the project I'm working on now (my first ever project with Premiere), the bulk of my footage is 16:9, but there are parts that are 4:3. They will end up interspersed with each other, so I'm trying to avoid the jarring effect of having the final movie bounce back and forth between different picture sizes.

What is the best way to get them to match? I'm willing to slice off some of the top and bottom of the picture in the 4:3 sections (in effect reducing the 3 to 2.25 to get it in the same dimensions as the 16:9). Then I guess the resulting cropped picture would have to be expanded to fill the same portion of the screen as the 16:9 footage, meaning some loss of quality, though hopefully nothing too noticeable.

Is that the best approach to use? If so, how do I do those two steps--crop and expand? I looked up "crop" in the Help section and found only two references. One had to do with cropping with a different software and then pasting it back into Premiere. The other had to do with cropping a whole project in the exporting stage.

Does Premiere really not have a simple crop tool of some sort? My old editing software that cost 10% as much as Premiere certainly had that, so I assume I'm overlooking it or it goes by some other name.
        • 1. Re: Cropping
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          You should be able to simply Scale the 4:3 clips, making them larger until they fill the screen left to right. The tops and bottoms will naturally get cut off. No need for a separate Crop process.

You can then adjust them vertically to tweak the framing.
          • 2. Re: Cropping
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find links to many free tutorials in the Premiere Pro Wiki that will quickly show you how things are done in PPro.

Cheers
            Eddie

Forum FAQ
            Premiere Pro Wiki
            - Over 250 frequently answered questions
            - Over 100 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            • 3. Re: Cropping
              Level 1
              Thanks. Scaling is indeed equivalent to cropping, at least for my present purposes. So that worked nicely.

I'm not thrilled with losing material on the top and bottom, and there is a slight drop in quality, but I think this was the least of the available evils. Unless there's some other option I'm not aware of for fitting 4:3 footage in a project that's almost all 16:9 footage.
              • 4. Re: Cropping
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Switching between 16:9 and 4:3 is not necessarily jarring, depending on how you do it. I see a lot of it on TV at the moment because we're in a transition phase.

Try the 4:3 footage unscaled in the 16:9 project and see how you feel about the appearance. Remember, you don't have to use black for the pillar boxes. You can choose another color or even a subtle motion background. Depending on the content you could even put the 4:3 footage entirely to one side and show some textual information on the other side.

There are many options but you will have to try them to see which you prefer in the end.

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                Premiere Pro Wiki
                - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                - Over 100 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                • 5. Re: Cropping
                  I was trying to get a wide screen effect on some 4:3 last night.
                  My set up has a black frame around the actual picture as well so any sort of enlarging the screen size wouldn't work.
                  I got around it by importing two black screens and adding them on their own time lines. I selected each black frame and just moved one up, the other down off screen to block out and give it a wide screen look.
                  My son's friend was doing some editing a few months ago in my Prem pro2 version and I watched him cropping to a wide screen look, I thought he just dragged the frame up and down... but in CS3 the screen frame moves in proportion when scaling.
                  I'll have to ask him how he did it.
                  • 6. Re: Cropping
                    Level 1
                    Hey,
                    Just found it.
                    Go to effects, video effects/ transform / crop. double click the crop effect to bring it to the effects panel, open the twirly triangle and there you have it crop, left, top, right, bottom.
                    • 7. Re: Cropping
                      Level 1
                      sorry don't double click effect, you click and drag effect onto clip.
                      • 8. Re: Cropping
                        That's nice. I'll try this tonight!

Cheers for the tip.