4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2008 5:34 AM by David Cherniack

Export Markers to CSV - limitations of Clip Notes

David Cherniack
      One of the problems with Clip Notes is that it only works well for first generation notes. Adding responses is an exercise in patience that is certainly beyond me. And that's the polite way of expressing it!

Until someone at Adobe revises the functionality in Acrobat to make responding less an exercise in window scrolling and more just about entering text in the fastest way possible and printing it out, it would be far easier if one could just respond on the timeline marker level and then export all notes to a tab delimited text file. There have been hints here about a plug in to do it but they've only been hints. Can anyone point me to the right person or place? Please?

David
        • 1. Re: Export Markers to CSV - limitations of Clip Notes
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          My own interpretation of the intended use for the feature is basically one way notes. You make the Clip Notes copy for client review. You import the markers created by their notes. You fix the issues and delete the markers. You might then make another Clip Notes version to review the changes, but this would not include your notes back to the client. Is that what you're trying to do?

That level of back and forth does seem beyond the intentions of the feature.
          • 2. Re: Export Markers to CSV - limitations of Clip Notes
            David Cherniack Level 1
            Yes, one valuable use of clip notes would be to send responses back and forth to the lawyers for E&O (Errors and Omissions) Insurance. For those who don't do productions for TV networks in North America this insurance is demanded by nearly all broadcasters. For productions with a lot of archival and stills material the interchange with the lawyers is frequently multi-cycle. Clips Notes would be perfect for this but right now is such a pain to use it's mind boggling.
            • 3. Re: Export Markers to CSV - limitations of Clip Notes
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              That kind of back and forth may need to be a Feature Request for future versions. Right now Clip Notes does seem to be designed primarily for forth, but not back again.
              • 4. Re: Export Markers to CSV - limitations of Clip Notes
                David Cherniack Level 1
                Well, this is a constant problem I see everywhere in Adobe UI design. Everything seems to be initially conceived for the lowest common denominator of use. There are only two reasons I can see for this - someone in charge thinks that it's cheaper and/or the designers don't actually use the software except in a cursory way. The first reason is just plain dumb because fixing the stuff afterward is far more expensive than doing it right the first time. I mean look at Premiere Pro. The awful design choices in 1.0 are still being fixed and will continue to be for the next two to three versions, if ever.

To be fair, no software is initially created 'perfect'. It's just that of all companies whose products I've used over the last 25 years, I think Adobe typically fairs the worst out the gate. They're trying to change that now, with user consultation much earlier in the design process but I still see that same old mind set at work.