25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 12:08 PM by Jeron Coolman

CS3 output to BlueRay

I currently use PPro 1.5 and was thinking of upgrading to CS3. I read that CS3 can output to BlueRay. I'm guessing I will need a special burner for BlueRay?? Any suggestions/reccomendations on BlueRay burners? Any clue if Adobe will also offer up export to HD-DVD?

Thanks,
      Kenn
        • 1. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
          Yes, you need a Blu-Ray burner for Outputting to Blu-Ray. I know Pioneer and Plextor each make BD-R drives. Right now I do not know of any HD-DVD burners available. Also, due to the latest developments in the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format war, I doubt HD-DVD support will be in the future as it seems to be a format on its death bed. But you never know.
          • 2. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
            Level 1
            >I doubt HD-DVD support will be in the future as it seems to be a format on its death bed. But you never know.

Toshiba's reaction to Warner Bros backing Blu-Ray has resulted in slashing HD-DVD Player cost by half so I wouldn't write HD off just yet. But the writing's on the wall I suppose.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35586/97/
            • 3. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              A cheap player with no movies does little good.
              • 4. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                Level 1
                Jim Simon is right but let's end this format war discussion before it gets out of control.
                • 5. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4
                  I noticed that the HD-DVD player prices had halved, but my suspicion is that stores are cutting their losses and trying to get rid of them before people realise they are (will be?) useless.

Cheers
                  Eddie
                  • 6. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                    Level 1
                    >my suspicion is that stores are cutting their losses and trying to get rid of them before people realise they are (will be?) useless.

You can just imagine that somewhere in the upper floors of Sony's corporate headquarters there's some old exec sitting in a dark, cavernous room, watching all this unfold, rubbing his hands and cackling with glee before shouting "VHS THIS YOU B*ST*RDS!"
                    :-p
                    • 7. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      And we consumers get to cackle right along side him.
                      • 8. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                        Level 1
                        > I noticed that the HD-DVD player prices had halved, but my suspicion is that stores are cutting their losses and trying to get rid of them before people realise they are (will be?) useless.

Makes sense but I'm under the impression this is a Toshiba strategy and not so much the retailers. The HD-DVD backers have too much invested in this and I wouldn't expect them to roll over and die only a week after Warner Bros backed BR.

But it could be just a last gasp effort to be sure. Who really cares? Just pick one already damn it!
                        • 9. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                          I might just buy a Play Station 3 and be done with it.

Anyway, back to the original question about Premiere CS3 and exporting to BluRay. I guess Adobe has already picked sides!!
                          • 10. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >Just pick one already damn it!

Don't "just pick one". Pick the better one - Blu-ray!
                            • 11. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                              Level 1
                              Why pick either? In a network distributed world does it make any sense to continue long term with the drawbacks inherent in physical media for digital content?
                              • 12. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                Level 1
                                I wonder if there are any restrictions with respect to OS when it comes to practical use of BR burners ? Will XP be sufficient or maybe the drivers are genuine for Vista ?
                                Anyone here able to shed some light on this ?
                                • 13. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                  (XP, SP2). I bought a Sony BVU200S Blu Ray burner. Encore CS3 sees it fine for regular DVD's but does not see it for burning Blu-Rays.

No worries though. I make a Blu-Ray image file with Encore and burn the Blu-Ray with Ashampoo. The Blu-Rays play great on my Panasonic DMP-BD30 player (menus and all).
                                  • 14. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    King,

Not all things are networked. Having a physical medium that can be transported and played in your living room, bedroom, friend's house, car or portable will have great value for quite some time to come. I know Microsoft sees the world as one big digital pipeline, but I still prefer to keep my media purchases and viewing habits private.

And since we still have need of physical media, why not pick the best available format when given a choice? That means Blu-ray!
                                    • 15. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                      Level 1
                                      >Why pick either? In a network distributed world does it make any sense to continue long term with the drawbacks inherent in physical media for digital content?

The world just ain't ready for that. We'll always get whatever gets shoved down our throats regardless of anything new (or better) on the horizon. That's capitalism :)

And as an aside... I think the new version of Nero can burn up 20 minutes of HDV onto single sided DVD+R media (I think). Heard good and bad about it though.
                                      • 16. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                        Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                        I have the cheapest HD-DVD player Toshiba makes and the best Blu-Ray player Sony makes. Both have the latest firmware installed.

Over half of my Blu-Ray discs take 5-10 minutes to load, where all of the HD-DVD discs load fairly quickly.

As far as the "viewing experience" both are the same.

I hope Sony fixes the firmware soon because waiting 5-10 minutes for the disc to load is ridiculous...
                                        • 17. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          That's what happens when you add computers to consumer electronics devices.

My cousin got the newest Samsung Blu-ray player. Disks load in about ten seconds. Long ones may take up to twenty seconds.
                                          • 18. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                            Level 1
                                            I still hold that in the long term it's a flawed strategy. Sure, it's cool to hang out for the latest gadget and there will be sales based on that, but it's hardly likely to be the kind of revolution we saw with video tape recorders or DVD players.

It will be a cash flow for a while, but don't expect to make millions dedicating yourselves to Blu-Ray customers.
                                            • 19. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              Disney will.
                                              • 20. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                mickkeay Level 1
                                                >Over half of my Blu-Ray discs take 5-10 minutes to load, where all of the HD-DVD discs load fairly quickly.

The player has to contact your pc and check for any unrelated unlicensed or DRM bypass software. Then your fridge to check for any past 'best by' dates and finally your wardrobe upstairs (you may have anti sony T shirts)
                                                • 21. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                  >The player has to contact your pc and check for any unrelated unlicensed or DRM bypass software. Then your fridge to check for any past 'best by' dates and finally your wardrobe upstairs (you may have anti sony T shirts)

So true! And here I thought when "Big Brother" finally showed up, it would be the government! :)

<Sidebar for conspiracy theorists: Maybe Sony *is* the government!>

-Jeff
                                                  • 22. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    In a way, that's not too far off, Jeff. America has become the lone superpower not on the basis of changing administrative personnel every four or eight years. That's just a huge flaw in our current system of government. Rather, we've been successful on the continued strength of our corporations. Granted, Sony is a Japanese company, but the likes of Microsoft, IBM, Coke/Pepsi, various Hollywood enterprises and others throughout our 200+ year history are the real reason for our success.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                      Add corporations to our vast natural resources, and you get the real reason. If we had not had the resources to make iron / steel / aluminum, etc, we would not have done as well. Add some serious oil fields to bring us through much of the 20th Century, and you get the picture.
                                                      • 24. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                        mickkeay Level 1
                                                        >throughout our 200+ year history are the real reason for our success.

Watch out though Jim. I am from England and we used to be a superpower - invading everyone and all that.... Now we just make cups of tea, jam and crap movies :-)
                                                        • 25. Re: CS3 output to BlueRay
                                                          Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                          >The player has to contact your pc and check for any unrelated unlicensed or DRM bypass software.

So that explains why the microwave automatically fires off the "Create Popcorn" button every time I put a Blu-Ray disc in my player...