7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2008 2:30 PM by (Sean_Dillon)

Make a storyboard?

I deal with projects using 50 - 150 photos to make a photo story for people's birthday's, anniversaries, etc.. I used to see a "storyboard" feature in a previous version of Premiere whereby I could drag and drop the photos into a storyboard order graphically, seeing each photo as a thumbnail. Really cool. Then that feature went away in newer versions of Premiere. I just switched to CS3 Premiere Pro on Windows. Wondering how you folks manage a project with over 100 pictures. How do you easily create an "ordered list" of the pictures and then import using the default transition automatically??? I've been dealing with having to order the photos myself by renumbering them, 1, 2, 3 etc. in Explorer then importing, then choosing the photo's from 1 - 150 in that order, then choosing to "Automate to Sequence" which is O.K. but a bummer that I have to rename all those pix in the first place.
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Dave N
        • 1. Re: Make a storyboard?
          TradeWind Level 3
          Search the help files for PPro for the term "storyboard" and you should find what you need.
          • 2. Re: Make a storyboard?
            creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
            Pictures and no video? Try Imaginate.

Keep Smiling
            • 3. Re: Make a storyboard?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >How do you easily create an "ordered list" of the pictures and then import

I always leave that task to my clients, having them sort the pictures and write the order number on the back before they send them to me.
              • 4. Re: Make a storyboard?
                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                I've never used storyboards in previous versions, but according to the help all of those features are there in CS3 from the Project panel.

From the help...

"Note: In earlier versions of Adobe Premiere, storyboards were stored in files independent of project files. Adobe Premiere Pro contains all storyboard features within the Project panel, but, on Windows only, you can import storyboard files created in earlier versions by choosing File > Import."
                • 5. Re: Make a storyboard?
                  TradeWind Level 3
                  Yeah, it's usually better to have the client arrange their photographs (especially if chronology is important, since a 2 year old Juan looks the same to you as a 4 year old Juan in many cases).

But...too late now. Most clients, after paying a deposit, don't like changing the terms of the agreement. Good luck!
                  • 6. Re: Make a storyboard?
                    Level 1
                    I gave up using Premiere for multiple stills. It just isn't suited for it. I used to use the project panel and sort things around there but for me, the thumbnails don't refresh fast enough and the images are never cached anywhere to speed this up.

I know you're looking to use PPro for this (and it still can be) but I'd really suggest saving some headaches.

I use Proshow Producer now:

http://www.photodex.com/products/producer/

It's kind of pricey but it's worth it if you do a lot of this stuff.
                    • 7. Re: Make a storyboard?
                      Level 1
                      Have you thought about ordering the files by numbering a field other than the filename? You can then sort on this field by clicking on the column header.