20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2008 5:40 PM by Jim_Simon

how to adress scratch disks

Hello,
      I really need your toughts on this:

I have 2x74GB raptors and 1 500GB WD hard disks, and dont know how to configure for premiere.What would be best?

1)
      raptor 1 - Os
      raptor 2 - Capture and Preview files
      WD - Storage and Media Files

2)
      Raid 0 2x Raptor with partition (50+100=150GB) (ÕS+Capture/Previe Files)
      WD - Storage and Media Files

Any ideas? Feel free to add any other configurations

Thx in advance,

Ed
        • 1. Re: how to adress scratch disks
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          raptor 1 - Os
          raptor 2 - Projects and often used media (like logos and intros)
          WD - Capture Storage and Media Files

The second Raptor is probably too small to also use it for preview files for too long, so think about replacing the second drive with something larger.
          • 2. Re: how to adress scratch disks
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I agree with Steven.
            • 3. Re: how to adress scratch disks
              Level 1
              thx Steven and Jim, great advice!

would be better if i replace my raptor 2 by a set of raid 0 2xseagate single Plate 250 GB? because i already order with 2 raptors but i might change it! Then would be:

raptor 1 74GB - OS
              raid 0 2xSG 250GB SP - Projects, media files and Previews
              WD Capture Storage

What do you guys think?
              • 4. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I would go for raid0 with 2x500 disks since they are so cheap today.
                • 5. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                  Level 1
                  I already have the WD 500 sata2 and order the 2 raptors, but i may be able to change that, so what would be the best solution for premiere?
                  • 6. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    If you're gonna go with any kind of RAID0, use that disk for media and scratch, not project files.
                    • 7. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                      Level 1
                      Once again thx,

I`m buying a new tower with a short budget, and since already have a wd 500 gb, taught by ordering 2 raptors set in raid 0 would be the best choice to optmize to premiere? Aparently that doesnt seem so, So what should i buy? I would apreciate a quick anwser cause i will soon get my new tower.
                      • 8. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                        Level 1
                        For example instead of 2x raptors i could get 4x 250 GB single plate and set them in raid 0 , 5 for the same price...

advantages 4x 250 GB single plate

Faster
                        More Space

Disavantages

More heat
                        More Power Consumption
                        • 9. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Get the 4 Seagates. Use one for System drive. One for projects, scratch and exports, and 2 in a RAID0 for media. If you can afford a fifth, use that for exports instead of the second drive.
                          • 10. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                            Level 1
                            you mean scratch as previews, and media as sounds, logos, capture footage?
                            • 11. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Pretty much. Except for the RAID 0, only put on it things you can afford to lose, like captured clips. If a drive fails, you can always recapture. That may not always be so for logos and audio files, so put them on the project drive.
                              • 12. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                I use my 10K rpm drive for programs. I use my RAID0 for captured clips only, and then I have an additional drive for projects and previews/cache.
                                • 13. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                  Level 1
                                  Thx for the feedback,

You were a great help!
                                  • 14. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                    kerr vaughn Level 1
                                    If take you take a fairly large project with a couple of AVI files in the 4-6Gb range,and a 100 or so JPG around the 2-4m size, what is using the most disk intensive hits? Is it the scratch disk for previews? Is it where your source files are (AVI and JPG), etc.

I'm still wresting with this issue conceptually. Many recommendations but I'm interested in where is the most disk activity.
                                    • 15. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                      I was been using 2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 for my C: system drive and 2 x WD 250GB in RAID 0 for over two years. It works nicely.

I have Premiere install on the C: drive and all of my scratch disks set for the 2 x 250GB RAID 0.
                                      • 16. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                        kerr vaughn Level 1
                                        I have a 150 raptor has OS, and 2x500 in raid0 for scratch. I don't have my media (avi and jpg) on a separate drive yet.

I'm still curious to what gets the most hit.
                                        • 17. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                          Level 1
                                          If you have ever watched any of the Total Training for Premiere Pro videos, you will see that it is recommended to have two or more hard drives drives.

For a two drive system:
                                          1st - Applications/Premiere installed here.
                                          2nd - Scratch disk (located "edit" -> "preferences" -> "Scratch Disk") for everything (captured audio, captured video, video preview, audio preview, media cache, DVD encoding).

For a three drive system:
                                          1st - Premiere
                                          2nd - Captured Video, Video Preview, DVD encoding
                                          3rd - Captured Audio, Audio Preview, Media Cache

You can also have a 7 drive system separating everything, but that would be overkill. The three drive system would be ideal.

What gets hit? It depends on what you are doing, but in general they can all be "hit" at the same time. For example, if you are using the 3 drive system described above and if you are capturing audio/video from a camcorder, then the system drive is running premiere, and video is going to the 2nd hard drive and audio is going to the 3rd hard drive all at the same time.
                                          • 18. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                            kerr vaughn Level 1
                                            I've never had problems capturing, and encoding doesn't bother me. It's the rendering process with this latest version that is so resource intensive. I'm now with a 2.4 quad and it's still slower then PPR 1.5 was.

My captured audio is not separate from my captured video (AVI). So, would you still need to separate your video and audio scratch?

My best guess:

disk 1: premiere/OS (raptor)
                                            disk 2: scratch for everything (raid 0)
                                            disk 3: captured Video/Audio files and stills

?
                                            • 19. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                              Level 1
                                              errrm, yeah...you are right. It's been awhile since I had a 3 drive system.

I currently am quite happy with my two drive system which is set up as I described in post #17. Actually I have a third drive in an external eSATA enclosure to use as storage for final projects.

If you are capturing audio and video together in an AVI (I guess most people would be doing it that way with a camcorder). Then the AVI would go to the Captured Video folder even though it also contains audio. I honestly don't know that having the third hard drive would help you that much.

If anything, it might be best to stick with a 2 disk system, but expand your RAID 0 to include another drive or two. You could set up that RAID 0 to use 3 or 4 hard drives instead of just 2. I don't know if it will give you much more of a performance benefit or not. In theory it should. Many people turn up their nose to multiple drive in RAID 0, but I don't see the problem as long as it is your "work" drive. After the project is complete just move it to a standard hard drive for long term storage and safe keeping.
                                              • 20. Re: how to adress scratch disks
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                In most cases, previews will use the same computer resources as the original media, as they're simply new versions of the same format. There should be no performance difference between watching a rendered preview and the original.