24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 10:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5

I see elsewhere that Premiere Elements cannot import project file from Premiere 6.5 and wondered if CS£ would. It would get me out of a hole if it could.
        • 1. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
          akribie Level 2
          I've just tried with one of my old 6.5 projects, and it opened OK in CS3. However, it complained about a setting and opened in 'desktop editing mode', which is not explained by the Help files. But I suspect that it would prevent DV output from the timeline and would force use of export instead.

I repeated the exercise by starting a new DV project and importing the .ppj. That seemed to work just fine.

I understand that some effects and transitions have not been carried forward, so it is likely that some tidying up might be necessary for complex P6 projects.
          • 2. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
            I burned my raw DV clips, title graphics and audio to DVD's along with the project file itself.

I mailed these DVD's to my editors.

My editors recieve teh DVD's and open the project file on their end and it shows no timeline or timeline information.

All the dv clips are there, it gives no errors that anything is missing, and the "size" of the project file itself matches the one in my studio (that does have the tiemline with all my edits) - yet it opens on their end with no timeline information.

What are we missing?

Project was built on Adobe Premiere Pro... they are trying to open in CS3.

Thanks in advance.
            • 3. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
              Level 1
              Thanks David J. The project I'M concerned with are recent and have few transitions etc and none of the exotic kind. Have a trial copy and did not want to install it without a hope.
              • 4. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                (C._David_Young) Level 1
                You might try exporting the project from 6.5 in one of the standard formats and importing that into CS3. I have never done it but it might be worth a try.
                • 5. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                  I have tried to open a really old file that was perhaps created in PC's version of Premiere 6in Premiere Pro CS3 and have tried to imported it as well. However, it has given me the error message: This project was saved in a version prior to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and cannot be opened on a Mac. Please refer to the User Guide for import options. Could you please tell me how to solve this problem? I really need to open this file. I would be so grateful. Thank you so much! =)
                  • 6. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Mac versions of Premiere Pro won't open earlier versions of PC Premiere projects. Best you can do is open the old file on a PC version of CS3, and then the project will open on a Mac version of CS3.
                    • 7. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                      toadstool100 Level 1

From my experience Premiere Pro will only open files generated in the same version of software.  This is why I am on the hunt for a CS2 version of the software.

• 8. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3 will open projects from previous versions.

Best is to import the old project into the new project (instead of opening)

Double click on the corresponding sequence (its in the imported folder) in the project window to get started.

• 9. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In general terms, older versions of Pr's Projects will Open fine in later versions of PrPro. The one possible hangup, is the one that Colin mentioned. Pr was ported for the Mac and PC through Pr 6.5. It was not available for the Mac again, until CS3. That created a hole in the normal ability to Open older into newer - it was platform specific during that period.

I've Opened Pr 6.5 Mac Projects on the PC in PrPro 2.0. Only a couple of 3rd party Transitions did not come in, but PrPro even pointed me to the exact location of these, and I just replaced those with Transitions that I had - neat.

I've Opened PrPro 2.0 of PC Projects in CS3 PC, and Saved them for Mac users to use. That has filled that gap for them. CS3 Mac cannot Open PrPro Projects from that post Pr 6.5, until CS3 time. They are lost to Mac's, unless someone with CS3/CS4 PC will Open, then Save for them. I was glad to do this. The only limitation of doing so was that unless I had all of the Media Assets available and on the same drive letter as the original Project had, when I did the Save, the Media would show up as Offline. However, when they got the CS3 PC Project, all they had to do was re-Link their Media Assets. The Ctrl-m key helps with a bunch of this, or one can just go through the Project panel and manually re-Link. Now, if I could have done a Save, without the Media needing to be Offline, PrPro would have semi-automatically re-Linked the Assets. Now, it would be by hand.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

To date, I have not had an issue with Open, but Import is another possibility. Just remember to twirl open the Bins and Dbl-click the Timelines in Project Panel if you do Import one Project into another.

With regards to PrPro 2.0 Projects - they MUST be Opened on a CS3, or CS4 PC machine first. They cannot be opened on a CS3, or CS4 Mac machine yet. From the CS3, or CS4 PC, they will Open, or Import fine (except for missing 3rd party Transitions and Effects). Once Saved on the CS3, or CS4 PC, they can then be Opened perfectly (remember that 3rd party stuff) on a CS3, or CS4 Mac. It's the same for any versions' Project files between Pr 6.5 and CS3. All are PC-only and MUST be Opened on a CS3, or CS4 PC machine. Until that happens, and the Project is Saved, a Mac cannot touch them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that I missed this thread first time around, and only just now noticed it. In Nick's (the OP) case, I think that Colin helped him with his problem.

As Nick, the OP, found PrElements will NOT Open a PrPro Project. As PE does not allow Import of a Project into another Project, that avenue is out. If one attempts to Open a PrPro Project in PE, they'll get an error message, along the lines of "Fool, this is a PrPro Project. You cannot Open it in PE. You must get PrPro. Fool." OK, maybe not that harsh, but close. Now, with some exceptions, PrPro WILL Open PE Projects. The biggest exceptions will be if Themes or Instant Movie were used. These do fritz up the works quite a bit. Still, a straight PE Project (PREL) will Open in PrPro fine, so long as the general versions of each program are close, or the PrPro version is newer.

As Colin points out, the only problem with going from an older version of a Project to a newer version of a Project is that "hole" that exists, because Pr was not ported for the Mac. This was from PrPro 1.0 (called 7.0 in some circles), PrPro 1.5 and PrPro 2.0. During that time, all Pr Projects were PC-only. Mac's, regardless of whether they are running CS3 (first version to be dual-platform, since Pr 6.5) or CS4. No Open, no Import.

The "trick" is to find a PC-user, who has at least CS3, or CS4, and have them Open the PrPro 1.0 through 2.0 Project. Once "converted" and Saved, then the Mac-user can Open it, provided that they have the same version of PrPro, or a later one. If the Mac-user has CS3, and the PC-user has CS4, this Open/Save will not work. If the PC-user has CS3 and the Mac-user CS4, it will work. This situation often shows Mac-users that PC-users are not such bad people after all, and that they'll usually put platform differences behind to help a fellow PrPro-user.

Above, I've outlined the steps and have also added some warnings, such as 3rd party hardware (like Matrox), Effects and Transitions. Heed those warnings carefully.

This will not help Nick now, but might help someone in the future. Remember, if you're on a Mac, and the Project was created in that time from PrPro 1.0 - 2.0, you WILL need a PC-friend to help you, and you will need to insure that your version of PrPro is at least equal to, or newer than, the PC-user's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                toadstool100 Level 1

I own a Macintosh CS3 version and the problem is I need to be able to work

independently and constantly converse with a PC CS2 version of the

software.  I don't have a PC friend who can convert my files every night.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                  toadstool100 Level 1

The CS2 files are generated from a PC.  The CS3 application that I own is on

the Macintosh.  I think I did try to import the files, but I will check.

However, that is only half the problem.  I also need to open my CS3

generated files in a CS2 PC environment.

• 14. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

toadstool100 wrote:

The CS2 files are generated from a PC.  The CS3 application that I own is on

the Macintosh.  I think I did try to import the files, but I will check.

However, that is only half the problem.  I also need to open my CS3

generated files in a CS2 PC environment.

What you are proposing is impossible.  Even if you upgrade all computers to the same software versions, you may still have issues with media location, file sizes, and cache files when you move back and forth between platforms.

But you don't have any chance at all until you upgrade all of the software on both platforms.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                      toadstool100 Level 1

In my case upgrading won't help.

I need to communicate with a CS2 version of the software on a day-to-day basis.  The institution I communicate with, has multiple licences, and it simply costs too much for them to upgrade constantly.  This is a common problem with any large institution, many large offices also use software much older than current.  If the software works there isn't any need to upgrade. Adobe have complicated the issue by restricting usage to one version.  They don't do that with other applications.  I would imagine if they did that with Photoshop, there would be an outcry.

Because of the limitations imposed by Adobe, I need to have a CS2 version of the software as well.  The problem is I can't buy it. I don't need an upgrade.  I need a downgrade.  I don't care which platform, I own both.  While I prefer to operate on a Macintosh, I can see the benefits of obtaining a PC version (again because of a restriction imposed by Adobe).  Adobe could easily resolve this issue by selling me an old version.  Their excuse is that they won't service it.  Given I've not had much assistance from them with later versions of software, I can't see the problem.  So thanks for the suggestion, but in my case it doesn't help.

I think Adobe have lost the plot and don't seem interested in assisting users any more.

• 16. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

See if your institution will sell you a license to one of their Premiere Pro 2.0 seats.  I think there is a requirement for the seller to guarantee to Adobe that the sold copy will no longer be used, but once satisfied, Adobe should transfer the license and activations.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I also need to open my CS3 generated files in a CS2 PC environment.

That is never going to work. The backward compatibility is virtually zero - actually, it's zero.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            I need to communicate with a CS2 version of the software on a day-to-day basis.

In this case, you have two options:

Convert all PrPro 2 (and Pr 6.5) Projects to your CS3, and use those.

Create a PrPro computer on PC, and work on the PrPro 2 (and Pr 6.5) Projects there. If it has CS3, or CS4, it can open those PC files. Once you move any to CS3, or CS4, however, you can never go back again. They will be either CS3, or CS4 Projects and will never open in PrPro 2 (Mac, or PC) again. Because there was no PrPro 1, 1.5 or 2.0 for the Mac, these must be opened on a PC. No way around that. This will mean that you will be your own "PC friend."

I don't need an upgrade.  I need a downgrade.  I don't care which platform, I own both.

Did you check out the link that John T. Smith gave on older software? Does that work for you? This will ONLY be for the PC, as CS3 was the first, after Pr 6.5, to be ported for the Mac.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe does make it easy to transfer a license. So long as it is a legit-copy, and has NEVER been used in an upgrade path, it's a matter of a few FAX'es, and the license is transferred legally and completely. As stated earlier, this will be a PC-only license. Also, it can coexist on a PC running CS3, and/or CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe could easily resolve this issue by selling me an old version.  Their excuse is that they won't service it.  Given I've not had much assistance from them with later versions of software, I can't see the problem.  So thanks for the suggestion, but in my case it doesn't help.

I think Adobe have lost the plot and don't seem interested in assisting users any more.

Remember, you are talking about software that is now three versions back. The sale of such is not usually in the domain of any software company. I doubt that there are many, if any, major software companies that can sell you a copy of software that old.

However, that is where the company that John T. Smith linked to might be of help. I would check that one out closely and quickly, as all you'll need will be a PC to install it onto.

As for Adobe assisting users, I just do not see that, in this case, or in most others. It does seem that TS might have slipped for the "good old days," but Sales has always been great in my book.

Because of the limitations imposed by Adobe, I need to have a CS2 version of the software as well.  The problem is I can't buy it.

This was mostly because of the OS change by Mac. It took awhile to port PrPro for it, and then I'm sure that Adobe had to weigh their potential user-base on the Mac vs the cost to re-code it. They already had the code for the PC, and kept with it, until coding could be done. Notice that PrPro is still not a 64-bit program. Coding costs money and takes time. Make a major change in an OS and the software may take a bit to catch up. It did with CS3.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                                  toadstool100 Level 1

Thanks for the information.

Now I know I'm after a PC version.  I looked at the site for old software,

but didn't see CS2.  It might come under another name?  I think the CS2

version of After Effects is 7.0?  Perhaps you could confirm that.

• 22. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                                    toadstool100 Level 1

I'm more interested in the version, not the platform.  As the PC version can

create AVI's, something omitted from Macintosh versions, the PC version is

the better option anyway.  I've noticed a few comments by users with regard

to output options, but no response so far from Adobe.

Sales keep up because there are few alternatives.  I don't say the software

isn't capable, but I do think it is starting to fray around the edges.

Users get frustrated, because the software has so much potential, and then

at the end fails in some significant component.  If the software didn't have

the potential in the first place, I doubt anyone would care when it fails.

If Adobe considered this they could make their software so much better.

• 23. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                                      toadstool100 Level 1

That is useful information.  When I tried to run CS4 and CS3 on the

Macintosh I had a lot of problems.  Though I tried to open files in CS3, CS4

would take over, corrupt my files and crash the computer.  I had to remove

CS4 completely.  I hope that Adobe will still register old software.

Problem is I haven't located a copy yet.

• 24. Re: Can Premiere CS3 import project from Premiere 6.5
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Though contained in the "Production Studio CS2" suite, the official name of the NLE program was Premiere Pro 2.0. This is not to be confused with Premiere 2.0. The PRO is very important here. In the Production Stuido, the version of AfterEffects that shipped was AE 7.0. It was also available as a stand-alone. The CS2 Production Studio (and PrPro 2.0) was available only on the PC. AE 7.0 was X-platform, as was Illustrator and Photoshop. Encore, which was also bundled in the Production Studio CS2 was also available as a PC-only stand-alone app.

It was not until the introduction of CS3, that the official name for Premiere Pro became Premiere Pro CS3. Now, it's CS4. As of CS3, the full compliment of programs (Encore was now bundled with PrPro in CS3 & CS4) was X-platform. There were several "collections," that included programs like Photoshop, AfterEffects, OnLocation, Illustrator and some with the old Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.. This same bundleing is available in CS4 with about four possible levels of purchase.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS sorry for the history lesson, but from the description on what you need, based on your institution's setup, and a mixture of PC's and Mac's, some of this stuff can be very, very important - especially if you're out trying to find older versions of the programs, some of which will likely be PC-only for a couple of releases. Pay very special attention to the name of the program offered - "Pro" will need to appear in the official name. Do not hesitate to come back with a list of what you have found, as in your other thread, and someone will tell you if that is exactly what you want and need. Again, good luck, and happy shopping. I hope you can locate exactly what you need.