2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2008 10:34 AM by Phil Griffith

Voice-Over Microphone: How to set up for MONO Recording

Level 1
      This might sound like the same old question... I'm trying to do voice-overs on Premiere CS3. The recorded sound only comes out of one speaker. Yes, I am familiar with Effects->Stereo-> Left Fill/Right Fill. I don't want stereo. I want mono.

There is a way to set this up so it records from a microphone to one mono track. I know this for a fact because I had it set up that way in Premiere 2.0, but since I upgraded to CS3 and also upgraded my sound card driver my settings were lost and I can't remember how to set it up!!! I'm going on 4 hours googling and going through training videos to jog my memory as to how it's done. Every search I do, I keep getting the left fill/right fill solution.

I am using a mono dynamic microphone (Heil PR40) and the M-Audio Firewire 410 Recording Interface.

Please help!
        • 1. Re: Voice-Over Microphone: How to set up for MONO Recording
          Level 1
          Finally figured it out!!!

It's so simple, I'm embarrassed. I've just been away from Premiere for about a year and the obvious wasn't obvious anymore. Enough excuses...

Just add a mono track! Go to the Timeline panel -> right click on any of the audio tracks -> select "add tracks" -> in the "Audio Tracks" area select "Track Type" as "Mono", in the "Video Tracks" area change "Add [1] Video Track" to "0" (this last step is optional if you don't want to add another video track)-> click "OK".

Now use the new audio track to use your microphone for voice-overs. Now there is no need to mess with left fill/right fill effect filters.

So now the question is... Why is this common question, "why is sound only coming out of one speaker while using a microphone?" given the common answer, "use left fill or right fill effects"?

It seems that using a mono track is the simplest solution. Instead of dragging filters to all of you voice-over clips. Not to mention a mono track takes up less hard drive/disk space than a stereo track. AND, mono is usually suggested by professionals for voice-overs. Am I missing something?
          • 2. Re: Voice-Over Microphone: How to set up for MONO Recording
            Phil Griffith Level 2
            yes, it is the simplest solution, no doubt. You probably hit the nail on the head when you said the obvious wasn't obvious. the only other reason you might want to use a stereo track for mono might be to pan.