4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2008 6:20 AM by Newsgroup_User

can you make a LineChart cumulative?

john isaacks Level 1
      basically I want it to keep adding the previous values as it goes.

for instance if the dataprovider was: 5, 15, 10.

it would instead graph it as 5, 20, 30

make since?
        • 1. Re: can you make a LineChart cumulative?
          Level 7

"john isaacks" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gg4k3c$cgi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > basically I want it to keep adding the previous values as it goes.
          >
          > for instance if the dataprovider was: 5, 15, 10.
          >
          > it would instead graph it as 5, 20, 30
          >
          > make since?

http://demo.quietlyscheming.com/ChartSampler/app.html

General features/watching collections

• 2. Re: can you make a LineChart cumulative?
            john isaacks Level 1
            Thanks for the great link, that is very helpful. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my particular question. I think you misunderstood what I needed. say I was going to graph a company's sales for the year, and I had an array of 12 values, each the total sales for each month. I need the graph to show the total sales for the entire year up to each month not just each month...so the line graph would continually be going up instead of up/down for example. If January was 3,000 and February was 2,000 it would graph February as 5,000 because that is what is in for the year. I currently just used a for loop to create a new array where each index adds all the indexes before it to achieve this.

By the way what is a "Newsgroup User"?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: can you make a LineChart cumulative?
              John Hall Level 4
              Re: Newsgroup User, apparently there's cross-posting a group - but whatever it is, Amy has been very helpful in the forums and she claims to have only been doing Flex for a year. Makes me feel like a slow learner.
              Re: your dataprovider, can you not restructure the array that acts as the dp to show year-to-date instead of individual months? Seems like it would be easiest to alter the dataprovider. You might play around with data filter functions that actually return the total to year to populate your chart.
              • 4. Re: can you make a LineChart cumulative?
                Level 7

"john isaacks" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gg7rd4$io4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks for the great link, that is very helpful. Unfortunately it doesn't
                > solve
                > my particular question. I think you misunderstood what I needed. say I was
                > going to graph a company's sales for the year, and I had an array of 12
                > values,
                > each the total sales for each month. I need the graph to show the total
                > sales
                > for the entire year up to each month not just each month...so the line
                > graph
                > would continually be going up instead of up/down for example. If January
                > was
                > 3,000 and February was 2,000 it would graph February as 5,000 because that
                > is
                > what is in for the year. I currently just used a for loop to create a new
                > array
                > where each index adds all the indexes before it to achieve this.

You could consider doing a dataFunction.

I think newsgroup user means I use NNTP instead of the slow web interface.

HTH;

Amy