10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 1:16 AM by Harm Millaard

HD to SD not looking very good

KJonesy Level 1
      I finally got the original HD tapes, captured them with Canon XH A1 (not my camcorder) as SD. The final DVD is very poor, "ghosting" with movements, etc. Just not clear and crisp looking. I have been reading the forum and will experiment with different codec settings. (If you can recommend the best one, that would save me some time). But, I am also wondering, would it work to capture it as HD, render that to an avi file and then import that into a SD project?
      Also, while I have CS3 and CS2 on my computers, my client has only CS2 and has asked me to work on his computer...I am thinking CS3 is the way to go?
        • 1. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          >"ghosting" with movements...

Perhaps you are transcoding to MPEG-2 with a field order setting which doesn't match that of your source material.
          • 2. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
            Jeron Coolman Level 1
            >I finally got the original HD tapes, captured them with Canon XH A1 (not my camcorder) as SD. The final DVD is very poor, "ghosting" with movements, etc.

What kind of camera shot the "original HD" tapes and in what format; e.g. HD is a pretty broad term encompassing HDV, DVCPROHD, etc. I personally wouldn't trust capturing one manufacturer's "HD footage" from another one's camera/deck. Especially when down-converting.

>But, I am also wondering, would it work to capture it as HD, render that to an avi file and then import that into a SD project?

>I am thinking CS3 is the way to go?

If we are talking about HDV, capture as HDV (using a capture program besides CS3, which is broken), edit as HDV in CS3, then export as SD MPEG for a DVD in Encore.
            • 3. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              If he's using an XH-A1 to play back and down-convert, then it's almost certain the original HD tapes are HDV format, as this is the only HD tape format the A1 will handle.
              • 4. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                I figured as much. I was too lazy to verify it ;)
                • 5. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                  KJonesy Level 1
                  Do not know what camera was used to shot these tapes. Yes, they are HD. Currently trying to export from CS3 using adobe media encoder. Things are looking better. Trying to get rid of the black bars surrounding things. Any advice would be welcome.
                  • 6. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Any details as well.
                    • 7. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                      KJonesy Level 1
                      I finally got the footage looking very good. I followed these instructions from Connor Roberts (Creative Cow forum).

when you export, make sure to use Adobe Media Encoder, choose 4:3 or 16:9, Lower Interlaced, 8mbps CBR with PCM audio (if timeline is 59minutes or less), use 6mbps if timeline is 60-89minutes, use 4mbps if 90-119 minutes. Set multiplexing to DVD, and export. this will generate a file already DVD compliant, meaning if you put it into your DVD authoring program like Encore, it will not have to reconvert, it will just split it up into VOB files ready to burn, takes about 5-10 minutes to author a DVD if you export that way from Premiere.

This worked great for me. I also keep the segments that I am exporting to about 15 minutes or so.
                      • 8. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                        KJonesy Level 1
                        I forgot to mention that I did the exporting from CS3.
                        • 9. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                          Hello Harm,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to edit record and edit in HD 16:9 format and then export in SD 4:3 format so I can use Encore to burn it to a DVD. So far the only way I have found to go from HD to SD is to create an NTSC Standard project into which I import the HD video. I really want to edit it as a HD project so I can also create a HD version of the video in 16:9 format and then somehow also create a Standard 4:3 DVD from the same editing session. I tried exporting the HD timeling to Encore but it did not crop the edges, instead it added black bars to the top and bottom of the frame. I tried exporting the video as an AVI file so I could quickly import it into a Standard NTSC 4:3 project and export it in a cropped 4:3 format, but 5 minutes of video created a 32Gb file. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Mark Miller
                          • 10. Re: HD to SD not looking very good
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            You could try to open a new SD 4x3 project, import your HD footage into it and scale down the image to around 45-50%.