13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 1:20 PM by Jeff Bellune

photoshopserver.exe

Hi,

Been trying to figure out the relation of the exe to the premiere cs3...no luck so far, if anyone could point me to an explaination or just drop a quick note as to what this is, that would be great.

thanks

Ponyack
        • 1. Re: photoshopserver.exe
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Photoshopserver.exe and FNPLicensingServer.exe from Macrovision are both required for the current activation/checking for legal licences.
          • 2. Re: photoshopserver.exe
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            I think photoshopserver.exe is what "serves" Photoshop frames from PSD files into Premiere Pro as footage. I believe it works similarly to how AELinkServer2.exe (which you'll see if you run AE and Dynamic Link) works.
            • 3. Re: photoshopserver.exe
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I had the same observation as Colin. Photoshopserver.exe only seems to show up when I have .psd files linked into my project. And it shows up whether or not I start Photoshop.
              • 4. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                It also starts up when you have no PSD files in your PP project, even when not having opened a PP project at all. Having AE open does not start AELinkServer2.exe.
                • 5. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I myself have only had the Photoshopserver.exe file running when I had .psd files in my project. It doesn't seem to show up for most of my projects, which do not normally have .psd files.
                  • 6. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                    Level 1
                    PhotoshopServer is a Premiere component, and it's part of our Photoshop importer plugin. We've isolated the psd loading code into a separate process in order to reduce memory fragmentation. So it's quite normal to see it sitting idle, as it's only active when using psds, and it's only loaded when required.

Cheers
                    • 7. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Wil,

It seems to load every time when I start PPCS3, even when I haven't opened a project file and also when having a file open that does not include PSD files. So it is loaded even when not required.
                      • 8. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                        I am getting a low memory error when I open the title module. If I continue to work, eventually PP CS3 disappears and I can't run it again until I reboot. In the process of rebooting I discover that the Photoshopserver.exe is still running.
                        Is this a clue in some way? I have a duo core processor, maximum dual channel memory and think it is not a memory problem. I am thinking of going to Vista and 8 GB memory. Maybe that will help. This is very frustrating since PP 2.0 was working just fine.
                        • 9. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                          (thewhit69)
                          In PPCS3, I'm trying to export a sequence through Adobe Media Encoder to Mpeg2. I keep getting a Photoshopserver.exe error and PPCS3 closes and I need to reboot. I have over a dozen .psd files in the sequence, is one of the files corrupted?? Thanks in advance.
                          • 10. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                            Duplicate the sequence and remove one or more .psd files from the duplicate timeline. Try to export the duplicate sequence. Repeat until all the .psd files have been removed or you find the offending file(s).

If that doesn't work, then duplicate the whole project (via Save As...) and then delete the .psd files from the duplicate project completely. Try again to export the sequence. Add the .psd files back one-by-one until you get them all successfully exported, or you until you find the offending file(s).

Do you have to reboot because you can't kill the Premiere task? If so, what audio card do you have installed on your system? If it's SoundBlaster, I recommend updating the drivers at the very least, and for a more permanent solution, buying another card from a better manufacturer like M-Audio.
                            • 11. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                              (thewhit69) Level 1
                              Thanks for the info Jeff. I am giving your advice a try by duplicating the sequence, then deleting one .psd at a time. As for the reboot issue. The file is so large, that when I try to delete it off the drive, it won't allow me, saying "It's still in use". The only way to accomplish this is to reboot, then it frees up the Mpeg2 file, so it can be deleted.
                              • 12. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                                (thewhit69) Level 1
                                Saw an earlier post from you regarding VBR 1-pass versus 2-pass. Because my video has small to moderate movement (even in the .psd files) I decided to use a single pass when encoding to Mpeg2, as the photoshopserver.exe error was always on the second pass. Also, I have over 30 .psd files on the timeline (with 30 minutes of video)and trying to figure out which .psd is causing the issue will take forever. The Mpeg VBR 1-pass encoded with no problems. Thanks for your help!
                                • 13. Re: photoshopserver.exe
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                  Glad you got it worked out. :)