8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2008 2:27 PM by Harm Millaard

AVCHD

I would like to buy Premiere Pro, but I have a Sony HDR-SR8 which uses the AVCHD format. Can anyone tell me if Adobe is planning to this this in their video format list?
        • 1. Re: AVCHD
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          No. Better get a different camera or a different editor.
          • 2. Re: AVCHD
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            Actually, Adobe hasn't announced support for AVCHD, but that doesn't mean that support of that format won't be in future versions or updates.

Adobe historically has been very tight-lipped about new features that may or may not be forthcoming.

-Jeff
            • 3. Re: AVCHD
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > Adobe historically has been very tight-lipped about new features that may or may not be forthcoming.

And they have historically been very late with new features that may ultimately not be forthcoming or are defunct, like HDV capture, to name just one instance. How long has it been that their competitors support HDV and other formats like XDCAM-EX, XDCAM-HD or AVCHD, how long have users been waiting for adequate HDV and other format support, and being tight-lipped about it, it may mean we have to wait for CS6 before all the A/V synch issues are resolved. CS4 is locked down in new features, and HDV capture is probably excluded from the "new features" list, because there are workarounds, like Cineform Aspect, so it is not important for Adobe to solve this issue.
              • 4. Re: AVCHD
                All that may turn out to be true, Harm. :)

But to state flatly (in post #1) that Adobe won't ever support AVCHD is misleading. You may end up being correct, but neither you nor anyone else not connected with Adobe can say for sure at this point.

-Jeff
                • 5. Re: AVCHD
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  The question was:

> Can anyone tell me if Adobe is planning to this this in their video format list?

Well, being tight lipped as they are, the plain answer is NO. Nobody, apart from Adobe can tell whether they plan to support this. I'm not saying that I do not hope for that support, but nobody really knows, apart from Adobe and they keep their mouths shut. This is not misleading, but informative.
                  • 6. Re: AVCHD
                    Whatever. :(
                    • 7. Re: AVCHD
                      Level 1
                      >This is not misleading, but informative

Add to that: gruff and disingenuous. Par for the course.
                      • 8. Re: AVCHD
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Gruff: abrupt or taciturn in manner.

Disingenuous: not candid or sincere.

I disagree with your statement, it was not abrupt, nor taciturn, neither was it candid, it was out in the open and it was and is sincere.

Par for the course does not help with my handicap. I think, but it is up to the referee, I played 4 below PAR.