4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2008 8:37 AM by (Zach_Hilton)

Repeted frame every 5 frames when shoting in 24P HDV (1080i) and editing 1080i30(60i)

I shoting a HDV footage in 24p with a Sony V1 and I uploud to a HDV project 1080i30 (60i) . In this situation appears 1 repeted frame every 4 frame. The 5th frame is equal the 4th, the 10th is equal the 9th, and go on until the 30Th is equal the 29th. What´s the reason of that? Is it all rigth? At the end of the project, my target is to generate a tiff file. And in this tIFF file these repeateds frames don´t occurs. In this case (tiff file) apears two frames no so well defined in some group of frame, but not repeted, I think is that the way of pull down system works. But why the frames looks diferents in the project of Adobe ( with repeted frame) from the TIFF sequence?
        • 1. Re: Repeted frame every 5 frames when shoting in 24P HDV (1080i) and editing 1080i30(60i)
          This is perfectly normal. This is what's called 3:2 pulldown. HDV and many other cameras can record 24p but within a 60i stream. Meaning, you either get repeat frames like you are getting, OR you have split frames. Currently that's the way to get 24p onto MiniDV tapes, DVCPro HD Tapes, etc... Now what you do with that on capture or post-capture, that's where it comes into play. You'll need to remove the 3:2 pulldown before you edit (preferably since your cadence will change over time if you edit your non removed 3:2 pulldown clips if that makes sense). There are many ways to do this. Some easier than others. I'm sure there are tutorials out there for this, but an easy way is to us Ae and interpret footage and have it Guess 3:2 pulldown and your done (minus exporting/importing that is).
          • 2. Re: Repeted frame every 5 frames when shoting in 24P HDV (1080i) and editing 1080i30(60i)
            Level 1
            Thanks Zach, You clear a lot of things. First, I intend to do a DVD, but in a small sequence I gonna buy some special efects from a company and they asked me a TIFF file. I´d like to have the final product in both formats 24 and 30p, because in the future I intend to do a film with this sequence. The question is they sad my sequence (in TIFF file) is out of standard. When I see my adobe project I saw a repeted frame each five frame, but in TIFF sequence is diferente, there is no repeted frame, only some frames with a lit bit disturbution. So, the TIFF file sequence can do diferent from de sequence of aodbe?

Sorry, I didn´t understand your last sentence about ...but as easy way is to us Ae and interpret footage and have it Guess 3:2...

zk
            • 3. Re: Repeted frame every 5 frames when shoting in 24P HDV (1080i) and editing 1080i30(60i)
              Level 1
              Why would you use a 60i preset and not a 24p preset?
              • 4. Re: Repeted frame every 5 frames when shoting in 24P HDV (1080i) and editing 1080i30(60i)
                Level 1
                Like tlc said, if you shot 24p you'll probably want to edit 24p. The thing to note though that if you do, your footage has to be converted to 24p by removing the 3:2 pulldown. Just because your camera shot 24p doesn't mean that that's the way it is on the tape. What you could do (if you have After effects) is import your captured footage, right click on it in the project window, click interpret footage and click on the button "Guess 3:2 Pulldown" and it will do it's magic. It is now 24fps. The only thing you need to do now is to export new clips and edit off of those new ones. The only bad thing with that workflow is that I think it cancels out your timecode so if you ever need to go back to the tapes it will be kind of difficult, well, a pain in the butt, not so much difficult. If you shot in 24p and are planning to go to dvd AND film, then you should be editing in 24p. Dvd's and players support 24p timelines and they will reverse telecine it for you (ie. add back the 3:2 pulldown that you took out), and from there it's easy to go to film. Just export a tiff image sequence and send that to the lab of your choosing. Hope this helps.