12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2008 7:03 AM by (Tony64)

Premiere CS3 and mpeg files

Befor to install the CS3 version of Premier, I would know if Premiere to recognize mpeg files or must rendering it (so Premiere Pro 2)
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Render. The material is not suited for editing and PP does not like it.
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format, To work with AC3 files in Premiere, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore DVD directory into the Premiere directory

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read

There are other products better suited to your task... but if you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2
            • 3. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
              Level 1
              Ok. I have seen your link.
              I have bought a camera Sony HDR-SR8 with 100 Gb hard disk.
              This camera generate mpeg files (work in SD) and AVHCD files (work in HD).
              Now I must work in SD, with mpeg files.
              I import mpeg files in PP, than export it (with Export/move) so AV I file.
              Than import that AVI file in my project and I work my editing.
              That is a long process, but I dont knows to do.
              I believe that PPCS3 was compatibile with mpeg files, but I must render it in timeline and the work is slow down
              Its very strange, because another editing software (many) work with mpeg files.
              • 4. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Many consumer editors do work better with MPEG files than Premiere Pro. We often recommend folks use them with such media. Premiere Elements and Movie Edit Pro from Magix are two examples.
                • 5. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                  Level 1
                  It's a very pity for PPro. But so for me!
                  But I would know if my procedure(I import mpeg files in PP, than export it (with Export/move) so AV I file.
                  Than import that AVI file in my project and I work my editing) are deleterious of the quality or no.
                  I'm not a professional, video editing is my hobby, a beautiful hobby born many years ago (vhs time !!!). I like the good quality in my video and I'm very sorry for my camera Sony HDR-SR8 because generate mpeg file. I believe that the camera with a miniDV cassette is the best quality for immage! Sorry, I'm very sorry for the money expense !!!
                  • 6. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    It is too bad that sales people are not more careful to steer people away from MPEG cameras if editing is their goal.
                    • 7. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      Based on my experience (this is OPINION, no flames required) at least some sales people in the average computer or tech store was asking "would you like to super-size that order" as recently as last week

Even where the sales people know something about the product itself, they have been brainwashed by the "DVD quality video" advertising, and have NO idea that watching and editing require different tools (in this case, different file structures) so they can't point buyers toward the appropriate gear
                      • 8. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                        Level 1
                        I have believed that camera with hard disk 100 Gb was different to camera with DVD !!!
                        I believe that in 100 Gb space the file are AVI and no mpeg. Cursed they !!!
                        I hope that the HD quality (when I'll use it, when I'll buy the HD television set and HD Blu Ray device) is more similar at the AVI quality.
                        Have you some suggestion for use this my camera (it's impossible to sell it without lose many money) for a good video editing?
                        Thanks.
                        • 9. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                          Level 1
                          Excuse my english language, I'm italian.
                          • 10. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Premiere Elements handles video from those cameras better than Premiere Pro.
                            • 11. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                              Level 1
                              Premiere Elements.
                              I have tried Mainconcept Mpeg Pro for Premiere, but the video jump!
                              Premiere Elements. Ok.
                              • 12. Re: Premiere CS3 and mpeg files
                                Level 1
                                I believe that my procedure to import on Premiere Pro 2.0 MPEG files of the Sony HDR-SR8 video camera in order then to convert them in AVI, to do editing video, to export them in AVI and then to make the DVD, does not make to lose the quality. To see in order to believe! I hope that Premiere Pro decides to manipulate AVHCD files, like other programs of the competition.