7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2008 10:02 AM by TradeWind

Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?

I am in need to capture a lot of video for a market research project. I do not need full AVI quality from my DV tapes and I will also run out of disk space very quickly.

I know, and have edited, mpeg 2 in premier pro but can not find how to capture at that greater compression.

Can I do it in premier?

Do I need a plugin?

Do I need a 3rd party?
        • 1. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          >I will also run out of disk space very quickly

At today's disk prices, this should never, ever be a concern to an editor.

Buy more storage. Buy enough storage so that you could store all 7 seasons of STTNG uncompressed on your hard disk array.

Don't make your editing life unnecessarily hard.
          • 2. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
            TradeWind Level 3
            Western Digital has a 750 GB drive that can be had for $150 bucks right now. I think $0.20 per GB is pretty darn reasonable.

Anyway...if you do want to capture straight in as MPEG-2 for some reason, you can probably find a capture device that will let you do this. The brand name "Dazzle" rings a bell, maybe check that out.

Also, I know the old Ulead Media Studio Pro packages used to let you capture as MPEG-2. That should be pretty affordable to acquire.

In both cases, you're probably spending $50-$150 anyway, so why not just get a bigger drive?
            • 3. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD camcorder or other MPEG device, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format, To work with AC3 files in Premiere, it MAY work to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore DVD directory into the Premiere directory

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read

There are other products better suited to your task... but if you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2
              • 4. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
                TradeWind Level 3
                John - just a heads up, the OP mentioned that he is capturing FROM his DV tapes, so the source file is compatible. MPEG-2 is the format he wants to convert to on-the-fly during capture.

alanpayne - One additional recommendation...if you DO DECIDE that you absolutely MUST have your captured files in MPEG-2 format, you can always capture as DV AVI, then use something like Sorenson Squeeze to batch convert all your files to MPEG-2. But - as is clearly documented all over these forums - MPEG-2 is neither intended for editing nor does it take well to editing. It is after all a delivery format.

So...don't do it, just buy a new drive, you'll be happier.
                • 5. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
                  Level 1
                  I have 2 TB in a SATA raid but I have about 40 hours of tape.

I do focus groups and I'm wanting to build a digital library to edit different topics together for my internal clients and didn't know if compressing on capture could keep me from buying a bigger raid.

Thank you all for the responses, I should buy a bigger raid.
                  • 6. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    40 hours of DV or HDV material is only 520 GB, so you have plenty of room.
                    • 7. Re: Is capturing as MPEG 2 or greater Compression possible in CS3?
                      TradeWind Level 3
                      uh, yeah, 2 TB is P-L-E-N-T-Y of storage for that task, assuming that's all it's being used for.

in fact, if you consider that you can get 2 TB of storage for under $500, it should be a no brainer that you don't ever need to run out of storage.

I believe there are scalable external RAID systems out there right now - some even running on eSATA - that are great. Throw in a handful of drives, add more later. These systems are often a little pricey (anywhere from a few hundred bucks to over a $1,000 or more) and so it pays to shop around.