18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2008 3:17 PM by (medeamajic)

After Effects vs PP CS3?

Level 1
      Does After Effects have more RT preview power than PP CS3?
        • 1. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Both programs handle previews very differently. Premiere's ability depends primarily on your processing power. After Effects can do a real time preview of anything, regardless of CPU power, if you have enough RAM. The flip side is that without enough RAM, After Effects can have trouble with previews no matter how much CPU power you have.
          • 2. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
            Level 1
            Would 2 GIGs be enough RAM for AE? Does the AE preview look good on an NTSC monitor if you have an AD/DA converter using DV-25 video? Does it take 2-3 seconds for the preview to start?

I can not get the trial version to work. That is why I am asking.
            • 3. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Those are questions better asked in the After Effects forum.
              • 4. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                Level 1
                I asked in these forums because the Premiere Pro user could tell if the After Effects RT preview look as good as the Premiere Pro RT preview on the NTSC monitor. I know many people who use AE but not Premiere Pro. On the other hand many Premiere Pro users also use AE. In draft quality me PP RT previews look crappy. I can only hope the AE previews look good.

I am tempted to get the bundle package from Adobe.
                • 5. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  For the external monitor question, both are likely to look the same, as they're both NTSC signals. There's not a lot of variation allowed there.
                  • 6. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                    Level 1
                    Jim,

Premiere Pro only displays none interlaced frames for the RT previews. That is why I set the field option to deinterlace for the PIP effect and slow motion during RT previews. The image quality will be like VHS but it will look very smooth with no jitters. By default PP CS3 will show interlacing artifacts for the non interlaced RT preview (it has to). Color Correction and many other effects do play both the interlaced fields so the do not look jerky. I wish PP CS3 did interlace the fields during RT playback of PIP effects.

AE previews might be the same way as PP.
                    • 7. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >Premiere Pro only displays none interlaced frames for the RT previews.

That's incorrect. During a pause, Premiere will show both fields externally. This is why things tend to stutter. But during playback, it's a standard interlaced signal, very smooth with no jitters. If it stutters at all, it's because your system can't handle the unrendered load. The solution is to render.

One reason why deinterlacing might smooth out unrendered playback is because Premiere's deinterlace option just throws out half the vertical resolution. But this is a very unorthodox way around the problem. The two standard ways are to render, or get a more powerful system.
                      • 8. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                        Level 1
                        I know Premiere Pro will pause on the timeline with the entire frame (both fields cause jitter). The RT preview with most filters and most transitions are interlaced but the PIP is not interlaced. You can even ask Adobe about it. It is in the manual. That is why your PIPs look jittery during RT previews even if you had a quad core. My RT images look clean and jitter free. They almost look like they a rendered.
                        • 9. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          The effects and transition should follow the project preset. If you're working in an interlaced preset, all effects and transitions should render (and play back) as interlace to match.
                          • 10. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                            Level 1
                            Your not reading what I write correct. The rendering will be interlaced for all effects including the PIP. We all now that. What you do not know or comprehend is that the RT preview for the PIP is not interlaced. That is why I deinterlaced my PIP clip during the RT preview. It will look much better during the preview but you would not want to leave the PIP clip deinterlaced for the final render. PP would infact render the PIP clip deinterlaced if it was selected for the field option. Infact I suggest you try deinterlacing a PIP clip today and see how the RT preview looks. I bet the preview will look much better deinterlaced. For filters there is no reason to deinterlace for the RT previews and then switch it back at the time of render because it is deinterlaced during RT previews and the final render both. It always looks good. Does it finaly make sense now? I am not asking how Premiere Pro works. I just wanted to know if AE was better or worse for RT previews than PP CS3. Perhaps some one will know the answer.
                            • 11. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                              Level 1
                              ❖ In the Source or Program Monitor panel menu, choose a quality setting:
                              Highest Quality Displays video in the monitor at full resolution.
                              Draft Quality Displays video in the monitor at one-half resolution.
                              Automatic Quality Measures playback performance and dynamically adjusts quality.
                              Note: All quality settings use a bilinear pixel resampling method to resize the video image. For exporting a sequence, a
                              cubic resampling method (which is superior to bilinear) is used.

There is a method to my madness folks. The paragraph above is in your manual. This is another reason why the PIP and even some transitions look like crap during the RT preview. I can only imagine After Effects is a little better than Premiere Pro in the RT preview department.
                              • 12. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                After Effects doesn't have RT previews.
                                • 13. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                  akribie Level 2
                                  After Effects has RAM previews, but they run at a speed determined by the power of the host system.

There are facilities for previewing the rendered output (either every frame or every other frame to save time), but there is a wait time for the rendering before full-speed replay starts.

On balance, RT previews in Premiere are significantly more responsive than those of AE, but in both cases you don't get the full glory of the rendered result at proper speed unless you render segments where effects are applied before the preview.

Using the work area bar in both applications to track the area of interest can make rendering much less of a chore during editing.
                                  • 14. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    >What you do not know or comprehend is that the RT preview for the PIP is not interlaced.

It would have to be in an interlaced preset going out to an external monitor. Premiere's own program monitor is a different story. From post 5 on, I was talking only about external previews.
                                    • 15. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                      Level 1
                                      Daivd,

Thanks for the info. None of the Adobe trial versions work on my computer so I have to get info here.

Jim,

All I am saying is that if I deinterlace the PIP clip for the RT preview it looks much better on the NTSC monitor and the computer monitor. Please take my word on that. Premiere Pro is not true RT like Edius no matter how fast your system is. Any PIP or transition that uses scaling of any kind will look better with deinterlacing applied for the RT preview only. You would not want to deinterlace the PIP for the final render. Like the manual says PP uses bilinear sampleing for previews but cubic samplng for the final render. We can only hope the PP CS4 will have a better RT preview method (maybe true RT instead of previews).
                                      • 16. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        And what I am saying is that if deinterlacing helps with the unrendered previews it's because your system can handle the half resolution deinterlaced preview better than the full resolution interlaced preview.

I don't doubt your observations. I'm just trying to correct the "why". Premiere's previews will match the project preset for effects and transitions. Interlaced project, interlaced previews - both RT and rendered.

Now the point of this effort is as stated before. While temporarily deinterlcing might work, you seem to think it's a pain in the butt. The two more common solutions would be to render first, or get a better system.
                                        • 17. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                          TradeWind Level 3
                                          AE and PPro are different in some very important ways...previewing is one of those ways. AE, since is not a video editing application, will provide real time previews of only that which has been rendered. It can render on-the-fly during playback, but it will start dropping frames immediately, pretty much no matter the system (okay okay...you might have a pretty awesome system, running 10's of 1,000's of $$$).

PPro reduces quality (and SOMETIMES frame rate) to make sure that a second is a second...real time...playing back 1 minute of footage takes exactly that long, even if you only saw half of the detail and frame count.

That goes for external displays as well.

I don't really follow the other discussion about interlacing or not with PIP or any of that, sooooo....have at it.
                                          • 18. Re: After Effects vs PP CS3?
                                            Level 1
                                            Christian,

Thanks for the info. I think Premiere Pro may have a better RT system for the way I like to edit.

Jim,

I have a core 2 dual and a Dual Core P4. The RT previews that have scaling (PIP and some transitions)will not look great no matter what because the RT preview mode is of much less quality than the rendered version. Getting a faster system (quad core) is not going to help. Because of the RT preview method the PIPs look better if I select deinterlacing to the PIP clip. The PIP would look better on any system (even a quad core) if deinterlacing is applied because of the RT method used by Adobe. This would not be the case if they opted for cubic linear sampling but I think it requires to much CPU power over the blinear resampling.

You can even talk to the techs at Adobe. I even took a sentence out of the manual to prove my point!

Have you tried deinterlacing a PIP clip on your system? If you would just do as I ask I imagine you would say. "Medeamajic I see what you mean. The PIP clip does look much smother if deinterlacing is apllied to the PIP clip for RT previews". This is because of the RT method used by Premiere Pro. A faster system will make no difference.