4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2008 9:28 PM by (medeamajic)

Mixing 30p With 60i Footage On Same Timeline

Level 1
      We have an HD television at work, and I have seen SD videos play clear on it...which means they must be progressive DVDs, but I want to know how to get that clear export quality from a project wher eI am using XL2 shot in 30p, and GL2 shot natively (not in frame mode), so that's 60i right?

I have Boris Continuum Complete which has "BCC DeInterlace" as a part of it I can use on the GL2 clips in my timeline, -OR- Should I use Canopus ProCoder to deinterlace all the GL2 tape files, then relink them in Premiere? OR Should I use Adobe's built in field options by right-clicking on each GL2 clip and selecting "always deinterlace"

I REALLY want to export as progressive, since 80% of my footage is from the GL2, and After Effects AVI comp exports which are all already progressive. I want this to look good on old televisions as well as ouyr HD television so I need to conform the GL2 to match the XL2 right? I really don
      t want to export interlaced/lower, because all my DVDs tha tI have made as Interlaced look jagged and bad on our HD monitor, and yes, I KNOW they are SD, but we watched another SD video that was crystal clear on our HD monitor, so how do I need to change my export/encoding habits? Thanks

::: Connor
        • 1. Re: Mixing 30p With 60i Footage On Same Timeline
          Level 1
          Dang it...I just burned 3 DVDs, like 10 seconds of video each (5 seconds from GL2 @ 60i and 5 seconds from XL2 @30p)

===
          DVD 1 Info:
          Exported using Adobe Media Encoder, no audio, 4:3, Lower/Interlaced, burned with Encore

DVD 2 Info:
          Exported using Adobe Media Encoder, no audio, 4:3, Progressive, Field Options on GL2 clip changed to "Always Deinterlace", burned with Encore

DVD 2 Info:
          Exported using Adobe Media Encoder, no audio, 4:3, Progressive, BCC Deinterlace plugin applied to GL2 clip, burned with Encore
          ===

DVD1 looked the best, I don't get it!! *Sigh* Should I interlace my XL2 footage? I am just mad that I am getting some clear, and some jaggy video on the same DVD on the same TV.

BOTTOM LINE:
          ============
          Do I need to deinterlance the GL2 tape files, or Interlace the XL2 tape files prior to rendering?

• 2. Re: Mixing 30p With 60i Footage On Same Timeline
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            This is probably not much help now, but in the future, shoot everything in 60i and leave it that way throughout.
            • 3. Re: Mixing 30p With 60i Footage On Same Timeline
              Level 1
              Yeah, I shoot everything in 60i usually, but 30p is SO much more beautiful you know, so I shot all my footage with my XL2 in 30p, then later on the client wanted to add in some GL2 footage. Originally, I was told my footage would be the only footage for this particular DVD, otherwise I would have obviously shot in 60i had I know it would have to mix with other footage, hence the reason for this thread. I shoot in 60i pretty much all the time usually. Oh well.

• 4. Re: Mixing 30p With 60i Footage On Same Timeline
                Level 1
                Using the Adobe deinterlace method under field options will only use 1/2 the data (it use only one field). You need software than can inerpolate the missing field inoto a progresive frame. Boris might work that way.